Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#62431 - 09/10/02 09:56 AM Re: To Americans with marriage plans (a word of advice)
Sarita Offline

Loc: Sevilla
Madridman, please don't delete this thread or if you must, please move it to another location to avoid the ad--it's just getting interesting! I've actually heard about that book. Perhaps the post-er is just telling us about it but who knows.

Boy, do I know about this topic...my Spanish national husband decided in Jan 01 to move to the US to be with me. So we applied for a fiancee visa. I had to send the application to the US INS sponsoring him and declaring our intention to be married within 3 months of his arrival. He had to have an interview with the US consulate in Madrid and they stamped his passport and sent it back to him in Sevilla. He had it by March 01. He flew to Boston at the end of March 01 and we visited INS shortly after his arrival to get his Employment Authorization (EAD) card, but they had stamped his passport with work authorization upon his arrival anyway. We were married on May 5 01 and then went to INS a couple weeks later with our marriage certificate and they gave him a new EAD card. Then we began the process to apply for his Permanent Resident card (also known as the infamous "green card") and he had within a year of our marriage. That involved an interview with INS to prove we were married, but it wasn't as bad as we thought it was going to be. (i.e. they didn't ask me what color toothbrush he uses!) All in all, the process wasn't too bad. If anyone has any specific questions, I would really be glad to be a resource. I work in Human Resources and deal with immigration-related matters on a daily basis so I am fairly knowledgeable. There's lots of paperwork and you HAVE to be prepared with anything INS asks you for, so don't throw anything away. (read: save your plane ticket stubs!)

Saludos,

Sarita

#62432 - 09/10/02 06:02 PM Re: To Americans with marriage plans (a word of advice)
WB Offline

Loc: Philadelphia
Sarita.....I'm freaking out here......you met a guy from Sevilla and you two decided to have him come to the the United States?? frown I would give my right arm in a heartbeat to live in Sevilla. I am itching to get out of here (USA). Not a day goes by without my dreaming about moving to Sevilla. Why did you decide to have him come here instead of you moving there?

Winston

#62433 - 09/10/02 07:40 PM Re: To Americans with marriage plans (a word of advice)
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
For love, opportunity, and ANOTHER beautiful country the United States of America!!!!!!! laugh

#62434 - 09/10/02 09:09 PM Re: To Americans with marriage plans (a word of advice)
Sarita Offline

Loc: Sevilla
I know, I know, how dare I pass up the opportunity to move to Sevilla...somehow I knew I would get that reaction from this board...

But, don't worry...it's in the works! TRUST ME! eek

We decided to live here for the time being to save some money and while I pay off my student loans.....plus my husband is enjoying the opportunity to live here, learn English, and get some great work experience...

Man, I hate that our reasons are financial. frown

WB, what's your connection with our lovely hometown of Sevilla?

Saludos,
Sarita

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments