Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#60508 - 06/21/01 07:08 AM Re: Classified Ad Forum: Needed or Not?
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Hi Anchovy - I saw your advert in the ADULT RELAXATION category! wink wink eek

MM - I think it could be a good idea, and would probably become compelling reading even if I didn't need anything myself - just appeals to my nosey nature. I'm sure lots of people would find it very useful. smile smile

Jo-Anne

#60509 - 06/21/01 07:49 AM Re: Classified Ad Forum: Needed or Not?
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Boo! The link didn't work, but congratulations to you, Jo-Anne for working it out yourself. You do of course go to above mentioned link to Sur in English and then click on Personal and then Adult Relaxation...... But it doesn't seem funny now......although it had me rolling around when I posted it....sad really frown

#60510 - 06/21/01 08:52 AM Re: Classified Ad Forum: Needed or Not?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Anchovy,

You old war horse! I'm still trying to figure out which kinky ad in the personals is yours. laugh

I thought about an old TV show though. It would make a great ad.

"Have gun, will travel. Contact Wire Paladin at....." rolleyes

Wolf (Who's dazed and confused.)

#60511 - 08/17/01 10:24 AM Re: Classified Ad Forum: Needed or Not?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Okay. Okay. Today is the day... more "Classified" type messages are coming on nearly everday.

So what to name the NEW forum? How about simply "Classifieds/Personals"? This seems pretty all-encompassing, no? I'll add the new forum tonight and then start moving all previous/relative postings there.

Let's all keep in mind that this is intended to be a NON-commercial forum for flat-shares, looking-for-roommates, job-postings/hunting, get-togethers, furniture-for-sale kind of forum and not for services, business opportunities/SPAM, website advertisements, or the like. (I have a feeling this new forum will be the most difficult to moderate)

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#60512 - 08/18/01 06:06 AM Re: Classified Ad Forum: Needed or Not?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
There is already some advertising on these fora: Aerocity, for example. And the kind of 'scare' tactics (i.e., 'taxi ripoffs') to get people to avoid taxis and opt for that service. That's a type of advertising,
disguised as personal recommendation based on experience. eek

If you can get advertisers to use your 'non commercial' classified ad forum and keep out the people selling timeshares in Marbella, then go for it. cool

#60513 - 08/18/01 08:25 AM Re: Classified Ad Forum: Needed or Not?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hi Eddie! As I said, the new Classifieds/Personals forum is going to be the most difficult to moderate. I agree that sometimes people post things (you can usually see right through them) as personal experiences when they're really the owners of the service. I try to check suspicious IP addresses, but sometimes get no concrete results.

Re: Taxi-Rip OFFS, I guess I'll/we'll just have to use our best judgement if these kinds of postings are "announcements" or "safety/security" or "transportation"-related items. It's going to be tough for sure.

As for Aerocity, yes, they do advertise on MadridMan.com's transportation page and I realize it's probably more than a bit hypocritical to allow them to post information about their services on this message board when no one else can. However, a company such as aerocity, to me (since I've used them), provides SUCH a necessary and cheap alternative for transport to/from Madrid Barajas airport that I don't mind so much.

Notice though that they are never first posters, but rather answering questions people ask about their service. I've tried to make this point clear with them and they have been respectful with my wishes about no blatant advertising as we've all seen others trying.

I don't honestly think many people will be often checking this new Personals & Classifieds forum as it doesn't interest everyone, but if nothing else now we'll have a place to put these kinds of postings so that they don't "pad" the other relative, entertaining forums. Enjoy!! smile

Saludos, MadridMan

[ 08-18-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#60514 - 08/18/01 01:04 PM Re: Classified Ad Forum: Needed or Not?
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
MadridMan, Eddie,

Personally I have no problem with what Juan (Aerocity) posted. To those of us who have been reading these boards regularly, we know there are taxi drivers who are ripoff artists, and drool at the thought of getting an unsuspecting tourist into their cabs, so they can charge them an arm and a leg for the trip from Barajas to their destination in or around Madrid. Often two or three times what the price should have been.

If... in the process... Aerocity gets a little more business from amongst us, and if one more crooked taxi driver doesn't get a fare, that's good enough for me. I'm not about to get upset if Juan, Antonio, or any other contributing member of our group helps themselves a little bit, especially since they are doing so much to add to our understanding of Madrid.

Now, that doesn't mean I would allow someone to advertise a service, or anything that would be illegal, immoral, or actually be done in an attempt to draw people away from this site. That would be totally un-cool in my book, and I would boycott anyone who placed that type of ad.

Wolf (No jokes this time.)

#60515 - 08/19/01 03:15 AM Re: Classified Ad Forum: Needed or Not?
Eric Offline

Loc: Cambridge, MA USA
I thought I'd jump in here and say I like the idea.
"Classifieds... they aren't just for breakfast anymore".

#60516 - 08/19/01 01:03 PM Re: Classified Ad Forum: Needed or Not?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
I think it's great too. And we always have "general chatter" or other forums to express likes and dislikes that would end up serving to moderate some would-be ads.

#60517 - 08/19/01 04:16 PM Re: Classified Ad Forum: Needed or Not?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Thanks for your support and ideas everyone!!!! I really appreciate that. Afterall, as I'm ALWAYS saying rolleyes , this is YOUR message board more than it is mine. smile

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments