Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#60700 - 08/25/01 07:46 PM Re: 2 things i noticed that europe needs to jump on.
Tia Offline

Apropos of walking to the counter to pay la cuenta (I also like the habit and want to do like madrileņos do): Sometimes it seems to be OK to do it, but not everywhere. In a first-class restaurant I wouldnīt even dream of it, of course eek. Even if itīs obvious that Iīm a tourist (and the locals donīt expect me to know "the social codes")I donīt want to behave like a lout, but how do I know?

#60701 - 08/26/01 10:03 AM Re: 2 things i noticed that europe needs to jump on.
mecky Offline

Loc: US
I ve just about cried reading about not getting refills for free and then the doors wow! Give us lots of food and lots of drink and we are a happy nation. Look at the people in the US with all the free refills.O lets not forget to make everything in Europe just like it is here in the US. Maybe if all will learn to speak english that would be even better too. Well I need an european infusion soon. Less food but quality!!!

#60702 - 08/26/01 10:47 AM Re: 2 things i noticed that europe needs to jump on.
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Zzeuss11, mecky,

Nobody is "upset" about prices or no refills. This is a "tongue-in-cheek" discussion, not people wanting to change Spain. We're just having fun. Isn't that what it's all about? laugh

Wolf (Who loses his sense of humor when his underwear is too tight. eek )

#60703 - 08/27/01 02:03 PM Re: 2 things i noticed that europe needs to jump on.
roses Offline

Loc: Beverly Hills, CA
Okay. I have to agree with the thing about the refills. Fountain drinks are so riduculousy cheap. They are even given away for free in the States with an order of any fast food meal.

And speaking of fast food, McDonalds has to come up to speed. I have never waiting as long as I did at the McDonalds on Gran Via and Callao. Man, I tell you, 45 minutes just for a six pack of Chicken McNuggets. And McDonald's should know better, since they are an American company.

What's the world coming to? smile -roses

[ 08-27-2001: Message edited by: roses ]

#60704 - 08/27/01 05:28 PM Re: 2 things i noticed that europe needs to jump on.
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
Well I don't hear any complaints about the almost free bottle of wine you get in Spain w/the menu del dia.I loved the places where 2 of us ate and we each got one of those squarish flasks of vino tinto plunked down in front of us.I think we should get the good ole USA to do that! Is fountain soda really dirt cheap in Spain? Maybe not.

#60705 - 08/27/01 07:07 PM Re: 2 things i noticed that europe needs to jump on.
roses Offline

Loc: Beverly Hills, CA
yes, it is dirt cheap. check the prices in spain on a fountain coke and then check the prices on coke in a glass bottle. this should answer your question. restaurants prefer to sell bottles of coke, because they can charge 225 pts. per coke bottle. but the reality of it is, these restaurants buy the syrup at a very low price from Coke or whoever, and with seltzer water they make the fountain drinks. and for mcdonalds', they purchase their products from their corporate headquarters and all francishes pay roughly the same. mcdonalds' corporate works out the rates with the cokes and pepsis of this world and sells it to all of their franchishes for roughly the same price. i hope this answers your question on "if fountain soda is really cheap."

also, i'm not a big believer on alcohol, nor do i drink it, so the almost free bottle of vino, well, i'd choose a free refill on a coke any day, and i think former alcoholics would do the same.

roses

[ 08-27-2001: Message edited by: roses ]

#60706 - 08/27/01 08:33 PM Re: 2 things i noticed that europe needs to jump on.
Zzeus11 Offline

Hey Wolfgang et al ,

'The tongue-in cheek' with me is that I am european!

#60707 - 08/27/01 09:09 PM Re: 2 things i noticed that europe needs to jump on.
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Zzeuss11,

Actually I'm European too. Just two generations removed. smile I'm very proud of my European heritage. Please don't get the impression we're attacking Spain, or any other part of Europe in what we say. We're just making observations.

Wolf (Whose underwear has a hole in back for his tail. wink )

[ 08-27-2001: Message edited by: Wolfgang81 ]

#60708 - 08/28/01 03:28 AM Re: 2 things i noticed that europe needs to jump on.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think it is OK if they give you a free refill in the States. I wish they did it here too, but, as Wolf says, you or other clients are paying for it.

Anyway, as some members said, here some other things are free. It depends of each countries and each people's costumes. I don't think there is any need that they give a free refill, no matter how cheap it may be for them.

It is the same as in supermarkets: In Spain, in nearly all they give you a free plastic bag, but in the hard discount ones like Dia, they charge you 5 ptas./a bag. Again, if they give it free to you is better, but it doesn't mean that not giving it to you is bad, for in Dia you get much better overall prices.

There was a thread where LaMaestra said some days ago that in Spain tourist offices and spanish firms in USA and embassies give you free posters on Spain. What would you think if somebody complained that in the USA they don't?

Just a matter of promotioning and of what people in each country thinks should be free.

[ 08-28-2001: Message edited by: Ignacio ]

#60709 - 08/28/01 05:23 AM Re: 2 things i noticed that europe needs to jump on.
jer Offline

Loc: madrid, spain... the plaza may...
Went to IKEA in San Sebastián de los Reyes (Madrid) yesterday to pick up a new desk chair and had lunch there (my Spanish girlfriend loves the Swedish stuff they serve). SURPRISE, THEY HAVE UNLIMITED FREE SOFT DRINK REFILLS laugh

I even filled up my Coke one last time before leaving the cafeteria and heading into the store.

Saludos,
jer...

p.d. Now if only the rest of Spain would follow the example.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments