Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#61362 - 02/06/02 09:15 PM Alleged police beating
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
I hope the beloved city of Barcelona takes seriously the reaction of the NAACP to the recent event in Spain ( see article here ). I hope that it maintains its both progressive and pragmatic approaches to Spain and to the global community. If it buries itself in Catalan elitism, in this instance especially, it will injure very important Spanish and of course Catalan ties to the United States (especially in the economic arena).

I hope that all the regions of Spain try and encourage the Barcelona police to work in resolving this issue with the NAACP.

[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#61363 - 02/07/02 12:35 AM Re: Alleged police beating
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
That is really awful. No simpering, forced apology could make up for being beaten so badly. stupid. I hope he doesn't experience any permanent injuries; it would certainly make his career as a musician difficult...

#61364 - 02/07/02 08:44 AM Re: Alleged police beating
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Mmm, I don't know if we should give credit to this notice.

Something like that would have been a headline in all our newspapers.

By the way, it is nothing to be proud of, but also nothing to make a race against the spanish police. Our polices (all of them) are extremly correct when they deal with suspects, and far less agresive like, for example, in the USA.

It is not chauvinistic, but I really believe that the spanish justice needs no international intervention to solve such extralimitations of 4 isolated (probably corrupt) policemen.

Regards.

Fernando

#61365 - 02/07/02 09:26 AM Re: Alleged police beating
hombre_gizon Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hey Fernando and company!

Yes, it's true. The story appeared in the news on the T.V. few weeks ago. But I agree with Fernando. Our police has nothing to do with U.S. police. Even in their actions against E.T.A. or against the Kale Borroka (street struggle) they don't shoot nor use their strength.

It is just an isolated event that I suposse it will be carefully studied. They must research into the events.

I don't think that it have something to do with racism. I'm sure that if the suspect were white and struggle with them to avoid the arrest I'd have past the same.

#61366 - 02/07/02 10:33 AM Re: Alleged police beating
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
how bizarre for me to read this now ... the Barcelona Symphony was on tour in the US late January and I saw them here in South Florida ... I am surprised the press didn't catch on to it locally. Anyway, I hope that it doesn't permanently affect this musicians' career.

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#61367 - 02/07/02 10:39 AM Re: Alleged police beating
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
First - the entire incident, beyond doubt, is wrong and very possibly racist in origion! But, I agree with the last two posts in that the situation is one for the Spanish legal authorities to deal with - not the US authorities nor the NAACP. Of course, the NAACP has the right to express concern but resolving the situation is NOTup to any representative of the US. The US embassy obviously has the right to intervene if asked to do so by the victim. However, the incident occurred on Spanish soil - the Spanish government certainly is concerned about the incident; I have to believe proper steps will be taken to investigate and penalize, if warranted,(and I do believe they are guilty) the four police involved.

#61368 - 02/07/02 01:24 PM Re: Alleged police beating
JJP Offline

Loc: ca.eeuu
Puna, Fernando, hombre … churro … all already posted,

I completely agree ... a shame that such a person would be put through the trauma of a "police attack."

Anyone - NAACP, US Embassy - is entitled to speak on behalf of the musician, but has no right to interfere on Spanish soil. The Spanish police – especially in Barcelona – are probably already quite embarrassed.

I'd suggest the NAACP stay closer to home - the US has a far larger problem with "racial-profiling." It's a tricky subject - the police need to do their jobs efficiently, and we citizens have the right to avoid harassment.

It’s not the NAACP’s job to “police” Spain – they have enough work to do back in the U.S.

#61369 - 02/07/02 01:46 PM Re: Alleged police beating
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Sad, but true.

#61370 - 02/07/02 10:33 PM Re: Alleged police beating
toddy Offline

Loc: USA
I believe there are thousands of documented cases of racial and police violence complaints not by any US organization but by Spanish organizations.

But, I think everybody missed my point. My main argument was an economic one.
I can just about promise that if the NAACP is not satisfied with the investigation then they will push for a US economic boycott of Barcelona and possibly even Spain. They have been VERY successful in this and have forced a lot of change. I would hate to know that I have to morally boycott Spanish goods.

"Our polices (all of them) are extremly correct" Wow, can anyone argue with this? I know Spain's a cool country but Utopia?

Oh, and by the way, I have to admit (in all due respect MadridMan)my favorite region in Spain is Catalonia and my favorite city is Barcelona. Visca la Barca!

[ 02-08-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#61371 - 02/07/02 11:09 PM Re: Alleged police beating
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
There are incidents of police brutality in probably every country. That doesn't make the country bad or the police bad. It just means there's a few police officers who don't act in accordance with the law. I get tired of hearing how there's so much police brutality in the U.S., when the vast majority of the accusations are false, and when they are proven false, the media doesn't bother to print that, because it isn't as news-worthy as screaming, "POLICE BRUTALITY!"

I wonder what led up to the incident. Until the investigation is over, I'll keep a clear mind, and as for the NAACP, don't they have anything better to do than try to encite racial problems without full knowledge of what happened? It's time they start to realize that their whole reason for existence is to help create harmony between races, not incite race riots, hatred, and bigotry.

Wolf

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments