Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#60710 - 08/28/01 07:53 AM Re: 2 things i noticed that europe needs to jump on.
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
In some american-style restaurants here in Madrid there are free refills, one of them is Foster's Hollywood (which is a franchise).

I adore those free refills smile

#60711 - 08/28/01 02:21 PM Re: 2 things i noticed that europe needs to jump on.
jer Offline

Loc: madrid, spain... the plaza may...
Hey Fernando, jer here.

I live here in Madrid and funny thing is that I am from the U.S.A. and never saw Foster's Hollywood until I arrived in Spain confused

Saludos,
jer...

#60712 - 08/29/01 06:02 PM Re: 2 things i noticed that europe needs to jump on.
roses Offline

Loc: Beverly Hills, CA
i live in the united states, too ... and i have never seen or heard of a place called foster's hollywood. i live in los angeles and work in beverly hills (10 mins. from hollywood), and i have never heard of this place. it doesn't come from hollywood... i can tell you that. (-:

roses.

#60713 - 08/29/01 07:45 PM Re: 2 things i noticed that europe needs to jump on.
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Did I say it was an american restaurant? smile

Actually it is an spanish franchise of restaurants which have american food (or so they say). Here is the web: http://www.fostershollywood.es/

Keep in mind that it has almost all its restaurants in Madrid, with some scattered around Spain.

It is one of my favourite restaurants I will say.

#60714 - 08/31/01 10:55 AM Re: 2 things i noticed that europe needs to jump on.
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Someone please help me. I can't figure out why I would want a 64 oz. "Bladder Buster" refill mug in Spain, since it would undoubtedly be filled with warm, flat soda. I can't even figure out why I would want even a single refill on the warm Tab cola (everyone knows they still serve that in Europe) that's served.

Hey, the last time I went to 7-11 in Madrid they didn't even have Slurpees. I'm not expecting miracles here...

As for the doorknob thing. If you go to the other side of the door it's a pull-door. laugh

CaliBasco [Who had to call the front desk for assistance one morning at the Carlos V Hotel since the front door was a "push" door] :p

#60715 - 08/31/01 02:30 PM Re: 2 things i noticed that europe needs to jump on.
Jaime Offline

I'm glad the refill thing hasn't caught on in Spain. I'm the typical American glutton and if somebody handed me 2L of diet coke in a promotional movie cup with ice I'd probably drink the whole thing just because. I drank half the coke in Spain than I would here and I enjoyed it twice as much.

I'm going to go off the track here for a second to tell a somewhat relevant short story...in one of my college classes last year a student was talking about one of his study abroad experiences in Japan to illustrate a point about culture. Apparently, in Japan the coke machines have three different sizes with the largest being close to a 2L...the catch is they are all the same price. The student was hanging out with his Japanese friends and they went to buy a coke from the machine. The three Japanese bought the smallest size and the American student the gigantic one. When he asked the Japanese student why he hadn't gotten the largest size since they were all the same price, he said to him...I'm just not that thirsty. I thought this was funny because here in the states we are always trying to get the highest value and quantity for our buck even if what we're getting is in excess of our needs. Does anyone hear supersize???
I'm as guilty of this as the next person but it is true.

As I was waiting at Newark to take off for Spain I had a few minutes to stop and have a smoke outside. A 350+ pound guy in a caddy drinking a supergulp stopped his car in front of us. I thought to myself then I was definitely ready for a visit to Spain.

#60716 - 09/04/01 11:10 AM Re: 2 things i noticed that europe needs to jump on.
SusiLaGallega Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just saw this post and had to make a comment regarding waiting times at fast-food restarants... I agree with you, roses!!! Waiting times at places like Burger King and McDonald's are crazy!!! I noticed that everywhere in Spain, these "fast-food" restaurants were always jam-packed and really slow, so for those of us who want a nice fountain Nestea or Pepsi, you've got to pull up a chair and wait - by the time you get it, you might have had a full meal at a regular sit-down restaurant!!! HMPH! eek

#60717 - 09/05/01 04:34 AM Re: 2 things i noticed that europe needs to jump on.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh my god! We don't even have ... Slurpees? laugh

Of course, if we want to be first world we have to consume every N Am. beverage. :p

Terrible delay. Do you have Cacaolat there? Or La Casera? or Fanta? or Kas? Don't even have those? rolleyes laugh

Ignacio

#60718 - 09/05/01 08:25 PM Re: 2 things i noticed that europe needs to jump on.
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Great post, Ignacio. I, for one, would be thrilled if every Slurpee machine was replaced with Fanta Naranja or rich, creamy chocolate. laugh

#60719 - 09/06/01 02:28 AM Re: 2 things i noticed that europe needs to jump on.
Miguelito Offline

I think the quality of CocaCola 20 cl bottle is much better than Cocacola fountain pop. At least they taste so different they don't look the same drink. If I could choose between a bar with free refill or a bar with 20 cl bottle or can, I would choose this last one. I think lot of people thinks like me here, so that can be a reason why it's not so extended.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments