MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#61038 - 11/15/01 10:05 AM Shoot it...
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Quick question for MadridMan after seeing Eddie's pics yesterday. I have just bought a digital camera and joined the modern world, after throwing away both my pin-hole and Box Brownie things.

Not being very technically minded, I have just about worked out how to use the damn thing, but would it be possible for board members to have a designated spot on this site where we could post photos of anything interesting to do with Spain? (With the occasional naked lady thrown in, of course!
laugh )

#61039 - 11/15/01 10:25 AM Re: Shoot it...
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
This is a GREAT idea, Anchovy Front! However, about 9 months ago I moved up to the "Higher Traffic/Larger Hard Drive Space" account and all this "goodness" rolleyes costs me $50/month (I'm also hosting 2 other websites at half that rate -- all total = $100/month. eek oh, Plus the internet connection which will soon be $40/month with Road Runner) And worse yet, I'm nearing the end of my HD space already. I suppose I could move up to the NEXT level of service from my webhost, but it'll cost even more.

Another problem is that many people often take HIGH resolution photos with digital camera and these file sizes can be as large or larger than 1mb each. Add to that if that same person has a high speed internet connection and doesn't notice the amount of files sent to a server and before you know it that person has sent/uploaded 20mb in 10-20 photos.

At the moment, I only have a pokey dialup connect and have my email account setup to NOT receive files greater than 100K since people have been known to send me all their vacation photos (without warning). Besides, if I did/could receive the files/photos, I'd have to rescale them, make thumbnails, transition pages, and then upload them all again. It's a lot of work and a lot of maintenance.

How about this for an alternative (won't be a popular one, I'm sure). How about if I make a new site for Spain-Travelers' photos. Unfortunately, I don't think I could make this a free service with the webhost costs and time involved and I'm not so sure anyone would want to pay to post/upload their photos. Then I'd have to get into payment methods, etcetera. Ugh. rolleyes

Anyone else have ideas on this topic? I'd be happy to entertain any thoughts/suggestions you might have. Thanks! And thanks for the idea, AF. smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#61040 - 11/15/01 10:43 AM Re: Shoot it...
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Anchovy, MadridMan,

There are a lot of locations that members can use, that are free. They can set up their own pages, uploading pictures to that location, and use links back to the MadridMan site. Then, all that would actually exist here would be the links, and maybe a small "blurb" about what the linked pages contain.

Fishy guy! Here's one link where you can set up the "freebies" at.... check it out dude! wink
http://www.beads2u.com/link2.html

Wolf

#61041 - 11/15/01 11:31 AM Re: Shoot it...
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Wot! Not even one naked lady?? frown

Thanks for the swift response chaps.I had a feeling it wasn't as easy as that, or else you would have done it already, MM. One question, though.... how many hours do you get in your day? I would need at least thirty six just to get through half of what you achieve! You have the admiration and gratitude of everyone, but you know that anyway!

Wolf, I will certainly attempt to get started with that site you kindly posted and maybe frighten everyone to death with Anchovy's police department mugshots everywhere, together with views of snow on the hills near Estepona. (A white sprinkling visible from my house on the coast this morning - remember, all we Brits talk about is the weather wink )

#61042 - 11/15/01 11:47 AM Re: Shoot it...
Wolf Offline

Anchovy,

Weather and "nekked" ladies.... laugh

Isn't that the two things talked about? Now, on your pages you can put up just about anything you want... as long as it's in good taste... wink Of course, no dirty dishes in the sink, and things like that..... Nobody likes "dirty" pics... laugh

Lots of shots.... even those from the post office sound like a winner... eek

Wolf (Who would like to see how others visualize Spain.)

#61043 - 11/15/01 03:43 PM Re: Shoot it...
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Anchovy Front wants: "a designated spot on this site where we could post photos of anything interesting to do with Spain (with the occasional naked lady thrown in, of course)"
This is too chauvinistic - think of how the persons of the female persuasion will view your proposal; and
Serious photographers don't just 'throw in' naked ladies - they build an aura around the unclad female figure and make it the central point of the photo. rolleyes
BTW
I haven't taken my digital camera to Spain yet, maybe in February. cool

#61044 - 11/15/01 04:34 PM Re: Shoot it...
Wolf Offline

Eddie,

I understand what you're saying, the same effect would be gained by using links from a specific page within the MadridMan site since the photos themselves wouldn't reside on the front page anyway. It's really not any different than it would be if the pics were housed on site with MadridMan, since he'd have to squirrel them away on pages of his own. Why not having the members "share" the involvement by furnishing their own pages which are free instead of MadridMan paying for them? If the pics are tasteful, what would be wrong with that approach? Heck, you're already posting pics and your link to them was fantastic. What more could we ask then a plathera of interesting pics from Spain, that we could peruse any time we wanted?

Rest assured, Anchovy was joking about the naked ladies. I'd laugh the same if it was one of our ladies saying they wanted to post pics of Antonio Banderas or myself in a speed-o.... I don't think Antonio could handle the humiliation... laugh

Wolf (Who isn't certain speedo-o's come in his size... rolleyes )

#61045 - 11/15/01 07:14 PM Re: Shoot it...
zero262quick Offline

Loc: Eastern Shore of Maryland
Have any of you ever tried browsing through the pics at multimadrid.com?? Not to take away from this site, though, it's wonderful. I haven't seen anything yet to match these two sites.

There are thousands (??) of pics on there of Madrid, maybe you could team up with each other on a photos page. If you examing the site closely, you can email the pics you may have and they may get put up on the site. There are photos on there of things from the Plaza to laundromats to the sheep(s). Jer will even take photos for you of anything you want for a fee.

The problem with the free sites is that they only give you 5 MB or so of space, so you wouldn't be able to fit many pics.

But, as someone suggested before, members of the forum could upload their photos themselves and link to them.
I would much prefer the thumbnail method on the main site, though, as it is the most reliable and easy to use method.

Just some suggestions.

Ben
pbchamp@intercom.net
I think there is a world market for maybe five computers.
- Thomas Watson (1874-1956), Chairman of IBM, 1943

"The more I meet new people, the more I like my dog."

Be happy while you're living, for you're a long time dead.
- Scottish Proverb

#61046 - 11/17/01 10:25 AM Re: Shoot it...
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
"Antonio Banderas or myself in a speed-o...." to quote Wolf -now there's an idea rolleyes

Preface with I know nada about digitial cameras and web site links - but the free space, albeit limited, and links to MM site makes a lot of sense. Perhaps under a forum designated as Pictures - or "eat your hearts out those of you not here!" wink

#61047 - 11/27/01 02:47 PM Re: Shoot it...
churrocaliente Offline

Loc: Miami Beach, FL
Gentlemen, please! It is universally known that the key to all sensuality is subtelty!

Allright, moving on to a more technical issue ... If any of you have access to adobe photoshop (I think version 5.0 and higher), you can create an automated web gallery with thumbnails, pages and links .. lickety-split, in a just a few minutes. Then ftp this to some freebie host somewhere, and you're good to go.

But you still need to shoot at a lower resolution so as to not exceed your MB limit. Anchovy Front, you can set up your digital camera to shoot at the lowest resolution, which for most recent model cameras is way more than you need for internet use.

The other key is judicious editing: does everyone really want to see ALL of your photos? (Speedo not withstanding?) When you have to scan your photos, you end up doing that anyway, just out of laziness.

Wolf, who wants Antonio Banderas when we can get an eyeful of our handsome host every day? wink

churrito

http://beachwriter.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments