Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6065 - 05/26/05 06:56 PM Galicia/Rias Bajas Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can anyone suggest some place romantic to stay for 2-4 days (during the August 12-14 weekend) where I can take my wife? We're visiting family in Ourense in August(and leaving the kids with the in-laws)? It doesn't have to be too elaborate but it has to be relatively clean. I would be interested in knowing about suggestions at all price levels.

RP

#6066 - 05/26/05 07:09 PM Re: Galicia/Rias Bajas Suggestions
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
go to Santiago de Compostela...it is such a beautiful city and filled with atmosphere! you will not be disappointed!

#6067 - 05/27/05 12:30 PM Re: Galicia/Rias Bajas Suggestions
SFY Offline

Loc: Filadelfia
The Parador at Baiona is lovely, though a bit pricey. It's a bit of a drive from Ourense, so you might want to check out the other Paradors as well.

#6068 - 05/30/05 02:20 PM Re: Galicia/Rias Bajas Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks. We did the Baiona Parador last year. Santiago is a little too far inland for what I was thinking (and we've done that in years past).

I was hoping to get some advice on something special that someone knows about but is not usually known to the average tourist. Something rural but still within reach by car to the city centers would be okay, especially if it was on the coast. The Hesperia de la Isla de La Toja was something I was looking at but it may be a little overpriced considering the weak dollar.

RP

#6069 - 05/30/05 06:04 PM Re: Galicia/Rias Bajas Suggestions
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Where exactly are you going to be in Ourense, by the way? You say Santiago is a little too inland, but Ourense is the only province in Galicia that doesn't have a coast, so you're going to be more inland than any of the places that have been mentioned! wink Plus, inland there are a lot of beautiful and little known places to check out. There are tons of pazos which have been turned into small hotels.

But if you're looking for something along the Rías Baixas you can always try the Monasterio de Poio (Pontevedra), which is simple but historic. It's right next one of the prettiest coastal villages in Galicia called Combarro. It's also not far from the Gran Hotel de La Toja, which is wonderfulb turn-of-the-century hotel, but it is a 5-star hotel. The dollar is weak, but thanks to the French rejection of the European constitution, it may not be like that for long! Also nearby is the Parador de Cambados, which is very pretty, and the town is one of the epicenters of Albariño wine.

#6070 - 05/30/05 06:16 PM Re: Galicia/Rias Bajas Suggestions
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

One more thing: I started thinking about your dates and just realized something very important. That weekend you're mentioning just may be the worst weekend in the whole year to head in the direction of the Rías Baixas. The Rías Baixas are Galicia's most crowded and touristic coast and in August the numbers swell into God-awful numbers. The roads are not very big and traffic can be horrific. I'm speaking from firsthand knowledge, trust me.

On top of that, it's going to be a long weekend because Monday the 15th is a national holiday, so the area will be especially active. I'm just letting you know in case you and your wife were looking for something a little quieter. It will also mean you should book hotels well in advance.

If you tell me where you'll be, I see if I think of some alternatives.

#6071 - 05/31/05 02:49 PM Re: Galicia/Rias Bajas Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for your reply. Maybe I should clarify. We will do our yearly visit to Ourense(the city, not the province) where we would like to get away from for 2-4 days while the in-laws take care of the little ones. That's why the coast seemed appealing.

Yes, I know the 12-14 August weekend is a holiday weekend, but it is the only weekend we have. Actually, because of that, it will be more convenient for the in-law babysitting to take place.

The Parador is an option, but probably one of the last options. I was thinking of one of the pazos that you mentioned.

Does anyone know of the Pazo de Santa Tecla near La Guardia. I can't seem to find any photos of it other than an exterior shot. I will check out the one place that you mentioned above. But if there are any pazos that are special, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

RP

#6072 - 05/31/05 07:12 PM Re: Galicia/Rias Bajas Suggestions
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

I see what you're saying. I don't know the pazo you've mentioned, but I can think of one that's not far from Ourense. It's called the Pazo de Bendoiro (www.pazodebendoiro.com) in a town called Lalín, about 50 kilometers from Ourense on the main road to Santiago. Lalín doesn't have a lot to offer the tourist (I hope my wife's family isn't reading this!) but the pazo is really pretty and you can also go and visit the gardens of the Pazo de Oca (not a hotel, by the way, but one of the nicest pazos in Galicia). There's also another town called Agolada which has its own authentic medieval market which comes to life once a year...I think around those dates too, but I'd have to check. Halfway between Ourense and Lalín, you can visit the monastery of Oseira known as the the "El Escorial of Galicia". So, there are some nice things to visit, but it's just plain pretty countryside and very relaxing.

If you're looking for something completely different and a little farther away, you can always try Ribadeo up on the northern coast of Galicia near the border of Asturias. Beautiful town and great beaches too. A lot less crowded. I always mention this place to people and you'd think I was making a commision, but it's just one of those places people don't know but should.

Heading south, you could try someplace like Tui. I've never been there, but have heard great things about it.

I just remembered another one. Ribadavia, near Ourense and home of Ribeiro wine. Not far from the town you can stay at a winery called Viña Mein.

#6073 - 05/31/05 09:58 PM Re: Galicia/Rias Bajas Suggestions
SalaChic Offline

Loc: Trumansburg, NY
We stayed in A Guarda about 6 years ago. We liked it alot. Our hotel was El Molino, nice but not flamboyant. http://www.galicia-suroeste.com/el_molino.htm But very nice location - just outside of the town, but a 4 minute drive.

#6074 - 06/01/05 02:23 PM Re: Galicia/Rias Bajas Suggestions
Anonymous
Unregistered

Murdy.

How recently have you stayed at the Monasterio de Poio? How rustic was it? Is the lodging actually in the monastery? I can't seem to find any pictures of it online.

RP

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments