Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#6087 - 09/29/03 01:07 PM "Hostales" in BCN/MAD/SEV?
soma Offline

I've been researching places to stay for my trip to Barcelona/Madrid/Sevilla in November. I'm a hostal-goer but I'm also very picky about where I stay. First off, I have a REALLY hard time staying somewhere sight unseen. I've got to have pictures. A place has to have at least a touch of charm. I haven't failed to find such places yet on my trips but Spain is testing me so far. It seems that the internet hasn't quite caught on in a big way with hostals there and it's very difficult to get photos and decent info on places. Thanks, MadridMan for the links! However, 90% of these places look like dumps. But all that aside here is what I've found and the advice I still need.

Barcelona:
1. Hostal Opera gets all the good reviews. But there is no web site and no photos. Has anyone stayed at Hostal Opera? Is it as good as they say? What about the "sterile" look...is it that bland? Is there an email address.

2. While Madrid has no great apartments, it seems to have great hostals. Barcelona seems to be the opposite...great, plentiful apartments and few hostals that are above the level of dorm rooms. HELP! Where are the 40-50 euro hostals in Barcelona with charm? Is it possible? MadridMan, on your hostal page for Barcelona , you show a big picture of a white bed. What hostal is this because it looks nice but I can't find it in your links?

Madrid:
1. I've come down to a few choices: Hostal Bianco II , the nice 50 euro apartment on MadridMan\'s apartment page and Hostal TIJCAL II . Bianco is a great price but I can't find anything about it.

I'm not trying to sound like a snob. I know the trade-offs of hostalling but I just want to avoid the nightmare stories I keep hearing about Spainish hostals. Please help if you can. eek

#6088 - 09/29/03 07:12 PM Re: "Hostales" in BCN/MAD/SEV?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi soma!
As you say, hostels (called "hostales" in Spanish and "hostals" in Catalán) can be hit-or-miss but in general they are quite clean, simply furnished (if at all), sometimes they have bathrooms (more and more do as is the trend) but maybe not. Generally speaking, the cheaper it is, the lower the quality but this isn't always the case either.

It's a tough life as a picky traveler. I more-often try to just deal with it as long as the showers aren't cold, the doors lock, and the neighbors aren't too noisy.

Haven't heard of Hostal Opera in Barcelona. Have you searched this fora yet using BARCELONA OPERA as your keywords? Might turn up something not likely.

And Madrid has no great apartments? Are you sure about this? I didn't realise it. Seems to me that Madrid has a growing number of apartments online - probably even more than Barcelona but I could be mistaken too as I haven't researched them for BCN (yet).

I think you can put your mind at ease. I've stayed in about a dozen hostels in Spain and I'd say every one of them was clean, basic, some quite homey, and a good value.

Anyone else have comments/suggestions? Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#6089 - 09/29/03 07:28 PM Re: "Hostales" in BCN/MAD/SEV?
soma Offline

Thanks for the fast response.

I'm starting to narrow things down a bit, I think.

In Sevilla, I'm booked and ready to go at Hostal Museo . In Madrid, I have it narrowed down to Hostal Tijcal II , Hostal Bianco II or Hostal Plaza D\'Ort . Can you comment on your opinion/experiences with these places? Tijcal seems very nice but is 10 euro more than Bianco. Is that price worth it? Meanwhile D'ort offers ADSL but has no pictures of it's regular double rooms online so who knows what I'd get.

In Barcelona, I found a place called Hostal Central Barcelona ( www.hostalcentralbarcelona.com ) but I still waiting for a reply. Could you fill me in on what hostal is in the picture you have on your Barcelona Hostal page with th big white bed?

About the apartments, I only meant that they were harder to find (not as advertised). Only your page led me to any good links, whereas Barcelona seems to flaunt 100's of them on web and they come up easily in google searches.

Gracias,
Soma

#6090 - 09/29/03 08:12 PM Re: "Hostales" in BCN/MAD/SEV?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Sorry. I forgot to comment on the photo of the room on the Barcelona Hostels by MadridMan page. I purposely did not want to appear to endorse any particular hostel in Barcelona (the same with the Seville Hostels page) by using one of their photos so I took one from another hostel in Spain.

Regarding the websites for apartments in Barcelona, aren't most of those part of reservation services and not individual websites of individual apartments? Just curious.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#6091 - 10/02/03 07:11 PM Re: "Hostales" in BCN/MAD/SEV?
that_girl Offline

Loc: San Francisco, CA
A friend of mine, who I trust for his taste, stayed at Hostal Opera in BCN one year and highly recommended it to me. However, I ended up sharing a very nice hotel room near La Pedrera for about the same price so I can't personally comment on the Hostal. I am most likely going to be in BCN in Nov for 2 nights and will probably consider the Opera or stay at the Gat Raval again.

#6092 - 10/03/03 08:29 AM Re: "Hostales" in BCN/MAD/SEV?
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
Soma,

I'm sorry that you have heard rumors about the bad state of hostels in Spain. I have been there 5 times, for 3-4 weeks at a time, and have never made advance reservations except for my first and last 2 nights of my trip. I have stayed at dozens of hotels and hostels sight unseen and have found 99% to be clean and well run. Maybe I have just been lucky, but even the least expensive hotels in the tiniest towns have had rooms that exceeded my expectations.

Spark

#6093 - 10/03/03 08:33 AM Re: "Hostales" in BCN/MAD/SEV?
Joel Villarini Offline

Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico
How can I make a reservation for Hostal Opera???

#6094 - 10/03/03 12:37 PM Re: "Hostales" in BCN/MAD/SEV?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hi Joel Villarini!
It seems the only way to make a reservation at Barcelona's Hostal Opera is to call them at 34-93-318-8201.

Good luck! Saludos, MadridMan

#6095 - 10/03/03 03:04 PM Re: "Hostales" in BCN/MAD/SEV?
Joel Villarini Offline

Loc: San Juan, Puerto Rico
Gracias Madridman,

I'll give 'em a call something this w/end.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments