Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#62494 - 08/05/02 10:41 PM Reverse Culture Shock
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
I arrived back in the USA today (after 3 months study abroad in spain) frown . I had been warned on this board of "reverse culture shock", Chica, you were so right. I have not been on U.S. soil for 24 hours, and I am already ready to jump on the next plane back to Spain. Help!! What types of things can I do now that I am back here in the usa to still feel a part of spain (besides remaining a part of this wonderful message board of course wink )?? I am in Spain withdrawl! eek
Kelly

#62495 - 08/06/02 12:17 AM Re: Reverse Culture Shock
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
What helps me, is to learn and make Spanish cuisine. I'm not very good, and my food isn't either, but I can make a mean Tortilla and my potage de lenetejas isn't half bad either. Sometimes, I have people in Spain send me Bollicao and kinderhuevos, filipinos, and alioli, just for kicks. Spanish music? Throw a little Antonio Flores or Rosana in the cd player. Plus it helps that my wife is Spanish je je je

#62496 - 08/06/02 02:53 AM Re: Reverse Culture Shock
MAD for Madrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
Kelar, It's been 15 years since I last moved back to the US after living in Spain but I still remember that reverse culture shock. It is hard but if you're not careful it can get worse.

Making Spanish food, reading Spanish books and magazines, and listening to Spanish music all help. But be ready that your friends and family may soon tire of seeing your fotos or hearing your stories. Try to find the things that you really liked and enjoyed about the USA and dive in. You don't need to forget Spain (heaven forbid eek ) but you do need to "live" where you are living.

That's not to say give up on Spain. I kept my interest and love of Spain alive and now, here I am living in Madrid again laugh cool

It will pass though it is a tough few months. And keep visiting us here at MM smile

#62497 - 08/06/02 06:49 PM Re: Reverse Culture Shock
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Thanks so much for the advice. I did bring back lot of books and magazines in spanish to read. One thing I was thinking earlier today-- does anybody know if it is possible to subscribe to a Spain based magazine while living in the USA?
Any more suggestions?
Kelly smile

#62498 - 08/06/02 10:09 PM Re: Reverse Culture Shock
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hi,
As a librarian, I order international periodicals direct, particularly from Spain, England, France and Italy.
Yes indeeed, it is possible to subscribe to a Spanish magazine and have it delivered here. Contact the magazine's circulation department and ask them for costs delivery to a U.S. address. Be aware that if you have the periodicals mailed air mail, the cost is a bit higher than surface mail, while cheaper takes forever.

Then there are magazines like Hola which has a subsidiary here in the U.S. and have an international version, which means that it is printed here, but the news is entirely from Spain.

Also large bookstores like Borders, Barnes & Noble and Books A Million will also carry single issues of Spanish magazines.

Also, there is a website called Mediactivity.com that sells Spanish newspapers and magazines.

Saludos,
Booklady
¡Viva los Libros! wink

#62499 - 08/16/02 07:07 AM Re: Reverse Culture Shock
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Kelly --
Welcome back to the USA! I am with MAD for Madrid, sounds like we went through similar situations.... was 15 years ago that I went through the reverse culture shock and am now back living in Spain. Actually right now I have the immense pleasure of taking my parents around who are here visiting for the month. After all these years, they are finally learning and seeing why I am so in love with Spain!

MAD gave some excellent advice, don´t forget Spain, but do remember that you have your culture to re-integrate yourself back into. Your friends and family WILL tire of hearing your Spain stories and seeing your Spain pictures. But don´t lose hope, it´s a great way to get out and meet new people. There must be a Spanish community in IL no? Seek it out! Read the Spanish papers and magazines online: El País , El Mundo .

Look for the opportunities to keep up the Spanish. Chat online with Spaniards. Start a tapas club in your area...there are tons of things that you can do!

Good luck!

#62500 - 08/16/02 12:13 PM Re: Reverse Culture Shock
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
My wife loves to read Diez Minutos online. Also, you can always request your local library to subscribe to Hola. (not many people make requests, so you never know)

#62501 - 08/16/02 03:44 PM Re: Reverse Culture Shock
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
Log on to www.hola.com for your Spanish celebrity fix. After reading all about the adventures of los chicos de operación triunfo and the gorgeous Ana Obregón you'll wish you weren't here

#62502 - 08/16/02 10:46 PM Re: Reverse Culture Shock
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Well, I have been home almost 2 weeks, and you guys were right on. People are already tired of hearing "Spain this, Spain that". I am in such "Castellano" withdrawl, that I have found myself having conversations with myself in spanish a couple times...now that is sad eek !
If not for the internet I would be in real trouble, I talk to my host family, and friends everycouple days with instant messenger. Hopefully when I head beack to my University in a week, I will have an easier time. I will have a couple spanish classes, and my spanish television channels back rolleyes . Also, I was thinking of maybe trying to find a conversation exchange with Spanish exchange student here in the USA, anybody have experience here?

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 816 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments