Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#60383 - 06/14/01 06:26 PM Re: U.S. President in Spain
JDR Offline

Loc: asturias
The reports and commentaries on TV and in major newspapers in Spain were very positive concerning the meetings between Bush & Aznar.
The Bush government was said to be in favor of admiting more of the former eastern block countries into NATO (contrary to what was mentioned above). And definitely wants to maintain it's naval base at Rota.
Demonstrations against the US over here seem to be a joke, mainly supported by leftists, America haters, & anarchists.
By the way, some Spanish friends tell me that Bush is descendent from British royalty!

#60384 - 06/14/01 07:47 PM Re: U.S. President in Spain
Castiza Offline

Loc: Madrid
Well, it's been a short visit (only one day). Bush isn't regarded with much sympathy by spaniards (consider our right wing party would be clearly left wing in the US and his vision on death penalty and lack of knowlegde of the "outside" world causes some controversy here). All newspapers and TVs joked about him calling President Aznar Mr. Ánsar.

#60385 - 06/14/01 11:13 PM Re: U.S. President in Spain
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
As for Bush being descended from British royalty, that's no big deal--I would venture to bet that nearly everyone on this board (on both sides of the Atlantic) is also!! We genealogists always joke about getting back to Charlemagne or to William the Conqueror, but in reality, given the number of offspring, the relatively high(er) standard of living, longer life expectancies, multiple spouses/liaisons, etc. that royalty enjoyed throughout history, it's not too farfetched to claim royal blood. Once you've connected to one of them, too, you're linked to all of Europe, because of the intermarriages of European royalty.

And once you realize that your number of direct ancestors DOUBLES with every generation back, and there are five or so generations in each century, most of us can link up with some royal line in England (and, for that matter, France, Spain, etc....) in the 1500s or earlier.

However, the royal tendency toward intermarriage and inbreeding might explain some of George W.'s oddities!! rolleyes
Tara

[ 06-14-2001: Message edited by: taravb ]

#60386 - 06/15/01 12:49 AM Re: U.S. President in Spain
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
MSNBC got in on the fun with this piece on Bush's visit to Spain:
http://www.msnbc.com/news/587066.asp?0dm=L21VN

And doesn't the menu for their lunch sound yummy?

Tara smile

#60387 - 06/15/01 10:44 AM Re: U.S. President in Spain
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Over the years we have had the privilege of hosting people in our home, from various countries throughout the world. Many of these people had very little if any true knowledge of how to speak English. But what impressed us most about all these people was the fact that they made an honest attempt to communicate with us in English, no matter how bad they spoke it.

We considered it an honor that they would even try.

Wolf smile

#60388 - 06/15/01 11:48 AM Re: U.S. President in Spain
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
My comments at a party the other night when someone made one of these snotty comments about the US:

Oh Spain is sooooo liberal. Pleeeease. I guess that's why Aznar cosied up to Bush and kissed his ass with this missile shield nonsense.

I guess that's why the 'liberal' PP has a complete majority in parliament.

Oh! You didn't vote for Aznar! Sorry to generalise! Well sir, I didn't vote for Bush and 51% of Americans didn't either. So I assume I have dispelled your silly stereotype now?

[ 06-15-2001: Message edited by: Asterault ]

#60389 - 06/15/01 05:08 PM Re: U.S. President in Spain
JDR Offline

Loc: asturias
Prior to retirement, I spent over 20 years working outside the US throughout the world. I found that showing an interest in the local culture as well as trying to communicate in the native language, no matter how poorly, was very well received by my hosts, even in France!
Those who criticize the President because of his inability to speak "perfect" spanish are far less intelligent than he is! I say at least give him a "B" for effort.

#60390 - 06/15/01 07:12 PM Re: U.S. President in Spain
Castiza Offline

Loc: Madrid
Well, I guess my post has been misunderstood, it wasn't meant to be snooty nor over-criticise Bush's spanish.
Of course, people don't expect Bush to speak perfect spanish, he spoke a few phrases and people appreciated that but when he called Aznar by other name (well, it's humorous to mistake your guest's name or to say a phrase that has a double meaning!). Maybe joke was not the more accurate word in English.

When I said that right wing in Spain would be left wing in the US, it was not a snooty attitute. What I meant is that in issues like death penalty, guns, Kioto protocol, social benefits, worker's unions and so on, even the Spanish right wing would more lefty than the democrats in the US. Maybe I'm wrong but the impression I have is that even discussing about death penalty and things like that is politically incorrect in Spain.

#60391 - 06/15/01 09:33 PM Re: U.S. President in Spain
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Interesting article. thanks for the link, taravb.

Far be it from me to criticize anyone for trying to speak a foreign language. We have all been there. I really stuck my foot in my mouth a few times during those first days of French and Spanish, and certainly will in German, I am sure... It would certainly be painful to have those blunders publicized to the entire world. ouch.

I will be interesting to see how Europeans come to view Bush with time, interesting to see how the rest of the U.S. residents will come to view him as well. It will take a lot of evidence though for me to be able to view him as someone deeply compassionate and gifted with a powerful intellect.

Once again, my humble opinion.

Nicole (who hates conflict, but can't seem to resist instigating it periodically)

-- see what you started Wolf!!) wink

[ 06-15-2001: Message edited by: Nicole ]

#60392 - 06/15/01 10:58 PM Re: U.S. President in Spain
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Nicole,

Me??

Wolf ( laugh )

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments