Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#61595 - 03/05/02 02:27 PM New MB Version! New Features!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
We are NOW running on the NEWEST version available to this message board and it has an EXCELERATOR (VROOM! VROOM!!) too so things should move even faster. Play around with the features and let me know if there's anything you REALLY like or REALLY DON'T. I'm learning it JUST as you are and will add/remove some features as needed. Enjoy!!! (yes, THIS was the BIG surprise) smile

Saludos, MadridMan (WOO HOO!!! It's finally UP and running on GAS!)

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#61596 - 03/05/02 02:31 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Not only fast, we can see people who are signed on and visiting the board. Super cool! You really are making this thing happen!

This gives us a chance to start more activity towards the chat room. Yahoo!!!!!!

Wolf

#61597 - 03/05/02 02:56 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
It goes definitely faster. The new features I like most are the reply editing facilities.

Being able to see the postings to which you are contributing will end the continuous back-and-forth from the board. The post preview function is also very helpful, personally is good help to keep errors in spelling low (relatively)

#61598 - 03/05/02 07:56 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
mCmad Offline

Loc: London, U.K.
I use a 56k modem to access the internet and your site has DEFINITELY speeded up.

Jolly good show old boy.

#61599 - 03/05/02 08:05 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
SuePycroft Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi MM, could not believe my eyes when I logged on today, fantastic new board, keep up the good work.
Cheers.
Sue

#61600 - 03/05/02 11:41 PM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
This "recent visitors" thing is cool--we can find out who else has posted recently and even read through all their recent postings! I have to track down Wolf and CaliBasco's postings--I'll enjoy a good chuckle!

smile

#61601 - 03/06/02 08:22 AM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

MadridMan giveth and MadridMan taketh away. frown

Well, SO MUCH for that cool, new "Recent Visitors and things they visited" feature. I agree, taravb. I thought that was really interesting. Maybe it's the voyeur in me, eh? Unfortunately, it also causes a HUGE memory spike on the server which hosts MadridMan.com and has caused ".cgi script errors". Seems this cool, new version, with all the added bells and whistles, can only be effectively utilized on a dedicated server.. which MadridMan.com doesn't use (those are like $300-$600+ per month! eek ), but rather a shared server.

I'll leave everything else as is as long as it doesn't cause problems. Please let me know about any error messages you may get too. But at least the message board is much much faster!

I'm really sorry if you feel I've given you candy and then taken it from your hands after having tasted it. frown Really. I'm disappointed with this too. The webhosting company has even suggested I CHANGE to less memory intensive message board software/company! I don't think this is really an option as I'm afraid we'd have to start from scratch, square one, with a blank slate. NOT going to do that.

Well again, tell me what you think of how things are now and what you like and don't like, but hopefully you'll just be happy having a faster board.

taravb, as always, to see/read Recent Posts of a particular member, just click on their PROFILE (the one with the face and question mark) icon next to their username (next to the edit, email, and other icons) and click the link that say "View recent posts" and that should help you find recent post by CaliBasco, Wolf, and your other favorite "Authors of the Message Board". cool

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#61602 - 03/06/02 09:04 AM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Is it just me or can't I find the recent posters bit or who's viewing now etc? Also, I tried to edit my message I just posted and when it went back it hadn't changed anything. I'm like this with cars, though, and it will probably take me a while to learn how to drive it properly. Very much quicker though MM. Nice one.

#61603 - 03/06/02 09:14 AM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Sniff! Sniffle! Sniff! (next part deleted, blowing nose!)! frown

I loved that feature. It brought us all together --- closer --- like a family, which we already are, but we'd be even closer.

But, I for one understand why you can't do it. That's a lot of money for a dedicated server. At least we had a taste of it, and saw just how many people were accessing the site, and that onto itself was very impressive. There's no reason for anyone to doubt why this is the #1 site online for Madrid, and a fabulous portal for the rest of Spain!

Maybe the day will come when you'll be able to offer that fabulous service. Until then, we still have as much as anyone could ask for.

Wolf (Blowing his nose again, and wiping away his tears - rolleyes )

#61604 - 03/06/02 09:16 AM Re: New MB Version! New Features!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Anchovy Front, do you mean the "Recent Visitors to the message board" and upon clicking their names you could read what they had read? No, you're not seeing things, as I stated above in my recent post (which I was able to edit successfully - odd that you couldn't) I "yanked" it due to server memory problems. It's still available, but I won't activate it again until/unless I know the server can handle it.

Now.. let's post this and see if I can edit it successfully....

Saludos, MadridMan

Test edit.. Did it work!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments