Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#6077 - 01/12/05 12:10 PM Madrid: permanent move-apartment search
princessbecca Offline

Loc: arkansas, but not for long
I am moving to Madrid in 8 months and will be working for an American company in Pozuelo de Alarcon (right outside Madrid). I have no idea about the apartment situation in Madrid or Pozuelo, and I need some advice. I have a three year contract, and will probably recommit after that, so I want something permanent, but all I can find online is tourist stuff. Help!!! I will take a prep trip in April or May to look at apartments, but I would really like to know what I am looking for before then. All I know is that I want 1-2 bedrooms and pets allowed. Thanks for your help!

#6078 - 01/12/05 12:38 PM Re: Madrid: permanent move-apartment search
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Hi,
Good luck with your move. Will you be travelling by car to work? I know the traffic at rush-hour can be horrendous (same as most places I suppose) but if you are on the west of Madrid to start with you may avoid the worst as you will be going against the flow. If possible it may be worth asking work colleagues about the ins/outs of living in Madrid. As far as I remember Pozuelo has very good transport links with Madrid (buses and trains) so you won't be stranded if you decide to live there.
Another possibility is to live further out (closer to the hills) if you have transport. Then you'll really get to know Spain!

By the way, are you in a position to let people know which firm you will be working for? I know there's lots of posters here who would love the opportunity to work in Madrid and would like to know specific companies to approach...Errm maybe it would be a bad idea as your new company may resent getting pestered with countless CVs!!! :p

#6079 - 01/12/05 02:43 PM Re: Madrid: permanent move-apartment search
lngarrison Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
I have the opposite situation! I've got a place to live in Madrid but not job, so if you feel inclined to post at least what you do so we'd get a feel of what jobs are available in Spain, that would be great. So far, the only other post has been a chiropractor who found a job in Spain.

(BTW, once you get to Spain, depending on how well your Spanish is, you won't have a hard time finding an apartment and depending on what part of town you want to live. Madrid is HUGE!)

Good luck!

#6080 - 01/12/05 05:18 PM Re: Madrid: permanent move-apartment search
ninas Offline

Loc: Boston,Massachusetts U.S.A
Ingarrison you are in luck! Madridman posted not too long ago a thread about a women who needed someone to work in a hostel of some sort.... I am not sure what the work pertained to but it was in Madrid....If you search a little more on this forum, you might just find yourself a job!!!!! wink

#6081 - 01/13/05 12:01 PM Re: Madrid: permanent move-apartment search
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
The most popular classified advertisements newspaper in Madrid and surroundings is Segunda Mano. It has a Website, but it is only in Spanish. This is their real estate-site: http://inmobiliaria.segundamano.es/seccion.cfm?categoria_id=69

Hope it helps.

#6082 - 01/18/05 02:22 PM Re: Madrid: permanent move-apartment search
princessbecca Offline

Loc: arkansas, but not for long
thanks for the replies. i work for young life, a christian youth organization, and i will be starting youth clubs at the international schools in pozuelo. unfortunately the hiring process is a bit lengthy, so it wouldn't be any kind of immediate job. you can look at job opportunities on the website, though, at www.younglife.org. my cooworkers live in pozuelo, and have a big chalet there. they are older, though, and not really interested in the madrid life. i am taking a prep trip in march to look at apartments, so i think that will help with my decision.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 808 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments