Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 14 of 15 < 1 2 12 13 14 15 >
Topic Options
#62358 - 06/25/02 01:27 PM Re: World Cup!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Migueltio,

I was in agreement with you, just taking it one step further where I don't want to attend games at all, because I'm beginning to think the only way we can get sports to be run cleanly is if we boycott them.

It's just like baseball. On August 11th or 12th, the players will be going on strike. I quit going to games in 1994 when they went on strike and destroyed the rest of the season. If it happens again this year, I will begin boycotting their sponsors, and even games on TV. I'm getting tired of the games becoming businesses and political venues, instead of contests of skill. For some reason, governing bodies don't recognize the fact that we, the fans, are what drives the market, and makes their games possible. They better learn, or they're in for some real problems in the future.

Wolf

#62359 - 06/25/02 02:05 PM Re: World Cup!
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Cooter: If you look at the endline-vantage replay, you see the ball already being centered and then the idiot side judge slide into the picture and raise his flag...as the ball is being headed into the goal...you're right, the fix was on!

And Wolf, maybe MLB will go on strike and we'll be done with America's Most Boring Past-time once and for all! I like how Barry Bonds equated what he does to "the working men and women of America, who are out there driving buses, etc..." Do you know of any school districts that pay $20 million/year to drive kids to school? eek Where do I deliver my application for employment?

#62360 - 06/25/02 02:15 PM Re: World Cup!
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
Yes, the refereeing in Spain v. Korea bordered on scandalous, but I have to agree with Toddy that Spain played poorly. Sure, they dominated proceedings in the 1st half, but one doesn't get points for mere possesion, you gotta 'put it in the old onion bag' (as Tommy Smythe likes to say). Spain lacked finish, a killer instinct to put Korea away when the opportunities presented themselves. The Spanish side played like, dare I say it, Spanish: laid back, no real sense of urgency. I again agree with Toddy that the place to start in improving the national team is at coach. How about a non-Spaniard. Mike Ditka would be perfect. Sure, he doesn't know squat about futbol, but he didn't know much about football either. He'd make the Spanish squad into a tough bunch!

Too bad about the Koreans today. Their coach said they would come at Germany like 'Young Dogs'. Hey, coach, they EAT dogs in Korea! Looks like he was right!

#62361 - 06/25/02 02:20 PM Re: World Cup!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Cali,

I agree. I get tired of athletes referring to themselves as "blue collar workers," when they make millions each year for their services, even when they don't deliver, are moody, pout, and can't act like they're members of the human race.

It happens in football (soccer) too. Look at Maradona. Mentioning that jerk in the same breath as Pele is like cussing at Pele. Where Pele was good for the game, Maradona was good for the drug trafficers.

Wolf (Who thinks substance abuse should be an automatic lifetime ban from any given sport, not a slap on the wrist like the NFL and NBA, which requires them to be spanked by a good looking cheerleader the second time around. Hey! I might even like that myself!)

#62362 - 06/25/02 02:30 PM Re: World Cup!
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
I see that the Korean team had a little theme song they blasted to the crowds there.

I have some ideas for their theme song, such as "I get by with a little help from my friends" or "Like a prayer"...

#62363 - 06/26/02 02:26 AM Re: World Cup!
Miguelito Offline

Sorry Wolf, but I have to desagree with you now. I'm pro Maradona, I think he has been probably the best futbol player of the history, it was wonderful to see him playing, although it's a petty how he destroyed his life. There have been lots of articles talking about this here in Spain, but when you become a god with a very basic education in a foreign country and with not the convenient people around you ....
Bad examples are good to avoid them.

#62364 - 06/29/02 01:24 AM Re: World Cup!
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
Hey, have all of you stopped caring about the Copa Mundial? The Semis were quite good. Too bad about the Turks, what a hard-nosed bunch. Probably the second best side in the tournament.

Gotta say UBER DEUTSCHLAND!, since I'm part German myself, and I like to root for the underdog. The Brasilians are so good. They're so fast, its like they have 22 players. Despite the bitter finish for Spain mad , its been a highly entertaining show. And I have enjoyed the international perspective from this boards members.

#62365 - 06/29/02 09:15 AM Re: World Cup!
LostInMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Kurt, actually I have. I'll watch the final game tomorrow for sure, but I wasn't even thinking about today's game until I ran across the live scoreboard on ElMundo.es.

Last Friday was sad, the U.S. was soooooo close. And then Saturday morning we woke up to Spain getting robbed. After that I haven't been interested. Call me a sore loser. ;-)

Did anyone else read that article about how the Germans wonder why everyone hates them? (They think it's because they're rich and have good taste). Very amusing. Go Brazil!

-Russ

#62366 - 06/29/02 01:04 PM Re: World Cup!
Castiza Offline

Loc: Madrid
Well, after last Saturday Spain-S.Corea joke (to Corean because it wasn't funny at all for us), the World Cup has lost some of the initial interest in Spain.
However, it seem S.Corea hasn't been so lucky with the following referees. Today it's been defeated by Turkey (who didn't received any help in all tournament and still has reached the 3rd position, good for them!).
Brazil and Germany in the final, as it was expected. I'm pro-Brazil, Brazilian soccer players are artist, creative and good technique over defensive Germany.

#62367 - 06/30/02 01:51 PM Re: World Cup!
LostInMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
To wrap this topic up, nice job today Brazil! It was a good game, though sort of boring when you don't really care either way. I'm more happy that Germany lost and that Roberto Carlos' team (my favorite Real Madrid player) won.

2006 seems like such a long way away. But then again, so did 2002... ;-)

-Russ

Page 14 of 15 < 1 2 12 13 14 15 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments