Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#61793 - 04/01/02 05:37 PM Blending in with the locals:)
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
I am studying abroad in Spain this summer (Universidad de Deusto). Anybody have any advice on typical spanish dress? I don't want to stand out as an American if at all possible:) laugh

#61794 - 04/01/02 06:31 PM Re: Blending in with the locals:)
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Something americans never realise is that you will look american no matter how you dress or what you do laugh

What's more, there is nothing wrong with it smile You will meet more people and perhaps catch a girlfriend/boyfriend if they realise that you are different.

But to ask your question: We dress in a very similar way. You may fine tune your dressing when you come here, buying some clothes (and asking for advice to a spaniard).

Enjoy the experience!

Fernando

#61795 - 04/01/02 11:25 PM Re: Blending in with the locals:)
Guapetona Offline

differences are that clothes tend to have a more tailored look, emphasis on flowing color combinations, clean lines, accessories are big. trends/styles come from europe (nyc is the exception) so spain is at the front of what is hot now..check these spanish fashion clothing, shoes, jewelery sites out..i love to shop in spain..its less expensive, high quality and you know what you are buying won't hit the streets in the us for at least a season..or two..and in the case of camper shoes..years!! wink wink

Camper

Zara

Mango

Cortefiel

Tous

#61796 - 04/02/02 06:13 AM Re: Blending in with the locals:)
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
kelar419 writes:
Quote:
Anybody have any advice on typical spanish dress? I don't want to stand out as an American if at all possible
Students wear 'jeans' a lot but the ones sold in Spain have a different cut than U.S. jeans. The Spanish students love the U.S. Levi's. Spanish shoes also tend to be 'dressy' (leather shoes like one would wear with a dress suit). So they also like Reebok's and Nike's, but not the very colorful ones. So, if you're a student and you wear jeans and athletic shoes and a loose fitting golf shirt (no logo) you won't 'stand out.' You will be more conspicuous if you dress up to go to classes (or after school activities). Just dress like you would dress at home. rolleyes
BTW
These bits of info are directed to the male student.

#61797 - 04/02/02 09:57 AM Re: Blending in with the locals:)
Roe Offline

Loc: california
In bilbao in the summer a lot of young guys wear jeans and surf-style clothes like they do in the states, maybe a few more shirts with collars. The difference might depend on where you are coming from as to your level of "normal" dressing. Also, it wouldn´t be a bad idea to wait and buy clothes in Spain if you were thinking about getting some clothes for the trip. Often clothes are cheaper here or at worst, similarly priced. It is also a cool way to remember your trip when you get back to the states.

#61798 - 04/02/02 07:13 PM Re: Blending in with the locals:)
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I agree...buy clothes in Spain if you can! I still wear a dress I bought at Zara in Spain in 1990, and get compliments EVERY time. The cut is just different enough from what we buy here, and it doesn't even look out of style yet!

#61799 - 04/03/02 02:57 AM Re: Blending in with the locals:)
ChrisS Offline

Loc: EE.UU.
If you are going after Christmas you should buy clothes there. Rebajas offers incredible prices on almost all clothes. I bought 3 sweaters, 2 shirts, and two pairs of pants all costing a little over $100.

I think that fitting in is very impotant. A friend of mine(madrilena) told me that I didnt look spanish but european. When I roamed the dtreets of segovia, when I studied there, in baggy jeans and american styles, I was constantly stared at. When I dressed more "european" i seemed to blend in far easier. I also thought it was easier to start conversations.(learning spanish is THE BEST WAY to fit in.

Hope this helps

Haaluegoo
Chris

#61800 - 04/03/02 09:49 PM Re: Blending in with the locals:)
toroloco Offline

i suggest to blend in you wear a chulapo or a flamenco dress....this way you wont stand out from the crowd of chulapo wearers....maybe a boina (beret) would look typical. hahahahahaha
seriously........guys some of us will never blend in, but in places such as madrid that does matter an awful lot. there you will see all manner of people from all over the country and the world. gothic types to americans. jeans = dressy shoes even if they aren't exactly new (the shoes) and most likely a dress shirt. football jerseys are cool too.

#61801 - 04/03/02 11:42 PM Re: Blending in with the locals:)
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
Thanks for all your relpies-- just some more info-- I am female smile smile smile -- Thanks again!

#61802 - 09/20/04 06:25 PM Re: Blending in with the locals:)
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Sorry, couldn't resist it - this man was really trying to blend in wasn't he? Complete with map and hanky ... not British by any chance do you think?? rolleyes

(Of course I was blending in perfectly, sitting behind him, on the Madrid Vision bus cool )

Jo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments