Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#60798 - 09/20/01 05:16 PM A gift from San Francisco, CA for a woman who has been very helpful?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Danville, CA USA
Well, it looks like we will be on our way on Sunday. Even changed our flights so that we can go the entire way on US Airways and avoid all those extra stops en route.

It's been difficult changing an entire three week itinerary but with the help of a very simpática woman, Begoña Viñegra, who works at the Hotel Antigua Bodega Don Cosme Palacio in LaGuardia, we're just about done.

So the question: any ideas for a gift from San Francisco/the Bay area/the US as a token of our appreciation?? Or shall we just wait and buy candy, or wine, or flowers after we're there? Any and all suggestions will be cconsidered! Thanks!!

#60799 - 09/21/01 12:06 AM Re: A gift from San Francisco, CA for a woman who has been very helpful?
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Hi Carole:

I know we've talked about this before, but there are MANY things you can bring from the USA that aren't available in Spain. Something we began bringing to our friends a few years ago are scented candles (like Yankee Candles). They're made here & our friends really love the scents that they don't seem to have there. Also, if you'll be with younger guys there, you may want to bring tshirts or baseball caps from a US team- maybe the Yankees, everyone knows who they are...

Additionally, we usually bring some type of candy, cookie, or food that is distinctively American. This can range from real Vermont maple syrup to American flavored bubble gum. We even brought pancake mix one year & the biggest favorite of them all is most definitely peanut butter. (REAL American peanutbutter like Jif or Skippy-they have it over there, but it doesn't compare.)

I guess what you bring all depends of course on the age/sex of who you're looking to thank. The woman may like the candles/candies/ or even scented shower gels/lotions more than the candy. My friends father LOVES Gobstoppers (hard candies which change color as you suck on them...) I also do not know much about San Francisco, do you have anything that is genuinely San Franciscan? That's always appreciated too.

I hope I've been able to help. You may also want to do a search on the message board for 'gifts' to see if anything else comes up.

I'm glad you were able to rearrange your trip and you're still able to go to Spain. Have a great time and Buena Suerte!!

GranadaGirl

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: GranadaGirl ]

#60800 - 09/21/01 07:22 AM Re: A gift from San Francisco, CA for a woman who has been very helpful?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Don't forget to double check that your gift is truly Made in USA.. especially if it's clothing or accessories.

#60801 - 09/21/01 07:42 AM Re: A gift from San Francisco, CA for a woman who has been very helpful?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Toc toc! May I made some comments? smile

As you have described it, I believe that this woman is not going to expect any present, she will be surprised if you give them one, and she will apreciate it.

Anyway, any present you give her will be fine. I would not think on food ('cause this is more for people you know), not in clothes (we all know how a woman is regarding clothes, and you don't know how is she). Think of something uniquely american.

However, I have a suggestion with which you will for sure be fine: flowers! It is something any spanish woman would apreciate, and you don't need to know her and her likes.

Ahhhhhh, my loved America... I now remember those frozen wafles with xxx's aunt syrup. I bought there some cheap jeans, short trousers, t-shirts, novels,... I really miss that "insane" food, tex-mex food in Taco-Bell, that huge breakfast in Big Boy and those free refills in McDonadls. How about that incredible barbacue sauce and those slices of cheddar cheese?

At least we have in Madrid a shop called American Taste which has some of those items.

#60802 - 09/21/01 08:26 AM Re: A gift from San Francisco, CA for a woman who has been very helpful?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Carole,

Fernando is right. A nice bouquet of flowers always works. You can even add a nice box of Russell Stover candy, or something of that nature. I don't think I've seen it available in Spain.

Going beyond that, there's always Native American artwork, or symbolism, like dream catchers, made with real eagle feathers. But insure that whatever you buy in that area is authentic. Get the authenticity certificates with it.

We brought a friend of ours an authentic Sioux peace pipe, which hangs proudly on their wall, with a dream catcher on either side of it.

Another thing that we have found people to be receptive about has been things like items from the Dr. Tom Clark collection, from Cairn Studios, which are gnomes. They have a degree of uniqueness.

As an example, we bought one named "Ben" for a dear friend in Madrid years ago, and were fortunate enough to meet Dr. Clark the same day, and had him autograph the piece, and write an informal note to our friend, welcoming her as a collector. The piece itself is now worth $600 unsigned, and over $1,500 signed. Adding the small note adds to the value, and one collector/expert, suggested she should carry a minimum of $2,000 insurance on the piece, and document. It's irreplaceable. It's one of those gifts, often bought for less than $30, that continues to rise in value, and tells people that we took enough time to offer something that is truly Americana to them. Here's a link to a few pics and prices, but most really nice Hallmark stores, and similar, carry the Clark collections. It's not a bit expensive, the sculptures aren't overly delicate, and they travel well. We spent less than $35 on this particular gnome. http://www.davolls.com/collectorscorner/tcgnomes.html

Wolf

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: Wolfgang81 ]

#60803 - 09/21/01 09:22 AM Re: A gift from San Francisco, CA for a woman who has been very helpful?
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Carole - I am so glad things finally worked out for you! Planning for this long-awaited vacation and return to Spain has been difficult for you both. I know my suggestion is going to be a nuisance to tote on the flight - but having lived in The City for four wonderful years - what about a copy of
Above San Francisco - superb photos and a wonderful view of your city while you enjoy your new friend's city.
Have a fantastic holiday - we all look forward to hearing about it!

#60804 - 09/21/01 11:20 AM Re: A gift from San Francisco, CA for a woman who has been very helpful?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

Thanks, friends. Lots of good ideas there.

Jelly Bellies (candy in every flavor imaginable) come from our area. I've taken them to the Dominican Republic and folks found them "muy interesante." Of course, if Begoña is an older woman, she may not find them appealing. See's candy. San Francisco soaps...is that rude? Perhaps I'll take a couple things. And, as Fernando pointed out, what woman does not love flowers??

I just did the search on "gifts." Sounds like chocolate is out. San Francisco sourdough bread could work--wouldn't be quite as fresh as I'd like after a day's trip. Back to flowers!!

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: Carole Chiaro ]

#60805 - 09/21/01 01:58 PM Re: A gift from San Francisco, CA for a woman who has been very helpful?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
By the way (and just to point it out) candies and chocalate is also any woman can't resist wink

And soaps are not rude! Specially if there are those chic ones which smell like fruits. She will apreciate it too (I guess).

Anyway, I keep on telling you that she will not expect it and she will be very glad and thankful.

Fernando

#60806 - 09/21/01 03:52 PM Re: A gift from San Francisco, CA for a woman who has been very helpful?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

I looked at those San Francisco soaps and bath products. They're made in Canada!! (No offense to you Canadians out there.)

A box of Jelly Belly (20 flavors) will have to do...unless I come up with something else.

#60807 - 09/21/01 07:44 PM Re: A gift from San Francisco, CA for a woman who has been very helpful?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
How about something related to your wonderful redwoods? They're famous. There was a thread from someone who had been a part of a school group that planted some as a gift to Segovia.

#60808 - 09/22/01 06:54 AM Re: A gift from San Francisco, CA for a woman who has been very helpful?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
The last time I visited San Francisco I brought back:
Place mats with San Francisco scenes; and
Key rings with miniature Cable Cars.
I think either would be appreciated.

I didn't know you were going to LaGuardia. If that's the LaGuardia in Pontevedra, it's where my (wife's) cousin lives, in Rosal.
Be sure to visit Monte Santa Tecla with its 4th Century B.C. Celtic village and a very impressive Via Crucis. And the wine (Rosal & Albariño) is my pick for finest in Spain. Last year, at the festival de Primavera in el Puerto de Santa Maria (Cadiz) they had a concurso de vinos finos - the 'denominación de origen' of Pontevedra fared very well.

Manuel de Fraga y Iribarne, Presidente de la Xunta de Galicia was there to defend them.

rolleyes

#60809 - 09/22/01 09:20 PM Re: A gift from San Francisco, CA for a woman who has been very helpful?
Carole Chiaro Offline
Executive Member

It's the LaGuardia, near Haro, in La Rioja. Still, lots of good wines, I've heard. We leave tomorrow--very early. Further details upon our return!!

#60810 - 09/23/01 06:49 PM Re: A gift from San Francisco, CA for a woman who has been very helpful?
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Carole, See's candies is definitely a hit, and also Macadamia nuts, even though they are from Hawaii, my in=laws love them, found them peculiar at first, but then ate them up in two days!!!! Also, Juniper Breeze bath products from Bath and Body Works, It is on every single gift list for all the ladies in my Madrilena family! Also mentioned is a book with photos of the Bay Area, very nice!!!!Have fun shopping!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments