Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15 >
Topic Options
#62258 - 06/07/02 01:11 PM Re: World Cup!
Cooter Offline

Loc: Boston, MA USA
Arriba España!!! Good win over Paraguay. Solid play in the second half from Spain. The "muro guarani" was no match for the Iberian wrecking ball...

Calibasco: While I have been accused of being fairly repetitive myself, take a look at the time stamps on our two previous messages--they are seven minutes apart. You posted yours while I was composing mine. Good to see that great minds think alike.

Now, what should my strategy be for the US/Korea? Go to sleep early, wake up for the game, then go to sleep again? Or, stay awake until after the game and then sleep? Maybe I should just take Monday off......

#62259 - 06/07/02 01:33 PM Re: World Cup!
caminante Offline

Loc: New York City
Cooter that is my plan. Go to bed at 8 or 9 and set the alarm for 2:20. Then go back to bed after the game. I may repeat this later in the week for other games.

#62260 - 06/07/02 01:53 PM Re: World Cup!
Cooter Offline

Yeah, the scheduling has been rough. I've taken to going to bed at 10 every night so I can wake up for the 4:30 or 5 AM games (like Spain today). It's a little rough. Fortunately, I work for a largely European company and have a French boss, so we are all on the same schedule.

#62261 - 06/07/02 04:43 PM Re: World Cup!
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
I think you can get away with it... on the news tonight were pictures of the Spanish senate being disrupted by news of the game, as well as them announcing it on airline flights, etc... I hope they catch on in EEUU too!!

From the sports illustrated website (american sports magazine):

zero of the day:
Jose Luis Chilavert (Paraguay).
Before the match he was bragging that he would score two goals against Spain. He would have been better advised to focus on his main job, keeping balls out of his own goal. He was out of position on Fernando Morientes' first goal, but on the second, he managed to do even worse, missing the ball entirely and letting it run through to the Real Madrid striker. Chilavert's mistake was unforgivable, especially for a goalkeeper of his quality.

#62262 - 06/08/02 01:32 AM Re: World Cup!
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
Anyone one care to take a look into the not-to-distant-future?!...

In the round of eight...U.S.A. beats Spain...

Italy (after beating USA in semis) wins World Cup by beating....Sweden!

I won't win any popularity contests here. But, you heard it here first...

#62263 - 06/08/02 02:20 AM Re: World Cup!
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Hey Cooter...I was just having some fun...the simultaneous post happens all the time. Just ask Wolf who did it right after you!

CaliBasco [Who always loves a good simultaneous]

#62264 - 06/08/02 07:47 AM Re: World Cup!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Abso-positively on that repeat thing. It happens all the time. That's why I posted my pun behind it. Cali and I have had it happen to each other so often we would have sworn we were copying each other. Wasn't true though. It just means, like you indicated, that great minds think alike. Of course that don't work too well for me since I'm a half wit, but I guess that tells everyone where they stand when they run into it when posting the same info as me - laugh

I'm going to watch the U.S. vs So. Korea game on TV. It starts here in the midwest at 1 AM Monday morning (Sunday night at 11 PM for Cali on the left coast.). What interests me as much as the game is the anti-American sentiment that has caused the Korean government to dramatically increase the protection for the U.S. team already. It's a shame that people can't remember that the damned race for the World Cup is a game, not a replacement or a prelude for a world war. If the U.S. wins, the Korean government feels there will be rioting, looting, and deaths. They also plan on getting the U.S. out of the stadium, and onto a flight out of the country immediately if they beat the Koreans. It's "for their own safety," the Koreans say. They are our allies? We keep hearing they are as we pour billions of dollars into their country for their protection against North Korea. An interesting scenario from someone who is supposed to be a friend.

Just imagine six friends/neighbors sitting around playing poker at Joe's house. At the end of the night, if Joe doesn't win, he throws a tantrum, runs outside and burns everyone's cars, throws rocks through their home windows, and starts waving a molotov cocktail in the air, threatening to throw it at the other players, their homes, or their families.

I'm afraid that's what has come of World Cup competition. It's also why I often wish the U.S. wouldn't even have a national team. If the U.S. wins the game, our country will essentially be held up as the cause of the riots, and cast as the bad guy once again. If fans from other nations want to act like vicious animals so be it, but we should refuse to be a party to it.

Wolf (Who thinks many nations should take a look at their sports fans, and realize that they reflect the true attitude of their people in many ways.) frown

#62265 - 06/08/02 11:45 AM Re: World Cup!
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
That´s a silly post, I think someone should watch less Fox news channel... and Koreans have a long and distinguished history of some of the finest rioting around. laugh

#62266 - 06/11/02 07:56 PM Re: World Cup!
Cooter Offline

Politics aside, let's see what Spain can do tomorrow morning against South Africa. I'm hoping to see some of the lesser-known players in action.

#62267 - 06/11/02 09:02 PM Re: World Cup!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Cooter (or others), what time is tomorrow's game? Is it at the usual 5:00am Eastern USA time (11am Spain time)??

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 4 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments