Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#60373 - 06/13/01 12:00 AM U.S. President in Spain
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
The President was in Spain today. All the news reports I've seen have been about U.S. and EU relations. I'm looking for some news about bi-lateral US-Spain relations and the effect the President's meeting with the King and the Spanish Government will have on them. Things like trade, diplomatic initiatives in Central and South America, the future of US military bases in Spain and military cooperation, cultural exchanges, etc. Anybody know of news sites that would have this? Thanks for your assitance.

#60374 - 06/13/01 05:13 AM Re: U.S. President in Spain
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
I read El Pais ( www.elpais.es ) which I like the best of all the Spanish dailies.

As for things in English, usually I read the Economist ( www.economist.com ) and CNN sometimes.

[ 06-13-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#60375 - 06/13/01 10:44 AM Re: U.S. President in Spain
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
The only report from CNN (owned by Ted "I Love Being Liberal" Turner) was regarding the capital punishment protestors in Madrid. The group looked like it was about 20-large and included mostly old people who looked bored, and perhaps paid to be there. Glaringly absent was any talk of why George W. was in Spain (other than "to visit with Jose María).

This has been hashed over on another thread, but the fact that Europe in general is so adamantly opposed to the death penalty amazes me. I'd be happy to allow those on death row to be saved from execution if their families would foot the bill for their lifelong languishing in Leavenworth. I'm glad McVeigh is gone, as I wasn't interested in paying for his cable bill, his three squares per day, or reading his memoirs penned in prison.

Perhaps the U.S. will eventually can the death penalty, but in the mean time, we'll just follow in the footsteps of our European ancestry and punish those who have committed "gross crimes against humanity" with the ultimate penalty.

CaliBasco (who doesn't like getting on his soapbox...so will step off now.)

#60376 - 06/13/01 11:13 AM Re: U.S. President in Spain
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
The coverage on Spanish television has been of similar high quality.

Of particular interest is how the Spanish qualify all Americans as the same (when 2 states account for most executions) while espousing how different Spain is (Cataluña, Pais Vasco, etc.) from region to region.

#60377 - 06/13/01 04:15 PM Re: U.S. President in Spain
Tia Offline

El País is my favourite, too. Some more suggestions: www.noticias.hispavista.com, www.elmundo.es (has an edicion de Madrid 24 horas) and www.latinews.com (both in Spanish and in English)

[ 06-13-2001: Message edited by: tiajohanna ]

#60378 - 06/14/01 01:18 AM Re: U.S. President in Spain
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I wonder if good ole Georgie Porgie even knew where Spain was before going to visit...wonder if he could point it out on a map after!

#60379 - 06/14/01 08:29 AM Re: U.S. President in Spain
SuePycroft Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I think we all know now why George was in Spain, in view of his proposals to scrap NATO this could lead to the withdrawal of American bases in Spain. According to today's reports from Sweden he is getting some stick from the rest of the Euro leaders regarding this. There are also demo's outside the offices where these talks are taking place. frown

#60380 - 06/14/01 08:55 AM Re: U.S. President in Spain
barry Offline

Loc: sóller, mallorca, spain
Bush insisted on calling President Aznar, Anzar. Having said that he did admittedly get through a few phrases in Spanish, so he gets one point for effort. I wonder when he'll manage to to the same in English.

#60381 - 06/14/01 09:46 AM Re: U.S. President in Spain
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
when did Pres. Bush II mention scrapping NATO? From all accounts, it seems NATO is going to expand again in the next few years (Baltics, Romania, Bulgaria & Slovenia being likely candidates). The way Aznar publicly warmed to the idea of cooperation on Missle Defense, I'd say US bases in Spain aren't going anywhere. Rota is very important to US Navy deployment in the Med., Red Sea and Persian Gulf, as well as supporting NATO deployments in the Balkans.(All of which Bush can probably find on a map!)

#60382 - 06/14/01 02:11 PM Re: U.S. President in Spain
LaProfesora Offline

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
Perhaps SuePycroft was referring to the scrapping of the ABM treaty, if the missile defense system is created.

But hey, he couldn't do much more to alienate the EU, considering his environmental "policy". rolleyes

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments