Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#62173 - 05/23/02 08:41 AM Re: Write a book already!
LostInMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
This is, of course, a great and obvious idea. Look at the guy from F*ckedCompany.com - he just wrote a book about the worst business ideas taken directly from the posts on his site and it's a best seller. I understand that the book is on a subject with a wider audience, but still, there's precendent.

Ready to start MadridMan? Here's how to write- it's very easy... Just pull up Microsoft Word and start writing, as if to a friend, about your experience travelling and living in Spain and Madrid. That's all... Don't think about whether it makes sense at first, all writing is rewriting, just get it down on paper.

I actually started my 20s as a Journalist and worked for several years as a reporter/editor/designer in a small newspaper near my home town (and was the executive editor of my college newspaper - a 40 page weekly). Since I left journalism, I've always been interested in writing. I even thought that Spain would give me some incentive, so I brought my "How to write a novel" books with me. I can recommend at least one decent book: "On Writing" by Stephen King. He talks about his life and how he started writing and gives you an idea about the process of writing (2,000 words a day for a month or so and your novel is done). It appealed to me because of its practical nature - he gives real advice about how to sit down and write.

I remember my first real learning experience with writing in the town newspaper: I was an intern and there was an car collision in the town nearby that had stopped traffic in both directions for miles (it's in the mountains so there's not many roads... an accident like this will be talked about for weeks. ;-) ). So I was sent off to find out what happened (my big break!), take pics and get back to write the story before deadline. After I returned, I sat down at my Mac and couldn't figure out where to begin. Deadline was looming and as minutes ticked by I had produced a paragraph and couldn't figure out how to write more.

Finally my editor comes out and asks what's up and I tell him I'm not sure what to write. And he says, "okay, sit down and tell me what happened." So I spent 10 minutes explained everything to him. After I was done, he said, "Great. Write exactly what you just told me. Don't change a word." And I did. Five minutes later I had a dozen decent paragraphs filled with information. It was an awesome feeling - for years I had been "bottled up" when trying to write, not sure where to start or how to do it "correctly."

Once you get it, you don't lose it and you'll find that writing is natural and fun and you can write very long without thinking about it. Which explains most of my posts in case anyone was wondering.

Here's another thought for you, MadridMan! You should try Blogging for a while. http://www.blogger.com . It's free to use and it'll add to this site quite a bit. Blogs are online daily diaries. There are hundreds of thousands of them now. Many people use them to post daily links to interesting sites on the web with commentaries, others (like me) use them to just expound on the world around them. ( http://www.russellbeattie.com/notebook ). I had an online diary a while ago that I wasn't updating enough because it wasn't particulary convenient so I just replaced it with Blogger and now it's very nice. It takes about two seconds to post new ideas etc. I figure that if I actually write enough interesting bits on my Blog, one day I can use them as a basis for some sort of novel.

Also, I don't know what your traffic figures are, but for a small investment, you could self-publish your own book with the same quality as a normally published book (there are several 'micropublishers' online that you can use). You could then sell the book exclusively through your website like your videos.

-Russ

#62174 - 05/23/02 09:40 AM Re: Write a book already!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I think Russ's idea is a great one...start a weblog about your Spain travels and thoughts, with links to interesting photos or outside sources. I've been keeping an online journal too (though it's not a public one, yet!), and it's really quick and easy. Try Blogger, and maybe even connect it to your site! You can also have Blogger host it, if you want to keep it separate for a while. And you can set it to be public or private there.

And check out those links on nonfiction publishing I sent you yesterday!!! One of them (can't remember which) had a list of lots of publishers and their specialties.

And definitely stick with Russ's advice to write like you talk. Don't get too fancy...I teach and consult for writing-intensive classes at the University here, and my students get themselves tied up in knots when trying to write. They forget that all writing is telling a story, and instead blather on for pages about nothing. You won't do that...better to leave that to BB members!!! wink rolleyes

#62175 - 05/24/02 12:06 PM Re: Write a book already!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
It's been said twice - & three times is lucky.
Write like you speak.
That's the entire secret to writing. There are numerous board members with careers that encompass writing (creative, factual, reporting, etc.)and I'm sure that close to 100% of those members will concur with that statement.
Give it some serious consideration MM - the set-up and knowledge (research) is already in place. smile

#62176 - 05/24/02 03:10 PM Re: Write a book already!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I'm REALLY <sniff!> touched by all those here who have expressed support for this idea. It has given me more to think about (as if I didn't have enough on my mental plate already) and I'll take the possibility seriously. But if I get started, I'll put all my energy into it and am seriously concerned that MadridMan.com will suffer for it. BUT, if I can get a good start and the proper contacts, MAYBE I could convince SOMEONE that I NEED to be IN SPAIN to complete this project and get myself the appropriate visa! It IS worth a shot. Thanks, everyone!

Have a GREAT weekend!! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#62177 - 05/24/02 10:27 PM Re: Write a book already!
LW Offline

Loc: USA
MM, All I will say here is that the things that you have written about, with each trip to Spain, really pulls me, and it always saddens me when you stop writting about it. You paint such a good picture with your words, and makes one feel like you are there. You are very informative with everything, from food, weather, the feel, the smell, the places you stay, even the time when you had your hot water to shower wink and so much more. So by doing what you are doing, you are helping people decide where one would like to go and see. So as you can see, you are already on that road wink . I just think you are already doing it here, and you just need to gather all of this and find a way to make a profit/living from it....but anyway, just my 2cents
LittleWing smile

#62178 - 06/20/02 10:35 AM Re: Write a book already!
Chrissiij Offline

Loc: London, UK
Madridman, write a book! Your madrid journals are fantastic - entertainingly informative, your sense of humour and personality shines through, and as a newly committed madridmanist, I shall buy AT LEAST one copy!

#62179 - 06/20/02 10:56 AM Re: Write a book already!
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Go ahead, write a book! You can get a sponsor and have him pay you to stay in Madrid for a year for research porpuses laugh and then you can get the spanish edition and be popular all around the world. eek

#62180 - 06/20/02 11:35 AM Re: Write a book already!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Yes, Nuria...we all want fame and fortune for MadridMan! Then he will treat us all to tapas and cañas at El Brillante! wink

#62181 - 06/20/02 12:15 PM Re: Write a book already!
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Well MadridMan, with your looks and enthusiasm, in addition to the book you can also do a television show! Next to you, Rick Steves is not worth watching! I loved your perspective in your videos(I hope my husband is not reading this!) laugh

But, seriously, you should consider this idea about a Madrid travel book. As a librarian I can tell you that nowhere is there more information about Madrid in one place than at your website. With your tie in to your web-page the book will be invaluable to travelers. Libraries spend a small fortune in buying travel material for their patrons.

Booklady smile

#62182 - 06/20/02 12:51 PM Re: Write a book already!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
My Goodness! This thread has gained new momentum! Thank you all. Really. It's very very kind, supportive, and optimistic, not to mention heart-warming, to receive such feedback.

I can promise you this.... I will SERIOUSLY consider your proposal, the possibilities, AND how it might create opportunities for me to "How Make Money and Enjoy It Too!" Meaning: "How to do something you love WHILE having the opportunity to live in Madrid AND learning EVEN MORE about her!"

One project at a time, though. I have one BIG project on my plate at the moment and after that passes in the next month I'll consider this one.

Maybe I would need to consider something on the message board registration page that states "Anything posted by registered members MAY be published in book form and sold retail. Neither your name nor email addresses will be included." Hmmm.. this might deter totally open and free speech though. Don'tcha think?

Once again, thank you SO much for your support and kind words on this surprisingly long thread. Did I ever mention that my father has been a writer of "Outdoor" and Travel-topics for newspaper, magazine, and books almost all his life? (he's also a retired high school biology teacher, but writes "full-time" now in his retired years) And my mom's a retired English/German teacher. They both read about 6 books per week combined -- I'm lucky if I read one book each year! rolleyes So..... what! I guess writing is in my blood, eh?

Anyway, enough about me and my family. Let's talk awhile about your sweet, old, aunt Tilly. wink

Thanks again, people. I appreciate it. Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments