Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#61442 - 02/14/02 06:41 PM Re: Any interest in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Spain?
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
Muhlegg won ANOTHER Gold for Spain today, this one in the 10k X-Country. The TV gave an interesting background for this "Spaniard". Born and raised in Germany, he competed for Germany until hehad some dispute with German sporting officials. He then entered into some sort of 'contract' to compete under the Spanish flag. He still lives and trains in Germany. This 'contract' expires after these games. Very strange. But with the EU, whats to stop a Frenchman from living in Greece and competeing for Denmarck? But, Spain now has two gold medals, more than many traditional winter sports powers, including Wisconsin.

#61443 - 02/15/02 03:47 AM Re: Any interest in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Spain?
hombre_gizon Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hello!

Yes, Muller has won its second medal. Look at what I said yesterday! He knows that spaniards maybe will think "this one is not spaniard, is a german" so, everytime he can he tries to promote him as Spaniard.

Look at this news and the photo. In the news is said that in the last 100 m of the race he stopped a second to grab a Spanish flag and he finished the race pushing him with just one stick because in the other hand he carried the flag:

"He was so far in front Thursday that he slowed down to grab a Spanish flag, carried it in his right hand for the final 100 meters and waved it as he crossed the finish line."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/olympic...legg_ap-01.html

#61444 - 02/15/02 10:18 AM Re: Any interest in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Spain?
Tia Offline

Quote:
Kurt: Spain now has two gold medals, more than many traditional winter sports powers, including Wisconsin.

My 'Finlandia' has two gold medals too. wink

#61445 - 02/15/02 11:18 AM Re: Any interest in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Spain?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Hey!

You guys be knocking my home state of Wisconsin - frown

Before the games are over, Wisconsin will garner a nice chunk of the medals won by the U.S. It's funny how it happens that way. The U.S. Olympic Committee, and the powers behind the different venue movements have all but eliminated any potential training sites in Wisconsin, yet each time around, the medal counts show the Wisconsin influence. I personally think it's a travesty that the U.S. Olympic and skating people have turned against the West Allis speed skating rink, where almost all of the U.S. speed skaters came from in the past. Even our Wisconsin Gold Medalist from the games so far trained in Canada, because he wouldn't use the Colorado or upstate NY facilities. Even Bob Costa during one of his broadcasts intimated that the lack of support for the broad base of skaters, etc, that are Wisconsin/Illinois based has been dumped on for political reasons. That should change.

By the end of the games, Wisconsin will prove once again to be a world "power-house" of medals - laugh It's written on the ice in West Allis, where all the greats started their quests for gold. It is, and should be, the home of the U.S. speed skating team. Period!

Wolf (Who also remembers when the only American ski jumpers who were world class came from Wisconsin and the UP of Michigan. We need that back too!)

#61446 - 02/15/02 05:02 PM Re: Any interest in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Spain?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Wolf:

We all know that cheese causes a lack of oxygen to the brain, which is why the USOC decided to "wise up" and move out of "the Home of the Dells". Actually, I think the governor of Wisconsin, when apprised of the Olympic exodus, chased after the team in a "Dells Duck". Perhaps he should've strapped on some skis...

Another Olympic oddity: Southern Calfornia seems to be a figure-skating mecca. By the way, we don't have any ice here, and it snowed in the valley for the first time in ten-plus years, just last month.

CaliBasco (Who knows that the best Olympians come from Minnesota...just ask Herb Brooks)

#61447 - 02/21/02 09:11 AM Re: Any interest in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Spain?
Wolf Offline

Cali,

Wisconsin is up to two golds and a bronze medal at this point. Minnesota is doing about the same. You're right about So. Cal, it seems like that area has become the hot bed of skating. I got you on the ducks - smile Nice! Real nice!

What's sad is the fact that the USOC doesn't recognize that speed skating in Wisconsin draws the best out of Illinois as well.

You were right for years about Minnesota and hockey. But as I pored over the roster for this year's team (even though they are pros), I saw a bigger influence from the east, where hockey has really become king in the New England area. With the success of so many college teams out that way, it's getting to be a natural for kids to migrate into fairly local schools in that area.

Still, both Wisconsin and Minnesota are represented on our hockey team this year.

If you recall, the scoring star of the 1980 US hockey team was a guy by the name of Johnson. Hailed from Madison. Son of the immortal Bob Johnson, hockey coach extra-ordinaire - Can't let you forget that! wink

If I was in Spain I'd be eating up every moment of the olympics I could on TV. In 1998, the European coverage of the summer games out of Atlanta was as amazingly good. They covered all venues, and because of the hours it was on over there, we really enjoyed watching it. Fantastic coverage!

Wolf

#61448 - 02/21/02 10:35 AM Re: Any interest in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Spain?
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
LA being the centre of the figure skating world was probably helped by the Harding-Kerrigan affair and it's conversion into a cheezey TV movie. Then everyone wanted to move to LA and be a figure skater!

#61449 - 02/21/02 03:00 PM Re: Any interest in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Spain?
Tia Offline

Quote:
Wolf wrote: You guys be knocking my home state of Wisconsin

Wolf,

Please, don´t be offended! That was not my intention. At first I thought of leaving out 'the Wisconsin part of the meaning' but for some unaccountable reason I didn´t. I´m just happy about all the medals my Finnish heroes win. smile

#61450 - 02/21/02 03:22 PM Re: Any interest in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Spain?
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
True, Wolf, we are impressed with the progress of Wisconsin in joining the first world. We don't mean to insult it and the news I heard that there is now indoor plumbing made me very happy indeed! laugh

Don't knock LA though cause CaliBasco will have to gas up the SUV, pick up a double tall mocha latte decaf, and busta cap in yo ass with his Glock-9!

#61451 - 02/21/02 04:52 PM Re: Any interest in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Spain?
Wolf Offline

Tia,

I wasn't offended, it was funny - smile

Like Asterault said, we finally got indoor plumbing up there in the sticks. But I don't like it. That big old outhouse sitting in the middle of the living room, and a hole drilled through the floor under it doesn't seem to be all that much of an improvement, except in the dead of winter - eek

Like I always tell everyone, my computer system is a gold fish bowl monitor, abacus keyboard/computer, and a piece of rope tied outside to a currant bush for current (electricity). Seems to work, as long as I keep the string pulled real tight on my phone line which is a tin can with another one on da udder end, attached to a phone at the general store - rolleyes

Tia, Finland is having a great Olympics. They usually do. I think chasing the reindeer on skis so they can milk them probably helps - laugh Anyway that's what this Danish friend of mine said.

Wolf (Who loves poking and getting poked fun at.) smile

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments