Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#61635 - 03/18/02 05:08 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
There is a God after all! Thanks MM! I knew I wouldn't be the only one (you nearly convinced me last week when I asked about this same thing).

I'd rather wait one long time than several short ones whilst I searched for the all elusive thread I thought I remembered from somewhere/sometime.

I also think it is useful for someone wanting a general overview of a topic - i.e. everything they could possibly want to know about olives all in one go (rather than just searching for ones that might pop up in Transportation or General Chatter!) rolleyes rolleyes

Thanks Roe for bringing this up again. laugh

Jo

#61636 - 03/18/02 05:17 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
2 minutes to find 191 references to olives in the whole of the archives and can you believe 12 of them WERE in Transportation - now who would have thought of looking there? rolleyes

I know, it's a bad example really, and one would probably be more specific in a search otherwise there are too many posts thrown up to sift through.

Jo

#61637 - 03/18/02 09:11 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
What?!?! ONLY 191 references to olives? wink

MadridMan, you'll have to start posting random olive-related comments to get the count higher...d'oh!

#61638 - 03/19/02 03:19 AM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
wyndyl Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Thanks, MM...

It is soooooooh much better to be able to search all forums instead of one laugh

I was wondering, though, does anyone have their screen blinking as it searches confused
It could just be the system I'm using here(at work, right now) eek

Anyways, I hope this search function works :p

#61639 - 03/19/02 07:00 AM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
LostInMadrid Offline

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Hey MadridMan!

Are you still reading this thread? I like the improvements on the site, but I've got a suggestion about another "feature" that would fit this site really well. Have you heard of a "wiki"? It's a website (or a section of a website) where anyone can edit any of the pages. It's really useful for sites where there's a lot of faqs being passed around.

Here\'s a link to the WikiPedia as an example - it's a website that's using the wiki concept to build an online encyclopedia. Since the MadridMan site is used for lots of factual information (like "What's the weather in Madrid like in August?") this would be a great tool to provide to the dedicated community you've built here. It's self-maintained by the people who use it. (Anyone who has details can add new pages or update ones that are already created adding content. If some jerk comes in and deletes something or writes something bad, another person will come along right behind and fix the page up again quickly.)

You spend a lot of time going through and moving discussion topics around and asking people to search the archives for discussions about topics that have been talked to death before. It seems that it would be better to provide a self-building FAQ that would allow the discussions to be more like discussions ("What do you think about the ETA?") and the FAQs to be more concise, organized and accessible ("How to get married in Spain").

Just a thought... I can point out some open-source Perl code on the web that you could try out... no databases to set up and no maintenence. You just install it and go.

-Russ

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments