Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#60646 - 08/08/01 06:21 AM Re: Oops...I may have given you a virus!
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Well, unregistered users can't get those automatic updates and manually updates are only issued weekly. At least I haven't been able to find daily updates for the virus definition files in their site.

I would check their packages, but after receiving two more copies of Sircam today for which ViruScan said nothing, I'm unpleasantly surprised. If an antivirus shows to be so ineffective against it, how come they expect me to register and pay for it?.

I wouldn't be so critic with ViruScan in the past since I've been using it for a long time, but this "incident" with many undetected copies of Sircam (about 20 so far) it's making me think it's not so good.

#60647 - 08/08/01 05:53 PM Re: Oops...I may have given you a virus!
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
lamaestra: I just did you one better: I just spent the last two days ridding our ENTIRE NETWORK of the sircam virus. That thing is nasty! Our problem wasn't our AV program (Norton), but that not everyone was updating their computers...so one shares, etc., etc. We got HAMMERED. If I catch up with the author of that in person, he (or she) will get a boot so far up his........... mad

#60648 - 08/08/01 06:28 PM Re: Oops...I may have given you a virus!
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
CaliBasco, IF you find the author of this Sircam monster I will provide you with a good pair of metal tipped cowboy boots with which to do the kicking! You have my deepest sympathies...it is an UGLY virus!!

#60649 - 08/08/01 10:51 PM Re: Oops...I may have given you a virus!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Antonio,

I believe I indicated I am a registered user, and pay my $24 a year, because it beats running the risk of being hacked, or having a virus invade my computer.

My question is.... Isn't it wise to spend less than 100 ptas a week for protection? Personally, I have too much data in my computer that I don't want to lose... therefore, I pay gladly, for all my computers.

Wolf (Whose computers keep on churning thanks to McAfee... laugh )

#60650 - 08/09/01 03:42 AM Re: Oops...I may have given you a virus!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wolf,

Aren't 24$ a year 400 ptas. a month? Anyway, I think it may be worth it ... as far as there in not sth. cheaper and better.

#60651 - 08/09/01 07:09 AM Re: Oops...I may have given you a virus!
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Ignacio,

Yes, about 400 ptas a month, which is also less than 100 ptas a week... laugh

I don't think you're going to find much that will compete with McAfee. As for price, I don't think saving 500 to 1000 ptas a year is an issue. All that counts is that my computer is constantly protected... at a fair price.

Of course, everyone has their own idea as to what they need, and how much they intend paying. I like daily updates. They make me feel comfortable.

Wolf

#60652 - 08/09/01 07:24 AM Re: Oops...I may have given you a virus!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wolf,

These days, it seems I read too fast. Oops.

#60653 - 08/09/01 10:05 AM Re: Oops...I may have given you a virus!
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
The McAfee sites I just checked give the membership price as $39.95 (reminds me of those old ads for painting cars...Wolf, you remember those, don't you?) More than the $24 you pay, Wolf, but if it does the job, a bargain at any price!

I just got an attachment message from someone I may well have infected myself and Norton hasn't said anything about it! Looks like what goes around comes around!

#60654 - 08/09/01 11:04 AM Re: Oops...I may have given you a virus!
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I'm running NAV, and what they have is "LiveUpdate" which at least downloads your definitions automatically. The patches available seem to work well, but are downloaded, not sent automatically. (They are free, though...) One program you should NOT buy, though, is Norton Anti-Freeze and Crash Guard. What a WASTE!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments