MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#6213 - 11/15/03 05:50 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Fernandez? +Review
Anonymous
Unregistered

O my!

I just heard this very week that some people were robbed by two or three guys pretending be anti-drugs policemen. What I am not prety sure is wether they were caught or not (I think I heard they were). Anybody?

#6214 - 11/15/03 06:41 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Fernandez? +Review
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
Ignacio,

This event happened to my wife and I October of 2002. I made a deposition?/denouncement? at the nearest police commissary the morning after it happened. The police couldn't have looked more bored with my story. I even went to a police station around Plaza Espana to look through a photo book to see if I could identify them. I would consider it a miracle if these people were ever apprehended. Two days later, while walking Plaza Major, I had another immigrant, an Arab, try another trick with me, but he didn't get anything. I immediately went to a building guard and he notified the police, but of course, the perpetrator was long gone before the police arrived.
I have a pretty good impression that Madrid is crawling with this type of crime. A real pity. I've visited Madrid since 1977. In 1999, I didn't encounter any crime. Now, it's terrible.
I've heard horror tales, from the Filippino community, of the severest form of justice, taken against law-abiding citizens. But it seems that criminals who deal in petty crime or crimes against tourists are seldom pursued. Well I guess I know what to do about it. The world's a big place.

#6215 - 12/15/03 01:03 PM Re: Madrid: Hostal Fernandez? +Review
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
[originally posted by blackegg at posted 12-15-2003 12:55 PM]

Madrid: Hostal Fernandez (and Madrid) - Review

I just returned from my first ever visit to Madrid. I can see why MadridMan and others are so mad about Madrid! What a strikingly beautiful city - especially with the abundant Christmas lights around Plaza de Sol and Gran Via.

I always hate to read the review of a first-time cruiser - just a lot of exuberant blubber. I have lived in Europe for ten years and have visited many capitals throughout western and central Europe. But I must say Madrid is truly the most beautiful city in Europe. The culture and architecture are captivating.

Aerocity gets an A+ for taking our group of nine in two vans directly to our Hostal with no other stops. They charged the agreed price of 54 euros for both vans even though we arrived on a Holiday and they could have charged more.

We shivered on the upper decks of the Madrid Vision buses but what a value for money adventure to see the highlights of Madrid.

We were well informed by you message board participants about the potential of pick pockets and petty crime. NONE was seen or experienced!

Hostal Fernandez located just down the street from the Anton Martin Metro stop, was not a disappointment. The three best things about it is location, location, location. The rooms were small but functional and adequate. The staff was helpful though not outgoing (like Alberto at Hostal Adria). The balcony rooms were nice but did little to block the noice of the party goers below. We paid only 54 euro for each of three triple rooms including taxes. I wouldn't expect a long line of people staying here but they are spotlessly clean, cheap, and centrally located.

My wife and I are already planning another trip around Spain to discover other wonderful treasures of this country.

Glad to be back home in Pecs, Hungary! Come and visit our fascinating city sometime!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 349 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments