Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#61315 - 01/19/02 03:42 PM Re: MM Board I.D.
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I have a thick little book of discount coupons for use in Barcelona for museums, places of interest, shops, and a few restaurants (Pizza Hut, Pans & Co.). I got it last summer for free when I took the Barcelona "Bus Turistíc." I only used one. So the idea is out there in Spain. I'm a very frugal person - I buy clothes in thrift shops, furniture and housewares in auctions, etc., but I'm not really thrilled with the idea of coupons when I travel, maybe because it's just one more complication - and I travel to get away from complications! But that's just one person's opinion. It would be very interesting to hear from Spaniards about their ideas on this.

I'd like to go back to Fernando's idea of printing something right off this website. Even though I'm all for MM making tons of money, and I'd love to help out there, Fernando's idea appeals to the frugal, simplicity-loving side of me. For example, look at the top right-hand side of this page. See the oval Spanish flag in the background, with MadridMan's Spain Message Board over it? Why, we could all print that out - in color would be nice, slide in into a luggage tag, or even make a luggage tag with some clear plastic contact paper. Voilá! (Woops! Wrong language!) And we can still continue to work on a plan to get MM his well-deserved fortune!

#61316 - 01/22/02 10:58 AM Re: MM Board I.D.
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Fernando - great idea - and well within the budget! MM and Diana -I agree with you both-
coupon and coupon books for discounts are really an American concept. Quite frankly, they are a pain in the *** for the restaurant, hotel, store. Hawaii was full of them due to the heavy reliance on the tourist industry and to the best of my knowledge not one sponsoring participant really made any profit from participating. One time purchase at a discount - and no return visits. Its quite frankly not really worth it when geared toward a visitor. Plus you have the problem of added paperwork, explaining to non-users why someone is getting a discount, etc. etc.

It's a concept that works well for museum visits; symphony/opera/ballet tickets and the like, as well as for metro rides - but I don't think it's the way MM is going to get to Spain.

Sorry to put a damper on everyones enthusiasm but from a marketing point of view - it just "ain't worth it".

BTW - I'd use luggage tags for sure!

#61317 - 01/31/02 10:21 AM Re: MM Board I.D.
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
Sorry I am about a week late responding to this thread.

I love the idea of a image we can copy from the site and print on our own. I would also gladly pay a reasonable fee for a professionally made pin or something of that nature.

I am assuming that we would put these tags on our carry-on as well as regular luggage? Or for ladies, on purses?

What about once in Madrid? How would we recognize each other then? If I recall correctly, winking and smiling at someone in Madrid (esp. of the opposite sex) can lead to all sorts of digressions from one's planned itinerary!

Wouldn't it be great if the flight attendant announced at the beginning of the flight, will all MM Board Members please stand up and identify yourselves? laugh

Churrito (who is experiencing a little post-full moon lunacy this morning)

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#61318 - 01/31/02 11:06 AM Re: MM Board I.D.
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I'll be leaving in May for the Camino de Santiago, and have now decided to put a pair of pictures of MadridMan on the panniers I'll be using (which I'll be borrowing from Nicole!!!). I thought either that or on my circa-1978 bicycle flag...flying the MM flag on my bike would probably be on par with the scallop shell of the pilgrim. Maybe I could digitally doctor a picture of MadridMan standing in a scallop shell a la Birth of Venus...then I could do both the pilgrims and the MM'ers proud. laugh

#61319 - 01/31/02 01:44 PM Re: MM Board I.D.
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Cali,

Don't forget you'll need some MadridMan pics on a cardboard backing as well. That is - unless he has some of his old baseball cards laying around - You need them to tape onto the fender, so they hit the spokes and make a "putt-putt-putt" sound, as if you had a motorbike - rolleyes

Hey! Maybe I could use my golf car. It's converted. I have large off-road tires on it, the chassis is raised, it looks like a miniature jeep, and believe it or not, is now a 4WD smile. I put a larger engine & clutch in it so I could do "Baja trails" just like the boys with their motorcycles. There's plenty of trails around where we bought our replacement summer home in Wisconsin. Of course I removed the rack on the back where a person would carry golf clubs (how uncouth, using a golf car to play golf), and added a nice cooler. I could boogie over the route with the stereo playing tapes like "Can't Get No Satisfaction," as I made my way from one end of the trek to the other.

Would you like to join me? Even if we got lost, we'd still have some fun along the way. That is - until they took my cart away from me - frown

Wolf (Whose idea of travel is not with a bicycle seat precariously close to becoming a permanent part of his anatomy - eek )

#61320 - 01/31/02 06:29 PM Re: MM Board I.D.
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
I'm going to print, cut out (with pinking shears), and paste, the Spain Message board oval onto a hardwaring kind of cardboard or something. And then wait until the 'right' pic of MM appears in his mini screen and do the same with that on the reverse. laugh Then cover with sticky back plastic in true Blue Peter style.

How big shall we make them? I say big.

Actually, we probably don't need this kind of identification at all - just look for the highly organised non-trainer wearing, hidden valuable type persons with bags under their eyes.

What about T.shirts? Now that would be an idea. Only problem is I'd haveto wear it everyday 'just in case'.

Think I need some sleep, it's been a long day!

Jo

#61321 - 01/31/02 10:38 PM Re: MM Board I.D.
JoeSambuca Offline

Loc: New York City
Hey I have a great commercial for this idea!

A bocadillo de hamon at 4Am sold on the calle de huertas........3 euros

One bullfight ticket at la plaza de toros....4000 pts

one cafe con leche on a sunday morning with your guapa.......... one euro

A madridman luggage tag.....Priceless!

Oh boy!!

#61322 - 01/31/02 10:56 PM Re: MM Board I.D.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hahhahaahahaaaa!!! Good one, JoeSambuca. I'll hire YOU to direct it. How's that?

The ideas of printing out the speach "balloon" which says "MadridMan's Spain Message Board" is a good idea. Some luggage tags have a side where you can slip into a transparent plastic "sleep" your business card and this would be a perfect place to such a thing, I'd think.

Jo-Anne, I can send you some of "MadridMan's Greatest HITS" on the live cam if you like. hehehe.. Wait.. those are for in-house only and not for public viewing. hehhee.. wink

Anyone else have any ideas? I've given some thought to T-shirts and coffee mugs sold through a 3rd party internet company and maybe this is the way to go. But first, I'd need some original "art" for a kind of banner, logo, icon, or emblem. Maybe I'll have a friend work on that this weekend. We'll see. We're all SO busy these days.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#61323 - 01/31/02 11:27 PM Re: MM Board I.D.
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
Cali, that is hilarious! Well if you catch MM on one of his "buff" nights, you won't have to do much digital doctoring! wink

Wolf, on a side note, that sounds like such a groovy golf cart!

(It reminds me ... the last time I drove one was in the Orange Bowl Halftime Show rehearsal in '84. I crashed it -- yes, I crashed a golf cart -- because I was driving a float and you couldn't see a darn thing out of this little peephole. I was actually quite relieved!!! I think my float was a little "pac man" ... ah the 80s.)

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#61324 - 02/01/02 04:48 AM Re: MM Board I.D.
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
MM - A MUG????. A T.Shirt I can understand, but carrying a mug around is just the limit! rolleyes I can just imagine rummaging around in my bag to find it, then running up to someone, hoping to 'chink' in a meaningful way.

Jo

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments