Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#61105 - 12/02/01 05:08 PM Re: URGENT!!! VIRUS WARNING!!
zero262quick Offline

Loc: Eastern Shore of Maryland
churrocaliente,

There are not any specific extensions for viruses (that I know of), because after all, a virus is a program. If they did have specific extensions then it would be very easy to avoid them.

Viruses are commonly found as .exe (executable files). I just try to avoid attachments altogether.

Ben
pbchamp@intercom.net
I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.
- Thomas Watson (1874-1956), Chairman of IBM, 1943

"The more I meet new people, the more I like my dog."

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.
- Scottish Proverb

#61106 - 12/03/01 08:12 PM Re: URGENT!!! VIRUS WARNING!!
DavidB Offline

Loc: Adelaide, SA, Australia
Hi all.

Antonio – you are correct that Anti Virus Software is not 100% perfect but so long as you keep the identification files up to date then you are almost certain to stop any Virus from getting you.

Ben and churrocaliente – please look at my previous postings regarding the extensions that Viruses (in particular “Badtrans-B”) will have.

Ben, your comment about not opening any attachments, especially if you don’t know where they come from, is valid, but that Viruses are commonly an “.exe” is now not 100% correct. Please check the previous posting. “Badtrans-B” in fact can infect your PC by you simply opening the eMail containing an attachment. Now before you say “well don’t open the attachment”, I had “Badtrans-B” attempt to get me last night, and all I did was open the eMail, which was from a known Sender, and with a subject line that we had been corresponding on (“Badtrans-B” uses existing Message Subjects as a way of infiltrating systems) and attachments (I was expecting an eMail with some attachments from this source). At no time did I attempt to open the attachment, although the message did come up whether to “open it or save it”, however my AVS did detect that one of the attachments contained a Virus and warned me.

Regarding which Anti Virus Program is the best, well unfortunately it’s only as good as the operator who keeps it up to date. Some AVS companies are more vigilant at getting the latest identification files on line for people than others so its simply a trial an error method of finding the best. I personally use Sophos from England, but it is aimed at the Corporate market rather than the home user (I am permitted to use it at home as well as at work and I recommend it, and sell it to my Corporate clients). But I have other, small businesses (1 to 2 PC’s) who use Norton AVS and McAfee and are more than happy.

Regarding Anti Virus Software slowing your PC down then I suggest that you up-grade your PC as my AVS certainly doesn’t have an effect on the operation of my PC. It could be that you had your AVS scheduled to scan on a regular basis and this may have had an effect. However, as far as I am concerned “and ounce of protection is worth a ton of happiness” or as the Boy Scouts say “Be Prepared”. Also Ben, it really is not a good thing to boast that you are a “Hacker”, but a “Good Hacker”. Some people in the Computer Industry believe that “all hackers are bad hackers”, and are actively pursuing them, so please be careful with what you say.

Hope this helps

David smile

#61107 - 12/04/01 05:32 PM Re: URGENT!!! VIRUS WARNING!!
zero262quick Offline

Loc: Eastern Shore of Maryland
DavidB,

>>“Badtrans-B” in fact can infect your PC by you simply opening the eMail containing an attachment.<<

That's why I like Outlook Express so much - you can read the email without opening it.

>>people in the Computer Industry believe that “all hackers are bad hackers”<<

I was not bragging that I was a hacker, I was disproving the statement that all hackers were bad with an example. If people want to think they are all bad, that is just ignorance on their part and they can pursue me all they want, but computer data is so easy to erase.

Ben
pbchamp@intercom.net
I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.
- Thomas Watson (1874-1956), Chairman of IBM, 1943

"The more I meet new people, the more I like my dog."

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.
- Scottish Proverb

#61108 - 12/04/01 06:12 PM Re: URGENT!!! VIRUS WARNING!!
DavidB Offline

Ben

Don't take me wrong on this thing, I'm only trying to help you avoid any potential future problems. Those in the Computer Industry who pursue hackers have many ways of stopping them, and one of them is to force the ISP that the Hacker is using to stop supply of their services to them. So, no connection to the world. Whilst that may seem to be against everything that all of us believe in (ie Freedom of Speech) it is a fact of life. So please, be careful.

Also re:

Quote:
That's why I like Outlook Express so much - you can read the email without opening it.

I use Outlook Express at home and have it set to view the body of the eMail in the Preview Pane BUT not to "automatically download the message in the Preview Pane". Even so "Badtrans-B" attempted to get onto my system but was stopped by my Anti Virus Software.

Check out the latest warning re "Goner-A" Virus.

David smile

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: DavidB ]

#61109 - 12/04/01 11:44 PM Re: URGENT!!! VIRUS WARNING!!
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
Hey guys, in the end isn't a hacker just someone who is extremely knowledgeable about a particular system and how it operates? Someone who is capable of subverting a system because of his/her proximity to it? Apply this knowledge for the benefit or disadvantage of others? This could be applied and has been applied to many different fields ... rolleyes

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

#61110 - 12/05/01 12:13 AM Re: URGENT!!! VIRUS WARNING!!
DavidB Offline

churrocaliente

You are 100% correct.

In a perverse way I admire those who are "hackers", and those who actually write the Viruses that roam the Internet, as they are extremely clever in the manner in which they go about what they do. I say perverse in as much as, because of them, I am extremely busy at work selling, and installing devices and methodologies to stop their end product from doing damage to businesses. Without them, life would be a little mundane to say the least.

So some good does come from what they do, as it means that I am kept in work which ultimately means that I can do what I love to do, which is to travel, especially to Spain.

But the main aim of this entire thread is to ensure that every-one uses some methodology to stop Viruses from infiltrating their Computer Systems.

David smile smile

#61111 - 12/05/01 10:20 AM Re: URGENT!!! VIRUS WARNING!!
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
Thankfully there are people like you out there willing to do "dirty work" for us!!!

Does it ever surprise you in your line of work that some people never want to take the time to learn the basics about their computers and how to keep them healthy? It's much the same with cars. I am much closer to my mac than my car. I wouldn't know how to change a tire, but I can easily change a hard drive. I have to put a note on my windshield to remind myself when to change the oil, but I run Norton Doctor every two weeks on my machine. Good thing I don't drive very much ... and if I had a boyfriend I'd have to give him some chore, right? (Honey, fix my car!)

When I found out about gone.scr I IMMEDIATELY called a friend of mine who has had virus issues in the past. I knew that if she opened that cleverly disguised virus, she would go through so much mental stress that it would be as if the virus had attacked her personally!!!

Churrito

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments