Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#61595 - 03/05/02 02:27 PM New MB Version! New Features!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
We are NOW running on the NEWEST version available to this message board and it has an EXCELERATOR (VROOM! VROOM!!) too so things should move even faster. Play around with the features and let me know if there's anything you REALLY like or REALLY DON'T. I'm learning it JUST as you are and will add/remove some features as needed. Enjoy!!! (yes, THIS was the BIG surprise) smile

Saludos, MadridMan (WOO HOO!!! It's finally UP and running on GAS!)

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#61596 - 03/05/02 02:31 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Not only fast, we can see people who are signed on and visiting the board. Super cool! You really are making this thing happen!

This gives us a chance to start more activity towards the chat room. Yahoo!!!!!!

Wolf

#61597 - 03/05/02 02:56 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
It goes definitely faster. The new features I like most are the reply editing facilities.

Being able to see the postings to which you are contributing will end the continuous back-and-forth from the board. The post preview function is also very helpful, personally is good help to keep errors in spelling low (relatively)

#61598 - 03/05/02 07:56 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
mCmad Offline

Loc: London, U.K.
I use a 56k modem to access the internet and your site has DEFINITELY speeded up.

Jolly good show old boy.

#61599 - 03/05/02 08:05 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
SuePycroft Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi MM, could not believe my eyes when I logged on today, fantastic new board, keep up the good work.
Cheers.
Sue

#61600 - 03/05/02 11:41 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
This "recent visitors" thing is cool--we can find out who else has posted recently and even read through all their recent postings! I have to track down Wolf and CaliBasco's postings--I'll enjoy a good chuckle!

smile

#61601 - 03/06/02 08:22 AM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

MadridMan giveth and MadridMan taketh away. frown

Well, SO MUCH for that cool, new "Recent Visitors and things they visited" feature. I agree, taravb. I thought that was really interesting. Maybe it's the voyeur in me, eh? Unfortunately, it also causes a HUGE memory spike on the server which hosts MadridMan.com and has caused ".cgi script errors". Seems this cool, new version, with all the added bells and whistles, can only be effectively utilized on a dedicated server.. which MadridMan.com doesn't use (those are like $300-$600+ per month! eek ), but rather a shared server.

I'll leave everything else as is as long as it doesn't cause problems. Please let me know about any error messages you may get too. But at least the message board is much much faster!

I'm really sorry if you feel I've given you candy and then taken it from your hands after having tasted it. frown Really. I'm disappointed with this too. The webhosting company has even suggested I CHANGE to less memory intensive message board software/company! I don't think this is really an option as I'm afraid we'd have to start from scratch, square one, with a blank slate. NOT going to do that.

Well again, tell me what you think of how things are now and what you like and don't like, but hopefully you'll just be happy having a faster board.

taravb, as always, to see/read Recent Posts of a particular member, just click on their PROFILE (the one with the face and question mark) icon next to their username (next to the edit, email, and other icons) and click the link that say "View recent posts" and that should help you find recent post by CaliBasco, Wolf, and your other favorite "Authors of the Message Board". cool

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#61602 - 03/06/02 09:04 AM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Is it just me or can't I find the recent posters bit or who's viewing now etc? Also, I tried to edit my message I just posted and when it went back it hadn't changed anything. I'm like this with cars, though, and it will probably take me a while to learn how to drive it properly. Very much quicker though MM. Nice one.

#61603 - 03/06/02 09:14 AM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Wolf Offline

Sniff! Sniffle! Sniff! (next part deleted, blowing nose!)! frown

I loved that feature. It brought us all together --- closer --- like a family, which we already are, but we'd be even closer.

But, I for one understand why you can't do it. That's a lot of money for a dedicated server. At least we had a taste of it, and saw just how many people were accessing the site, and that onto itself was very impressive. There's no reason for anyone to doubt why this is the #1 site online for Madrid, and a fabulous portal for the rest of Spain!

Maybe the day will come when you'll be able to offer that fabulous service. Until then, we still have as much as anyone could ask for.

Wolf (Blowing his nose again, and wiping away his tears - rolleyes )

#61604 - 03/06/02 09:16 AM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Anchovy Front, do you mean the "Recent Visitors to the message board" and upon clicking their names you could read what they had read? No, you're not seeing things, as I stated above in my recent post (which I was able to edit successfully - odd that you couldn't) I "yanked" it due to server memory problems. It's still available, but I won't activate it again until/unless I know the server can handle it.

Now.. let's post this and see if I can edit it successfully....

Saludos, MadridMan

Test edit.. Did it work!

#61605 - 03/06/02 09:22 AM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Wolf Offline

Yup! Worked if "Test edit" is what you had.

Ah, yes, it is on the bottom of the post. Came up slowly on mine, so I am editing my post too - sorry!

Wolf

#61606 - 03/06/02 09:31 AM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Oops sorry MM! My mistake. I started writing the above before I saw your post. Regarding the edit thing, I went back to edit a post just now and after it took me back automatically to it, but it was the same. I just went now to today's topics and it has been edited, so ignore that bit!

#61607 - 03/06/02 09:32 AM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Uh oh! Now I've posted the thing twice! I'm out of practice, please forgive me! rolleyes

No, now it appears I haven't after all.... I'm hallucinating and going for a siesta.....

#61608 - 03/06/02 12:53 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

confused Okay... time for honest, upfront feedback about one particular topic, a feature of the message board.

Who among you like having the names of Recent Visitors (and what they visited), including yours, on the message board? Who DO NOT like it?? Please be honest and SPEAK OUT! I've received some feedback that having other people know of their presence and "activities" wasn't desireable. I like this feature a lot, but I'd rather have a kind of majority vote if possible.

As I have put it now, the list ONLY states the number of registered members and non-members visiting, but no specific names.

So we have the three options:
Names, only numbers, or nothing at all.

An important note, if we choose the NAMES option, all members have the option to be "INVISIBLE" by going into your "my profile", then clicking on "VIEW/UPDATE PROFILE", then "Hide from Recent Visitors feature?: Yes/No."

Feedback? Saludos, MadridMan

#61609 - 03/06/02 01:12 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Wolf Offline

Personally I like the feature. I'm not paranoid about visiting the site. If people don't want their names to show they can simply make themselves invisible.

I don't see any reason to eliminate a good option when using the option allows people to make their own option to be invisible (did I say that? rolleyes )

Use the names, let people choose invisibility if they must.

I always try to wear at least a robe when I'm visiting the site. I don't want anyone to end up having nightmares the rest of their life - laugh

Wolf (Anyhow, that's how I vote. :p )

#61610 - 03/06/02 01:25 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Thanks Wolf. Personally, I'm with you on this. My concern is that most of the members or non-members will read this thread and won't realize the option to be "INVISIBLE" is even possible so they may shy away from the board for fear that "Big Brother" is watching. cool

#61611 - 03/06/02 02:31 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Wolf Offline

MadridMan,

If it was put on the sign up page, in BIG BOLD LETTERS my guess is they would see it, and be able to make the decision without ever having been seen. Their secret identity as Superman and Wonder Woman would be safe forever.

They could be like - transparent! smile

Wolf (Who only hides under a sheepskin rug, without the sheep in it of course - rolleyes )

#61612 - 03/06/02 08:20 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
I like seeing the names up top!!! (We all know we're obsessed, uh I mean devoted, to this board anyway, so why not tell the world?!) But, MM, isn't it expensive to get the names up? If it's too much, then leave just the #, it's always neat to see who's there and may want to chat!

One question, though: am I understanding this correctly, or not...are we supposed to be able to see the previous string of posts we're replying to now? If so, I don't see them when I'm writing my reply, only when it's done & brings me back. I thought someone said that in another post, but I may have misunderstood!

Hasta pronto!!
-GG

#61613 - 03/06/02 10:45 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Okay! There's another one for having the NAMES at the top. And no, it's no more expensive to have them as to NOT have it... it just requires more "memory" from the server.

Quote:
are we supposed to be able to see the previous string of posts we're replying to now? If so, I don't see them when I'm writing my reply, only when it's done & brings me back.
Don't you see the thread in the box below when you reply?? I can see it right now. Look down.. down... down.... Please let me know if it's still not visible.

Saludos, MadridMan

#61614 - 03/07/02 09:15 AM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

I'm for names too ..... but don't you DARE send this website address to my jefe wink

#61615 - 03/07/02 10:35 AM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
The new board is terrific - and now I can quit having the DTs and shakes! Another vote for the names if the cost is no more - agree with Wolf who suggested big bold letters explaining how to be invisible. MM - you did a super job!!!
Just tried the edit function - is there some reason why the original message is now all on one line - looing like it will botch up the entire format of the thread?
Second edit - just looks like it will mess up the format - pops up perfectly

#61616 - 03/07/02 11:27 AM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
OOOOOH!!!!! NOW I see it!!! I didn't realize that little box at the bottom scrolled down, I just thought it was an ad!! That's so cool!!

Thanks again, MM!!

GG

#61617 - 03/08/02 10:03 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Any last opinions on showing the NAMES, NUMBERS, or NOTHING of the "Recent Visitors" feature?

For new registrants, there's an option:
"Hide from Recent Visitors feature? Yes/NO" so all new registering members have the option to be shown or not. And, as stated above, all currently registered members have the option to TURN OFF this feature through the "my profile" and then "EDIT/VIEW PROFILE" links.

Do we have any other reason NOT to have this as an optional feature and just have the "SHOW NAME OF RECENT VISITORS" in the ON position all the time?

Saludos, MadridMan

#61618 - 03/09/02 11:00 AM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
I notice that the names are now back. laugh laugh I'm not shy! cool Actually, I am, but I love it. I vote to keep them now they are back.

Jo

#61619 - 03/09/02 01:03 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Thanks MM - nice to know who is visiting! smile

#61620 - 03/09/02 04:59 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Zzeus11 Offline

I like the names too, keep them visible!

#61621 - 03/09/02 05:12 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Okay.. The names are back by popular demand.

Question: Is EVERYONE having problems getting "FATAL ERROR"s upon attempting to send Private Messages? I've gotten emails from 2 members and have experienced it for myself. ANYONE care to test it and either send me an email or follow up here? Thanks!

#61622 - 03/09/02 06:08 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Yup, got that fatal error message. I sent you the text of it just now. smile

#61623 - 03/09/02 06:22 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Wolf Offline

Fatal error message when trying to send;

---------------------------------------

Sorry, UBB has encountered an unexpected, fatal error. This error is extremely abnormal. Please contact the board administration. The error text is:

Can't open '/usr/www/users/madrid2/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/Members/pm_users/00000002.cgi'.

Permission was denied - please ask the administrator to check the permissions on that file/directory!

The exact error returned by the operating system is:
Permission denied

#61624 - 03/09/02 08:57 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

ARGH!! Yes, seems NO ONE can send Private Messages. Not sure why yet. I've contacted the software company and they should read/respond to it sometime Monday. Sorry for the problem, people! frown

#61625 - 03/10/02 05:57 AM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

MM

I like the shorter pages, more user-friendly.

I just love seeing whose around and where they;ve last been seen.

I think I feel a compulsive-obsessive disorder coming on! eek eek

Jo

#61626 - 03/12/02 01:01 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

MYGOD!! Just opened the message board, 1:00pm, and the list of recent members were:

MadridMan's ALL SPAIN Message Board Recent Visitors: 42
MadridMan, Puna, Miguelito, Wolf, Nativo, wyndyl, billy ski, Domingo, Cortés, Chicagoan, JJR, and 31 guest(s)

42 recent visitors!!???? MYGOD!! That's GOT to be a new record... I'll check in the Recent Visitors stats to see..

Sure enough! Here's the proof:
Our visitor record is 47, set on 03-12-2002 12:57 PM.

47!!! WOW!!

#61627 - 03/12/02 02:04 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

So...on the listing of recent visitors, is the most recent person on the left?
Just wondering!
Tara

#61628 - 03/12/02 03:48 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Wolf Offline

MadridMan,

And like the philosophers say, "The best is yet to come."

My guess is the chat room has been used more during the last few days than it has in the previous six months. (Just a guess, I don't know that that's specifically true.)

Wolf (Who's finding himself here nearly twice as often as he was in the past, because it's so speedy."

#61629 - 03/12/02 08:43 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Wolf! I'm so happy to hear you're spending more time here since it's speedier and more lively. I think it helps when you're here and you know there are a number of your fellow MMMB members online at the same time. Gives a more "community" feel, I think.

taravb, I'm not 100% sure the MOST recent is to the left..sometimes I think the names are "jumbled".

By the way, the Private Message feature has been FIXED!! (or has it??!) I successfully sent one, but if anyone gets any more errors, please tell me. Thanks!! Enjoy!

Saludos, MadridMan

#61630 - 03/14/02 06:37 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

madridman great improvement on your website.im really spending more on your site.spending more time on the entire site than just on your 3 channel t.v. oh and by the way are you planning on adding more channels such as antena 3 etb 1 and telemadrid etc.yeah and youre right about the idea that we can know when the madridman members are online.oh and about that.does it really mean there online or just online on your website?

#61631 - 03/14/02 07:04 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hi fmiketheman! Thanks for the kind words. smile

The names of the "Recent Visitors" are recent visitors to the message board only, seemingly with the most recent visitor starting at the left.

As for the live TV stations on the " MadridMan\'s Spain Radio, TV, Music, & Movies " page, there are only 3 live TV stations on the internet and I have them all listed on that page. I understand Telemadrid is "in the works" to provide internet broadcast, but they've been planning that for more than a year. I'll be adding a couple of new goodies to that page in the next few weeks, probably after I return from Spain (on April 8th).

Enjoy the NEW-and-IMPROVED message board!

Saludos, MadridMan

#61632 - 03/15/02 02:54 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hi madridman

your welcome.great to know youll be adding new goodygoodys too this website.its becoming addicting. wink

oh and have a nice time in spain.
pardon the somewhat crazy statement.of course youre going to have a nice time.youre going to have a blast. laugh
man i cant wait to return to spain myself.actually planning for it for december around the 3 greatest holidays period.

#61633 - 03/18/02 03:12 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Roe Offline

Loc: california
Hey MadrinMan,
Is there anyway to make it so you can search all of the message catagories instead of only one at a time? For some things I don´t know which catagory it would be in and I had to go through one by one.

#61634 - 03/18/02 04:25 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hi Roe! Before, one could search all forums, but I discontinued that ability because of the great strain on the server -- it was causing problems -- and now that this new version takes even MORE server memory doing such an "across the board" search of all forums would be even more of a strain so I don't think I'll do that... I might try it for a few days though.. what do you think? Oh what the heck.. until Thursday, we'll be able to search all forums and see how it goes. Okay? So there you go. Go for it!

Saludos, MadridMan

#61635 - 03/18/02 05:08 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

There is a God after all! Thanks MM! I knew I wouldn't be the only one (you nearly convinced me last week when I asked about this same thing).

I'd rather wait one long time than several short ones whilst I searched for the all elusive thread I thought I remembered from somewhere/sometime.

I also think it is useful for someone wanting a general overview of a topic - i.e. everything they could possibly want to know about olives all in one go (rather than just searching for ones that might pop up in Transportation or General Chatter!) rolleyes rolleyes

Thanks Roe for bringing this up again. laugh

Jo

#61636 - 03/18/02 05:17 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

2 minutes to find 191 references to olives in the whole of the archives and can you believe 12 of them WERE in Transportation - now who would have thought of looking there? rolleyes

I know, it's a bad example really, and one would probably be more specific in a search otherwise there are too many posts thrown up to sift through.

Jo

#61637 - 03/18/02 09:11 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

What?!?! ONLY 191 references to olives? wink

MadridMan, you'll have to start posting random olive-related comments to get the count higher...d'oh!

#61638 - 03/19/02 03:19 AM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
wyndyl Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Thanks, MM...

It is soooooooh much better to be able to search all forums instead of one laugh

I was wondering, though, does anyone have their screen blinking as it searches confused
It could just be the system I'm using here(at work, right now) eek

Anyways, I hope this search function works :p

#61639 - 03/19/02 07:00 AM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
LostInMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hey MadridMan!

Are you still reading this thread? I like the improvements on the site, but I've got a suggestion about another "feature" that would fit this site really well. Have you heard of a "wiki"? It's a website (or a section of a website) where anyone can edit any of the pages. It's really useful for sites where there's a lot of faqs being passed around.

Here\'s a link to the WikiPedia as an example - it's a website that's using the wiki concept to build an online encyclopedia. Since the MadridMan site is used for lots of factual information (like "What's the weather in Madrid like in August?") this would be a great tool to provide to the dedicated community you've built here. It's self-maintained by the people who use it. (Anyone who has details can add new pages or update ones that are already created adding content. If some jerk comes in and deletes something or writes something bad, another person will come along right behind and fix the page up again quickly.)

You spend a lot of time going through and moving discussion topics around and asking people to search the archives for discussions about topics that have been talked to death before. It seems that it would be better to provide a self-building FAQ that would allow the discussions to be more like discussions ("What do you think about the ETA?") and the FAQs to be more concise, organized and accessible ("How to get married in Spain").

Just a thought... I can point out some open-source Perl code on the web that you could try out... no databases to set up and no maintenence. You just install it and go.

-Russ

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments