Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#60720 - 09/06/01 09:32 AM Re: 2 things i noticed that europe needs to jump on.
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
I think it's a useful exercise to compare the good and bad of different regions, or just the cultural differences. This could be a fascinating thread, but I really feel that we've exhausted the argument on free refills, and slurpees. Does it really matter? (Who wants to drink so much fizzy, sugary water anyway??)
As a person who has lived in both the US and Spain, I realize that there are of course important cultural differences. There are things I like about the US, and things I don't like too. The same could be said for Spain. Having lived in Madrid for 11 years there are many things I find infuriating (don't get me started). One thing I have noticed is that Spanish people (and obviously I'm generalising here – we have to if we're comparing two cultures, so I think that if you want to participate in a debate such as this you should take generalising for granted and not be offended and take it personal), anyway Spanish people very often go on the defensive if you make even the smallest critical comment on anything about their country. I suspect I know why, but won't go into that now. US citizens are similarly inclined to reject criticism against any aspect of their country as a critique of their country as a whole. I'm saying all this so nobody will be offended by observations on the odd apect of their country.
I'll stop rambling now and just add that free refills tempting as they may be, are no substitute for the 6 weeks paid holidays (plus another 15 public holidays) I have every year. Most of my American friends, who have considerably less vacation time, envy me.

#60721 - 09/06/01 02:39 PM Re: 2 things i noticed that europe needs to jump on.
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Jaime - Terrfic comments! If we want all of what (and based on this thread ALL is the key word) of what is available in the US - stay put in the US. If free sodas are a moot point in your scheme of things - than hop on the first flight to where you want to go! My money's on the travel - and all the glorious differences in cultures!

#60722 - 09/06/01 08:26 PM Re: 2 things i noticed that europe needs to jump on.
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I want fizzy sugar water...and Ignacio, give me La Casera until it comes out of my pores!!! eek ¡¡¡¡Me encanta!!!!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments