MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#62451 - 07/30/02 02:53 PM Getting a driverīs license in Spain
Steve-in-Madrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hi everybody,

Iīm an American whoīs been living and working in Madrid for the past year and a half. Iīm just now getting around to the driverīs license deal. Iīm studying the book, etc. and have signed up for classes at my neighborhood auto escuela...but I just wanted to make sure that there were no shortcuts to this. Do I have any other options to get my license??? Does anybody have any tips on this?
I just sucks to have to go through this. Iīve been driving for 16 years and starting from scratch isnīt much fun. Getting home after a long day a work and busting open the driving manual isnīt one of my favorite activities.

Thanks in advance if anyone has any encouraging words on this.

#62452 - 07/30/02 03:53 PM Re: Getting a driverīs license in Spain
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Nope... study up!

#62453 - 07/30/02 04:26 PM Re: Getting a driverīs license in Spain
Los_Toreros Offline

Loc: Wauseon, Ohio via Madrid
Steve,

Check with the Consulate at the Embassy. I was in the Air Force stationed just outside of Madrid and was able to get a license in 1 day after taking a simple class and test. I know the military might have gotten some special treatment, but it's worth a try.

Good Luck!

#62454 - 07/31/02 11:12 AM Re: Getting a driverīs license in Spain
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Hit the books chief! And when you get your license, just forget everything you've learned and practiced and you'll be able to confidently drive like everyone else in Spain!!! laugh laugh laugh

#62455 - 07/31/02 12:27 PM Re: Getting a driverīs license in Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Along the same lines.... Someone sent me an email yesterday, an "American", saying he was ALREADY living in Madrid and wanted to know how he could get an "International Driver's License".

I wasn't sure and I told him so but mentioned that it might have been better to have gotten one from AAA (American Automobile Association) before going to Spain, which would be good for an entire year and maybe when/if he returned for a visit to the USA to get a new one for another year. I told him that the Spanish "officials" wouldn't likely accept his "state-of-whatever" drivers license as official since they wouldn't likely have ever seen one before and could have been false.

Can someone, a non EU, get an international drivers license in Spain??? Anyone know?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#62456 - 07/31/02 05:36 PM Re: Getting a driverīs license in Spain
Steve-in-Madrid Offline

Loc: Madrid
Thanks for the reply guys. I guess youīre right, my only option is to study up. That sucks, but oh well...

I just hope that, when I go to take the official test, I donīt get too many of those questions dealing with the motorcycle with "sidecar" or the nuances of the "turismo" with "remolque" for Godīs sake.

Un saludo,

Steve

#62457 - 08/01/02 01:27 PM Re: Getting a driverīs license in Spain
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Enjoy driving around with that green "L" on your car for awhile. Remember, we love you and the "L" doesn't stand for "loser".

#62458 - 08/06/02 06:00 PM Re: Getting a driverīs license in Spain
tonytorero Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain via Kansas City,...
Quote:
I wasn't sure and I told him so but mentioned that it might have been better to have gotten one from AAA (American Automobile Association) before going to Spain
That advice is better (not to mention less expensive) than going to Autoescuela and subsequently having to tote around one of those disgusting 'L's' on your car...Just in case it's not too late to get your money back.

I've been living and driving in Madrid for 4 years, mailing my International license renewal form to the AAA once a year. They mail the license to my parents and my parents in turn send it to me. Just keep your individual stateside license up to date and you'll be ok with that plan.

As is common in Spain, I've been stopped for site checks by the Guardia Civil 3 times since I've been here and they've never given me a problem with it...Food for thought. wink

#62459 - 08/07/02 04:11 AM Re: Getting a driverīs license in Spain
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
The wiser route indeed... but do you own a car or have you bought one and with insurance?

#62460 - 08/07/02 05:48 AM Re: Getting a driverīs license in Spain
tonytorero Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain via Kansas City,...
Hey Asterault...It's at this point that I should probably say DUH!!! :o

You're absolutely right. In my case, I'm married to a local and my 'suegros' are in the transportation business, so we benefit from their insurance contacts. It's obviously something, as you can tell by my 'despiste,' that I take for granted.

You tell me, Is there a way that you know of to independently take out an insurance policy if you're driving on an international permit? I'd have to think that it would be possible, but it very well may cost quite a bit more.... confused I'd be interested to hear if someone's done it...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments