Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#60161 - 05/13/01 06:11 AM Neighborhoods in Madrid
SandraZ Offline

Loc: Madrid
Hello everyone. I've been visiting this sight for the last week or so, since finding out that my husband and I will be moving to Madrid this summer (for four years). He's Jordanian and I'm American. His job takes him to Madrid and I hope to find some part-time work once my Spanish improves. The question I have is: Where to look for apartments? We are interested in living in the city center or perhaps as far out as Salamanca (no further).
Ideally, we'd like to be walking distance to shops, cafes, museums,etc, but not in an extremely noisy area (not over any of the discos) Any advise? We'd be looking for a two bedroom and can afford up to 200,000 or 250,000 pesetas/month.

Thanks in advance!!

#60162 - 05/13/01 08:29 AM Re: Neighborhoods in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi SandraZ! Welcome to the group! laugh If you look down through this forum (I moved it here) you'll find a couple recent threads about "Neighborhoods of Madrid". Also, if do a SEARCH using the link above/right and use NEIGHBORHOOD MADRID as your keywords, searching all forums, you'll find MANY other related threads - many in the "Safety & Security" forum too.

As for "how to find an apartment", there are several threads on this topic in the "Hostels & Other Lodgings" forum. Good luck with you! I'm very envious!!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#60163 - 05/13/01 04:10 PM Re: Neighborhoods in Madrid
Nativo Offline

With that budget, you should be able find really nice apartments. Recommended areas could be the Salamanca and Retiro districts. Streets such as Lagasca or Claudio Coello , specially in the "lower number area".

Some areas in the Centro district are also to look at, streets such as Alfonso XII, Villanueva, Alfonso XI.

#60164 - 05/14/01 06:50 AM Re: Neighborhoods in Madrid
SandraZ Offline

Thanks MadridMan and Nativo! I've taken your advice MadridMan and found a lot more through searching your site. It's great! I'm getting very excited Madrid. I'm wondering what neighborhoods have the best "Old Madrid" charm? And, is it possible to find nice, perhaps renovated flats in these areas? I know I'm being difficult - I want Old World charm with some modern amenities - such as AC/ renovated kitchens and bathrooms. Is this possible in my price range (around 200,000 pts/mo) or should I adjust my expectations? Also, does Salamanca have any old world charm or is it suburban feeling? I'm sorry to ask so many questions, but I don't know anything about Madrid and I'm having trouble finding much here in Jordan.

Gracias!!

#60165 - 05/14/01 08:53 AM Re: Neighborhoods in Madrid
Nativo Offline

Be reassured, all those areas are, how can I put it?, extremely trendy areas of the city center. If you are not looking for a "big" apartment that price level "200.000 to 250.000 ptas" for a 2 bedroom flat should allow to get one of those flats we all dream about...

#60166 - 05/16/01 05:34 PM Re: Neighborhoods in Madrid
papi Offline

Loc: LONDRES!!!!
when ur settled can i move in for free

lol

#60167 - 05/17/01 12:46 PM Re: Neighborhoods in Madrid
Shimano Offline

I would suggest having a look at the Puerta de Hierro area. The new underground line that heads to Nuevos Ministerios and Avenida de América is just 5 min. away, and the surroundings are unbeliveable. smile

#60168 - 05/18/01 07:00 AM Re: Neighborhoods in Madrid
Asterault Offline

Loc: Gijón
Where is this area (Puerto de Hierro) exactly? I know where Nuevos Ministerios is, so where is it in relation to that?

#60169 - 05/18/01 07:34 AM Re: Neighborhoods in Madrid
Shimano Offline

From Nuevos Ministerios you should take Raimundo Fernández Villaverde (where the huge Corte Ingles is)and go all the way west.
When you arrive to the University area you have to turn right and follow the way north.It's just behind the Dehesa de la Villa.

#60170 - 05/18/01 08:03 AM Re: Neighborhoods in Madrid
nevado Offline

Since you want to be near shops, museums, etc., I wouldn't suggest Puerto de Hierro. IMHO, it's too far from the action. I think barrio Salamanca would be your best bet. There are plenty of flats with charm, nice shops, easy to get around, etc. Look for the word "señorial" (elegant) when searching for a flat if that's what you had in mind (tall windows, molding, etc.)
Madrid de los Austrias is another neighborhood with "old world charm". Check that out but choose wisely, some flats may be dilapidated since they've been around a long time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments