MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#61919 - 04/12/02 01:39 PM Re: why speak english
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
This is my experience:
1. Turists that don't blend with the "locals" don't think Madrid is that great. They just go to el Prado, Sol, Palacio de Oriente... and they think "this is not that great, there are better places in Spain"
2. Turists that have friends/family there and have people to take them to different places and show them the stuff that a regular turist doesn't see... they LOVE madrid.

I believe Madrid is great not for it's monuments or museums... I think Madrid is great for its people, for its secrets, for its nightlife, for the little coffee-shops and the "bar de tapas"... those little things that take time to learn but that make Madrid such an special city...

Nuria (madrileña de nacimiento y de corazon)

#61920 - 04/12/02 03:34 PM Re: why speak english
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I completely agree laugh

#61921 - 04/12/02 03:39 PM Re: why speak english
dargus Offline

Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada
'I believe Madrid is great not for it's monuments or museums... I think Madrid is great for its people, for its secrets, for its nightlife, for the little coffee-shops and the "bar de tapas"... those little things that take time to learn but that make Madrid such an special city...'

What can I say? This is exactly why I travel and what I seek (although I'm not always sure of what it is that I'm seeking). Monuments can be interesting and all but they don't have soul. I suppose I seek to experience the soul of a place. I really look forward to Madrid.
Thank-you,

Dargus

#61922 - 04/13/02 10:13 AM Re: why speak english
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Best advice - wander!!!!
Wander all over -watch - smell - feel. A good part of Madrid's beauty is in the sensory perceptions and to experience that - you must wander the streets. The museums, monuments, etc., are there - you'll see them - find a favorite or two - but the true Madrid is in it's people and their way of life. Be open to experiencing that - you'll find friends if even for an hour - and you'll fall in love with Madrid.

#61923 - 04/13/02 01:20 PM Re: why speak english
palice Offline

Loc: Prague, Czech republic
Reading through all your posts guys I feel very sorry to stay in Madrid only one single night! It all comes to feel so real when you describe all these positives, I wish that day was neverending. And three months ago if you stopped me on the street and said I would go to Spain in May I would never believe! But I am glad for the adventure of quick decisions and thanks to you all I have a much clearer picture about all the culture now. Can´t wait to go!

#61924 - 04/13/02 02:41 PM Re: why speak english
Anonymous
Unregistered

I remember my first trip to madrid,palice, savouring the anticipation of somewhere new and exciting.

I wasnt let down-even if it is a 1 day visit, enjoy!!! wink

#61925 - 04/13/02 02:47 PM Re: why speak english
palice Offline

Loc: Prague, Czech republic
Oh, I certainly will! Remembering those slightly damp conditions of Wirral, Bebington, Bromborough and not forgetting Birkenhead...Those memories of mine! laugh
I will keep you posted all - I just wrote my up-to-date experience with organizing our trip in Classifieds/Chatroom, we will have fun...
cool

#61926 - 04/16/02 05:36 PM Re: why speak english
Lizziee Offline

Loc: Scotland
I can't believe anybody would be so rude to diss somebody's home city to them in the way described above. But it's not just Americans. We hate bumping into fellow Brits when abroad as all they seem to do is moan - weather, Spanish, food. I have known people take their own food with them on holiday and when I was in Mexico, a British couple proudly proclaimed they couldn't eat that "foreign muck" and then went for an Italian meal . . . Plus their idea of communicating is to shout in English, slowly and very, very loudly . . .

The thread about Madrid is very interesting too. My husband and I fell in love with the city straight away, without any Spanish friends to show us around, but mebbes thats because our idea of a holiday is to find the nearest bar, sit outside and watch people. Yes, we sightsee (our day in Toledo was especially memorable) and I loved the gardens of the Royal Palace. But we don't "do" museums - and I know that's a crime, but we had a lovely time at a tapas bar next to the Prado watching everybody out and about. (We did the same at the Louvre, but could never claim to love Paris . . . ) Seeing people, feeling the atmosphere, picking up the vibes - that's a city break, thats travelling . . . and thats why we love Madrid

#61927 - 04/16/02 07:08 PM Re: why speak english
Anonymous
Unregistered

Lizziee
Although i am from the wirral,Liverpool.
I can see both sides too the story! I guess that palice has spent a lot of time in my county and if it has not been an enjoyable experience, then i can take it on the chin!
The wirral varies enormously from region to region so therefore some people will hate it.

This is why i decided to live here!

If palice is unhappy to spend time on "the wirral"then so be it.

I personally love the space,enviroment
and"damp".

spike1 laugh

#61928 - 04/16/02 07:45 PM Re: why speak english
Lizziee Offline

Loc: Scotland
Oh, the usual thing of messages getting all jumbled up. I meant the American guests of a Madrileno dissing her city, not Palice dissing Birkenhead. I've lived there - I wouldn't disagree with what anyone said (joke!).

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments