Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#62031 - 05/03/02 10:52 PM Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hey, LiM, is that baby here yet? You'll have to let us know when the little Madrileño/a arrives, okay?

And maybe we can start a list of possible names for the kid...starting with:

"FoundInMadrid"?
wink

#62032 - 05/03/02 10:57 PM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Yeah! Come on! Isn't (s)he here yet????! What's the hold up? Will you post a link to the baby photos?? Please?? You MUST be only DAYS away at this point. Good luck!

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#62033 - 05/03/02 11:15 PM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

I have several VERY pregnant friends here in the US, and they are full of advice for getting things moving along, LiM...including my personal favorite, the long and intense FOOT MASSAGE (you give HER one, not the other way around!). Apparently there are pressure points in the toes...

Your wife will love me for that, right? wink

#62034 - 05/04/02 04:56 AM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
LostInMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hey everyone!

Wow, such intense interest in my little niño to come! Thanks! He's actually not due til around the 12th, so we're just in a holding pattern for now. I will definitely make a big announcement when he shows up!

Last night we actually had a little dress-rehearsal when my wife started having false labor-pains. Around midnight she started having light contractions every 10-20 minutes at random intervals and we were like, "hmmm... are these going to get stronger and more regular?" So we whipped out the "Que se puede esperar cuando se esta esperando" and looked it up. Seemed to be pretty obvious it wasn't going to happen, but you never know... So we packed our bags and went to bed fully prepared to make a early-morning run to the hospital. But it was just our little guy giving us a wake-up call ("I'm coming out soon! Get ready!").

That's cool because I haven't cleaned the bathroom yet... and I hate to have guests arrive with a dirty bathroom. ;-)

-Russ

#62035 - 05/08/02 03:53 PM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
What name did you guys choose for the baby? Can I make a sugestion? If it's a girl name her Nuria laugh

#62036 - 05/08/02 04:03 PM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
wyndyl Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
LiM,
'glad to see things are going well...we all can't wait to find out though! We missed you and Ana at the Post MM Gathering...

Wyndyl

#62037 - 05/08/02 04:23 PM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Hey LiM - you guys are down to the nail-biting last few days eek eek eek eek Just a friendly reminder to please let us know when FiM ('Found in Madrid') makes his appearence. We'll understand if it takes a bit of time to get pics up - but not words!

BTW - thanks to whomever coined FiM - I'd give credit but can't remember who came up w/ it wink

#62038 - 05/08/02 04:31 PM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

"We'll understand if it takes a bit of time to get pics up - but not words!"

NO, WE WON'T!!!! We want a live simulcast, complete with music and the play-by-play from famous announcers (Wyndy, you're still in Spain, right, and you've got TONS of experience in this!).

Okay, LiM, maybe not...but do post a photo when you're able. You won't be sleeping, anyway, so what else is there to do? wink

Best of luck, Russ and Ana!!!

Tara smile

#62039 - 05/08/02 04:39 PM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
wyndyl Offline

No, Tara, I'm back in Chicago frown ...and I think I took the gloom back with me...

I was very sad to leave Madrid.... frown

Wyndy

#62040 - 05/08/02 04:49 PM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Oh, Wyndy, I'm so sorry you had to leave Spain!

But I'm glad you'll be back chatting soon!

Tara smile

#62041 - 05/08/02 04:59 PM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Wyndy

Doesn't seem longer ago than yesterday since you left for Madrid.

LiM

Yes we're all anxiously waiting for you to come up with the goods (not reassuring for you to tell you that all my three kids were 10 days late is it?)

Come on BiM, MiM, whoever you are, we're waiting!

Jo

#62042 - 05/18/02 11:34 AM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

CONGRATULATIONS LOST IN MADRID!!!! YOU'RE A FATHER!!!

Quote:
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 14:40:43 +0200
Subject: Happy Birthday Alexander David Beattie!

Hey Everyone!

We are very pleased to announce the arrival of our son Alex!

Born May 17th at 2:15 p.m., Madrid, Spain
Weight: 2.7Kg, Height: 52cm

Photos: http://www.russellbeattie.com/alex/

Baby and mother are doing great after just a few hours of labor yesterday and a few hours sleep last night. The little guy is (right now) quiet and peaceful and interested in everything around him! A real wonder. We're going to bring him home in a few days after Mom has recuperated a bit, but everything is going really well.

We look forward to introducing Alex to you soon!

- Russell and Ana

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#62043 - 05/18/02 12:00 PM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
YES!, YES!, YEEEEES!!!
¡'ENHORABUENA RUSS & ANA'!

God, I'm soo happy for you! (and so stupid that tears come to my eyes!). I admit it, to me, there's nothing in the world that can compare to a baby being born, it's the sweetest and most special thing!

So, welcome to Madrid Alex wink we all love you already! Hey Russ, you can be very proud of your gorgeous family laugh .

Aaaaahhhh! (deep sigh)

pim

#62044 - 05/18/02 12:08 PM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
ENHORABUENA!!! BIENVENIDOS!!!

Congratulations Russ and Ana! Gosh...you both must be soooo relieved and happy!!! Can´t wait to meet the little guy!

I think between PIM and I you have the babysitting department fully covered!! laugh

#62045 - 05/18/02 12:23 PM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
WELCOME to the little one Russ and Ana! What an exciting time.

The pics brought tear to my eyes too Pim, you're not the only one! Funny how it does that to you! Babies - aaaaaaah!

Jo

#62046 - 05/18/02 01:04 PM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Congratulations Russ & Ana!!!!
Alexander David Beattie is gorgeous!
Not only does that the young man have a bunch of baby sitters in Madrid but a ton of kalabash god-parents on this board. All of us silly people who cried when we saw the photos!

#62047 - 05/18/02 02:45 PM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
Shawn Offline
Executive Member

Loc: mentally - Spain, Physically -...
¡Enhorabuena!

#62048 - 05/18/02 02:48 PM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Congratulations, Russ and Ana! Your little boy is just precious, and you both look so delighted to meet him! I wish you all the luck in the world, along with many good nights of sleep (someday!).

#62049 - 05/18/02 03:12 PM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
Espe3 Offline

Congratulations!!!!!!! smile

#62050 - 05/18/02 04:12 PM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
wyndyl Offline

!CONGRATULATIONS, Russ and Ana!!!
It is so wonderful to finally meet wittle, bebe, Alex smile !!!

Thanks for posting those pictures of him, Ana, and the rest of the family, including, you, of course! It brings so much joy to all of us!!!
!Felicidades! laugh

Wendy

#62051 - 05/18/02 11:23 PM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Enhorabuena!!

Congrats on your new baby, Russ!! Hey, MM, add 1 more member to the board!!

-Denise

#62052 - 05/19/02 08:55 AM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Congratulations Russ & Ana!

There is nothing more humbling than knowing that we've brought a beautiful new baby into this world, and that we've now accepted a complete change in who we are. Having raised three children, I can tell you there's nothing more enjoyable, or positive, that my wife or I ever experienced. It will be the same with you.

Based on your posts, and the joy you showed in advance of the occasion, I can only say that I know that you and Ana will make fantastic parents. Alex will not want for anything, and be showered with love, every day.

Now, where's the blooming cigar? laugh Cuban if you don't mind... wink

Wolf (Who's wife is standing over him telling him he can't smoke a cigar... but I would anyway! eek )

#62053 - 05/19/02 09:05 AM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
nevado Offline

Congrats, the photos are wonderful. He's really sweet! smile

Pim, I'm the stupid one, you're comments brought tears to my eyes (even after what I said today)!

#62054 - 05/19/02 09:25 AM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Nevado,

Well "Nevadita", it's good to know that we're just a bunch of sillies after all!

I also think we're a bunch of 'locas' after last nite, but that's another matter.... laugh wink :p

I think Chica had a great idea....I'm CRAZY about kids! I'd be delighted to babysit!!!

¡¡QUE VIVAN LOS NIÑOS!!!!

#62055 - 05/19/02 11:42 AM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
Castiza Offline

Loc: Madrid
¡¡ENHORABUENA!!
So ... there's a new madrileñito waiting to write on this board.
Congratulations to the happy parents.

#62056 - 05/19/02 11:50 AM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
Lizziee Offline

Loc: Scotland
Congratulations, Russ and Ana. He's beautiful.

#62057 - 05/20/02 01:13 AM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
Mama Chula Offline

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA USA
Oh what a beautiful baby! You guys are in for a treat. Your son will bring many many years of joy and fun. I just love being a parent and I know you will too.

Congratulations Russ and Ana!
Much love,
Mama Chula
(whose own son is still [living la vida loca] in Madrid)

#62058 - 05/20/02 10:25 AM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
LostInMadrid Offline

Hey EVERYONE!

Ana, Alex and I just got home and we're all doing very well... He's sleeping like an angel right now. He was a little fussy yesterday and last night before Ana's milk fully came in (poor little mouse was hungry), but now he's like the perfect baby: Eat, sleep, cry for food and attention, eat, sleep, cry. When he's awake, he's been really attentive to everything around him. It's wonderful to see him so interested in the world... he's going to be a great kid.

Ana and I just read all the notes of congratulations... thanks to everyone for thinking of us! Ana started tearing up at Nevado tearing up because Pim was tearing up... ;-) Bringing a baby into the world is SO emotional!

I'll try to post some more later, gotta go get some last minute things that we forgot before (diaper pail anyone?).

Thanks again and thanks MadridMan for posting my email... I was trying to get in and out of the house as fast as possible on Saturday - clean, post pics for my family, email everyone and get back to the hospital!

I'm going to post some more pics in a bit and for a while have a live baby-cam posted here: http://1021330280.camarades.com/ . ;-)

See everyone soon!

-Russ

P.S. Anyone have any tips on using a syringe-type breast pump? Ana's feels like she's going to explode... :-D

#62059 - 05/20/02 12:48 PM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hahahahahaa!!! That's fantastic!!! A LIVE baby-cam!! I'm more than a little surprised that Ana is going along with that... IF SHE KNOWS, that is. hehehe... Thanks for letting us IN on your new parenting days, LostInMadrid!! We love it and we love you too. Congratulations!!! We're all very very happy for you both. frown <sniff!> (now MadridMan's tearing up!!) wink

#62060 - 05/20/02 03:44 PM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
LostInMadrid Offline

Hi there, me again.

I wanted to write another note while it's fresh in my mind about the medical treatment here in Madrid. Those of you who read one of my earlier posts might remember that I was worried about the clinic, which seemed a bit old and our OBGYN who seemed a bit dopey.

Here's the scoop: La Milagrosa Clinic was AMAZING. Truly a wonderful experience from the first seconds we arrived. The staff was attentive, humorous, knowledgeable and patient. We arrived at 5:30 a.m. after waiting most of the night for Ana's contractions to get stronger and more regular. At the clinic, they first checked to see if Ana was REALLY in labor and that there was no problems, then they showed us to our room which was clean, HUGE (room for 12 relatives at once I came to find out), if a little out dated (I had to crank the bed to raise it and the wheels on the carts squeaked). Ana's family was able to wait in the room instead of a packed waiting room and it was much more comfortable for them. After Ana changed we went to a "labor room" for lack of a better term and waited for Alex to drop down into position (he was a bit high at first). Around 2:00 p.m. the baby was ready to come out and we went to the delivery room (next door) and it had everything you could want - very modern, if small. This part of the clinic is only for births, so it was all set up for just that. After Alex came out, he was whisked off to another room (the only part I wasn't too excited about... where's my baby!?!) where we could hear him crying while they did the torture tests (counting fingers and toes and sticking tubes up his nose from what I've seen in videos). After about 10 minutes, while I was still with Ana, a nurse came back with Alex all bundled up (like in the pics) and asked me to follow her while they finished up with Ana (episiotomies suck). Alex and I went back to the room together and waited for Ana to arrive while all the family cooed (those are the first pics... 15 minutes after birth!). In the next two days, the nurses and attendants were amazing... always friendly and cheerful with tips on caring for the baby who was always with us. Incredible treatment - but get this, they normally have about 8-10 babies in one day, but for some reason (I'm thinking Real Madrid's win on Wednesday) there were 18 women who had babies on Friday along with us! The best treatment in the world, even as they were dealing with double the number of patients for one day. Really wonderful.

Now, after all that, I'll [censored] about the IDIOT of a doctor we have (had). Ana was, on Thursday, 4 days late, so she went into the doctor's office to have a routine non-stress test (monitoring the baby's heart and contractions) and there were no problems, but the doctor told her, "Okay, it's time to schedule an induced labor for Saturday morning?" SATURDAY? barely 5 days after the baby's "estimated" due date? That's nuts. When Ana got home she told me and I honestly didn't understand why so soon... I went to my books and to the web and NO WHERE could I find where inducing labor was suggested for anyone less than 2 weeks overdue, except in the case where the baby or mother is in danger due to high blood pressure or something like that. So I asked Ana to call the doctor and ask if there were any problems because it seemed so soon... Ana called and basically said, "it seems really soon to induce labor, is there anything out of the ordinary?" And the doctor flipped out. He just started in on her for 15 minutes telling her how in 15 years he's never had any patients doubt his word and how it was "international protocol" to induce labor on that date (which, if not successful because the mother's body isn't ready, leads to a cesarian) and how maybe we ought to find another doctor, since there were plenty around and more.

Wow. What an *******. Ana, who was tense anyways, spent the rest of the day between anger and tears (or both) and we start tapping relatives looking for another doctor because Ana basically says she doesn't want anything to do with this jerk anymore... We get it all settled and had an appointment at another doctor for Friday afternoon, but when the contractions hit that night, we just followed along with the original plan and went to the clinic, who called the original doctor who actually requested that we were attended to by another doctor. This actually was GREAT: We got a wonderful woman doctor who was patient and funny and a real joy. But the guy, who was in the hospital that day never bothered to stop by once. He just washed his hands of us after 7 months of seeing him. A COMPLETE dickhead, really. Ana and I are are going to file a complaint everywhere we can.

So anyways, we're home now and very happy how things turned out. It was pretty scary on Thursday to be so close and yet not having a doctor we trusted (imagine if there were problems?) But we ended up having a lot of luck with the clinic and the labor, so all's well that end's well.

Woof. Long post. Sorry... lots to get off my chest. ;-)

-Russ

#62061 - 05/20/02 04:24 PM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
wyndyl Offline

Russ,

I was so glad to hear you guys had a wonderful delivery laugh and I was even more glad that your labor experience went well(except for the part of the 1st OBGYN) mad ! I had some questions when I first saw the pictures you sent. Thanks for giving people like me,who work in Obstetrics, a perspective of how things are done there...and it made me feel good that the nurses you encountered made your experience good...

As for the OBGYN, unfortunately there will always be a few who sully the profession(just like any other) and who feel their word is law! Geez, believe me I know what that is like frown mad

I wish I could have met you and Ana with in utero Alex at the Post MM dinner...maybe next year!

As always, thanks for sharing your JOY with the rest of us! Keep that Alex cam rolling, with Ana's consent of course....

Wyndyl wink
who has to work tonight not knowing how many babies will deliver between 7 p.m and 7 a.m.

#62062 - 05/21/02 10:01 AM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Uh... syringe breast pump... nope, sorry. Doesn´t sound pleasant.

Vat a cute baby. Ve shall meet sometime and make faces at him.

-L

#62063 - 06/06/02 04:42 PM Re: Lost in Madrid's BABY!!!!
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
LIM & Ana,
Congratulations!!1 I haven't visit the board for a long time and the first thing that I saw when I came back was your announcement laugh
I am very happy for you and the bebe is just beautiful!!!
Nuria

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments