Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#61432 - 02/12/02 04:15 PM Any interest in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Spain?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I'm just wondering...are people in Spain following the Winter Olympics at all?

Tara smile

#61433 - 02/13/02 12:22 AM Re: Any interest in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Spain?
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
Hey, a Spanish ski-jumper won one of the first Gold's of the SLC Games. Thats more golds than Sweden and Canada combined! Viva Espana!!

#61434 - 02/13/02 03:55 AM Re: Any interest in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Spain?
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
It's not as popular as in the States and the Spanish team sent was pretty small. We are more of a summer games country.

#61435 - 02/13/02 05:11 PM Re: Any interest in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Spain?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
That's always intrigued me, since outside Switzerland, Spain is the most mountainous European country...more than Austria and many other ski "powerhouses". There's always plenty of skiing in the winter, and Jaca (Huesca) is still trying to host the games, if I'm not mistaken...

#61436 - 02/13/02 10:53 PM Re: Any interest in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Spain?
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
During my visit last year, I noticed that Granada is trying to get the 2010 games, which would make sense with the Sierra Nevadas there. Is there any word on that? Any chance of Granada hosting??

#61437 - 02/14/02 02:08 AM Re: Any interest in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Spain?
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
It might seem silly, but it is hard to be interested on the games, when everybody is so busy living "Operación Triunfo's aftermath"! Although it ended on Monday, it's still on every tv channel all day one way or another, including the news. The last OP program was the most watched in 10 years on Spanish tv, that means since 1992, which probably means since Barcelona's olympic games' opening ceremony!!! (this is MY guess)

Only the controversy about the possibility of ruling on "indecent postures" in figure-skating is getting some attention.
I'm afraid that the fact that the skier who won the gold medal the first or second day of competition for Spain has a German origin, and is a nationalized Spaniard, takes the "thrill" out of it for most people.

#61438 - 02/14/02 10:27 AM Re: Any interest in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Spain?
hombre_gizon Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hey Pim!

Today at work we've been talking about this issue. "What do you think about the gold medal that the Spaniard nationalized German (Jon Muller) has won?"

We have drawn some conclusions and the main conclusion is that we are happy for the medal.

This man wasn't a good sportman three years ago and Germans didn't want him in their team. So he become spaniard and after becoming spaniard he has started winning everything. In all the interviews he says that he's spaniard and he ONLY speaks in Spanish even in german interviews laugh because he says that he NOW is spaniard and he must think in the future not in the past.

There is an opposite situation: the swimmer Martín Zubero. All spaniards are happy when he wins one medal and all say that he is Spanish ... but ... he's spend all his life in the US and he just don't know speaking in Spanish!. Therefore, if he just speak a little Spanish it must be because he doesn't "feel" very spaniard. He just was born in Spain.

At this moment I prefer Muller than Zubero because I think that the important thing is not where are you from but where you "feel" that you belong to, and Muller seems to feel more spaniard even that most of us (spaniards) but Zubero and many as him are spaniards due to the country where they were born but not due to what they feel.

What do you think about it?

#61439 - 02/14/02 02:07 PM Re: Any interest in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Spain?
Tia Offline

It wouldn´t surprise me if Johann Mûhlegg won several gold medals in the Olympic Games. He´s one of the best right now.

#61440 - 02/14/02 03:01 PM Re: Any interest in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Spain?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Spain, although not prominant in skiing, like most European nations, had some pretty darned good competitors in the past. As an example, Francisco Ochoa, who won a gold medal in Alpine skiing back in 1972.

But the success rate of getting medals started to dwindle along the way, and by the 90s, there hasn't been too much representation in conventional events, but from what I've seen, and heard, there's a "new breed of ski and snowboard kids" who are starting to show real promise in some of the newer events, like half pipe on the snowboard, and moguls on skis.

I have a hunch, by the next Olympics, Spaniards will have plenty to cheer about when their athletes hit the slopes. It will be nice to see them have a bigger presence again. I think they only sent five athletes this year - not certain though.

Wolf

#61441 - 02/14/02 04:36 PM Re: Any interest in the 2002 Winter Olympics in Spain?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
With Martin Zubero I got the best of both worlds...an American who was born in Spain who then "became" Spaniard for the Olympics competition...what's not to like? I felt like him winning was a victory for both countries.

If the Spanish Olympic Committee needs me, I'm available for their hockey team. I'm sure a few years of HS competition make me better than most, and a lock for the team. Then I can live in Spain!!! laugh

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 800 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments