Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#61503 - 02/23/02 08:17 PM The Royal Army invades Spain
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
At least for some minutes wink

While making some execises near Gibraltar a british commando disembarked in a spanish beach. Imagine the faces of the fhisermen who telled the commander that they were in Spain, and they had confused the beach. eek

This happend a week ago. And the british embassy excused themselves and said they were very embarrased for the incident. The press and the people has taken it in a humorous way, it is just an anechdote and it has no importance. But it is at least curious smile

Fernando

#61504 - 02/24/02 12:10 AM Re: The Royal Army invades Spain
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Fernando,

I can just picture those fishermen watching the landing craft coming in, the Marines deploying in the sand, and everyone laughing, as they took up defensive positions. It had to be funny. I wish I could have seen it - laugh

"Sorry mate! Wrong beach! Ta! Ta!" and away they go, looking a few hundred yards to the East, and Gibraltar, where they were supposed to be. Hey! Sand is sand.

This reminds me of an old movie, "The Mouse That Roared," about a small nation the size of a postage stamp, declaring war on the U.S., and invading us, with about six guys armed with bows and arrows. It was a hilarious comedy, and when the U.S. decided to surrender to them, they didn't know what to do. Their whole intent of declaring war on the U.S. was to get aid for their country, all of a sudden they won, and would have to give us aid. Bummer! smile

Wolf (Who probably would have taken the pole from his beach umbrella and hung his white under wear on them, to show he surrendered - rolleyes )

#61505 - 02/24/02 06:13 AM Re: The Royal Army invades Spain
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Fernando writes:
Quote:
While making some execises near Gibraltar a british commando disembarked in a spanish beach ... they had confused the beach.

A 'likely' story; but it's just one more sign that the 'Brits' consider the Costa del Sol to be their own (i.e., a British resort). It demonstrates how easy it would be for British Spec-Ops forces to establish a beach-head, extend the British zone of influence from Gibraltar and take over the entire Costa del Sol. First it was La Linea. Next will be ... ?? eek
A case in point: My wife and I were out on the point in Torremolinos and stopped to have a coffee once not too long ago. The young 'Brit' counter-person acted as if she didn't understand us when we ordered Café con leche. My take on the situation: they had to be MI-6 (British Foreign Intelligence) spies. rolleyes
Quote:
... The press and the people has taken it in a humorous way, it is just an anechdote and it has no importance. But it is at least curious

Don't be so sure, Fernando. Could it have been what the military calls a 'dry run:' training exercise to prepare for the 'real thing?' The next time it will come with air support from the British Special Air Service (SAS) and Royal Marine Commando units. The Brits want Malaga, Marbella, Torremolinos and Nerja! To arms, Citizens! We must make a stand! Have our Para-military force set up an HQ at Pepe's in Torremolinos: we can coordinate our counter action against that British invasion from there. laugh
'Brit' Spec-Ops forces are already arriving in Malaga on charter flights from the U.K. pretending to be tourists. It is estimated that there are thousands on the ground now, along the Costa del Sol, awaiting orders. ¡No Pasaran! eek
P.D.
Then again, it may have been that the RSM of the British Commando unit was just 'showing off' his unit and their tactics to Mum and Dad as they watched from their Villa in San Roque. rolleyes

[ 02-25-2002: Message edited by: Eddie ]

#61506 - 02/24/02 08:15 AM Re: The Royal Army invades Spain
jaimemiguel Offline

Loc: columbus, ohio USA
From what I saw back in October on Nacional Day: Parade , Spain can defend herself. But if you need help - use this forum to put out the call. I'll be there!

[ 02-24-2002: Message edited by: jaimemiguel ]

#61507 - 02/25/02 02:51 AM Re: The Royal Army invades Spain
Miguelito Offline

If this 'invasion' would have happened a few weeks before, it would have been a good theme for the chirigotas.

#61508 - 02/25/02 05:24 AM Re: The Royal Army invades Spain
Bricamb Offline

Loc: Cambridge UK
The event was fairly widely covered in the British media. One tabloid headline screamed "We Invade Spain". Seriously, it seems there were a lot of red faces amongst the soldiers that day....

#61509 - 02/27/02 12:49 PM Re: The Royal Army invades Spain
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Fernando - That story is priceless rolleyes laugh rolleyes laugh! I'll be laughing for a week! Thanks for sharing even if it took me a few days to get back to the board to read it.

For those of us who remember our favorite Brit expat who lives in that general area - now we know why AnchovyFront hasn't been on the board - he's cowering in shame behind that white flag of surrender!!!

#61510 - 02/27/02 12:59 PM Re: The Royal Army invades Spain
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Puna,

Actually Anchovy was a British spy. He called in the wrong coordinates for the landing, now he's seeking political asylum in Spain, because the British plan on taking away his rum ration - eek

According to latest reports, he's planning on making a full out assault against the next landing craft with a cadre of burros using scuba gear. He plans on having them "kick in" the side of the boat, and while the Marines are distracted, he's going to steal their rum, and take it home to share with his burros - rolleyes

Some people will do anything for a pint or two of that good stuff!

Wolf (Whose sanity has now left the building with Elvis! - :p )

#61511 - 02/27/02 01:50 PM Re: The Royal Army invades Spain
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
laugh laugh laugh

#61512 - 02/27/02 02:09 PM Re: The Royal Army invades Spain
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
And we're asking him to adopt us???? wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments