Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#62607 - 08/16/02 11:14 AM strange new vibes on the message board
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
Some idle musings of mine... Perhaps it's the spirit of the times, with a possible war looming, economic woes and so on, but have the rest of you noticed that there's been a shift in mood on the board of late?
I'm referring to the fact that a number of debates have turned so nasty recently that all debate has been rendered almost impossible.
Of course debate is a very healthy thing, and it's great to share points of view. I even enjoy arguing with people, in a civilized manner, who have opinions totally opposed to my own, so I'm not suggesting some topics are best avoided, although I doubt there's going to be much meeting of minds in a debate conducted on the internet. Face to face over a few beers would be better.
What I do feel is that threads which would have aroused little controversy a year ago, such as PIM's innocent question if anyone had gone to gay pride, now seem to generate cyber warfare.
Perhaps we all should try to adhere to some code of conduct, for example, stick firmly to the topic. Then if we disagree with someone, address only the points we disagree with and not introduce red herrings.
We have, thanks to Madridman, a fun little community here. I'm sure we can all have wonderfully varied opinions on everything under the sun, but debate them in a friendly, good-natured and respectful way.
Now, about gay anti-American members of ETA who want to get married to get a green card...

#62608 - 08/16/02 12:08 PM Re: strange new vibes on the message board
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
"Face to face over a few beers would be better."
I totally agree Barry!
CHEERS!

#62609 - 08/16/02 12:20 PM Re: strange new vibes on the message board
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I don't know what all the hub-bub is about...we go through this about every five months...we're all posting on things Spain-related and then someone blows up a car and a kid in Andalucía, everyone posts their frustrations and hatred for ETA, then we "debate" a while, (no one argues that killing is right, so we must all agree...not sure where the debate is there), then someone takes things personal, MadridMan shuts down the topic, and we move on...until the next car bomb.

I look at it this way: "There must needs be opposition in all things." If we didn't know conflict [posts on car bombs], we wouldn't appreciate the confluence [Asturias post]. We can disagree in one thread and then agree wholeheartedly in another. I would never think to take things personally on this board...life is too short, and with the exception of about five you, I couldn't pick you out of a crowd of two. I'm curious about your opinions, but when the day is done, I'll share a paella with you, not thirst for your blood (well, maybe your blood sausage [morcilla])!

Frankly, there are very few things that I discuss with any deep conviction and passion. Spain is one, Euskadi another, and hockey still another. Outside of that, I just enjoy different opinions...whether or not there's money in my bank account or if my government is planning an attack on another.

Let's let MadridMan moderate...as he has been doing so effectively for years...and keep up the interchange of opinions. And as someone has already posted months ago, please just post, don't take everything as a personal attack!

CaliBasco [Who plans to "lighten up" tonight with some paella, lamb and good Basque music...if you're in Chino, CA tonight, e-mail me and I'll give you directions!]

#62610 - 08/16/02 12:33 PM Re: strange new vibes on the message board
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
[morcilla])!!!!!!!!!!!
MY FAVORITE SPANISH DISH
(de Burgos of course, that's where my wife is from)

#62611 - 08/16/02 03:15 PM Re: strange new vibes on the message board
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Barry,

I don't believe we really fight. Actually it's more along the lines of "heated debate." If you watch the countdown to an election in the US, you can see a lot worse things said by Democrats against Republicans, and vice-versa.

You also have to remember that CaliBasco and I feel strongly about Basque Country, and Cooter is very knowledgeable about Spain, and particular, the history of the Basques. He may not agree with Cali and I at times, but we forgive him - :p !

Heck! We even forgive AnchovyFront for being a Brit, living in the South of Spain, and causing British Marines to land on the wrong beach while practicing invasions. rolleyes

The only one we have problems with is Toddy, because he never voices his opinion on anything - laugh wink

Wolf (Trying hard to keep a straight face - cool )

#62612 - 08/16/02 03:38 PM Re: strange new vibes on the message board
barry Offline

I agree Wolf, and heated debate can be very constructive. I'm the first one to enjoy a good brawl. I was just pointing out that lately the heat has gone, perhaps, thermonuclear, and that there wasn't much debate! Maybe it's just me being sensitive. Now that would be a first...

#62613 - 08/16/02 03:48 PM Re: strange new vibes on the message board
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Valid points one and all. smile

Perhaps the next heated debate calls for a mass exodus to Madrid so we can all meet face to face, share a paella, raise a glass of wine and enjoy the many opinions shared here. Communicating is easier face to face at times ....

Besides - any excuse to go to Spain is a good one wink

#62614 - 08/16/02 03:51 PM Re: strange new vibes on the message board
barry Offline

But would we ever agree on where to meet?

#62615 - 08/16/02 03:52 PM Re: strange new vibes on the message board
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
laugh laugh laugh

#62616 - 08/16/02 04:00 PM Re: strange new vibes on the message board
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
Quote:
Perhaps the next heated debate calls for a mass exodus to Madrid so we can all meet face to face, share a paella, raise a glass of wine and enjoy the many opinions shared here.
Exactly, Puna! Maybe then many would drop the many assumptions that develop on message boards. The amount of "projection" that occurs in these Internet environments is incredible. Sit people face to face, give them good drink and good food, and rational people are capable of mature discussion and conversation.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments