Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#6010 - 08/29/03 02:33 PM Re: Madrid/Sevilla+ hotel suggestions?
justretired Offline

Loc: Massachusetts
Thank you all for your suggetsions. We are still trying to sort it out hotels in Madrid, and hope to start booking this weekend. We had hoped to stay at the Parador in Granada ( for a big splurge), but as indicated in every book weritten about the area, it was booked months ago. Any alternate suggestions? Is it better to be on the grounds of Alhambra, or are some of the small hotels nearby nicer? Karen Brown recommends the America or the Alhambra Palace, but the former is quite small and may be booked, and the latter sounds large and inpersonal. Any thoughts?

Again, thanks for everyone's help! Margret

#6011 - 08/29/03 04:32 PM Re: Madrid/Sevilla+ hotel suggestions?
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
justretired:

Wanted to reply to you with complete information but your time is running out so here goes a quick rundown.

* Sevilla
I would definately stay in the Juderia (Santa cruz area).

Las Casa de Juderia is more than your budget but a nice splurge.

Casa de Juderia

However, I stayed at the Alcantara over Semana Santa and it was nice. Excellent location, good price, new and clean. The design is more IKEA type modern but it's a good place.

Hotel Alcantara

* Arcos
El Convento - excellent little place. Our balcony was larger than our room and overlooked the valley. Friendly staff - same owners as restaurant of same name - a must.
No website but email: hotelelconvento@terra.es

*Ronda
Hotel Don Miguel - across from the parador with the same views and half the price. I requested a room with a balcony and view and was literally hanging off the gorge! If I recall the price was about 50 euros including breakfast.

Hotel Don Miguel

Madrid:
I stayed one night at the Hotel Principe 11.
Principe 11
It was in a great location. Clean room but nothing fancy. I'd stay there again.

Another place in Madrid has my curiosity and looks great but I've never stayed there:

En Busca del tempo

* Granada
Stayed at the hotel Anacapri:
Anacapri

It was nice and central. It is pretty quiet at night on the hill where the Alhambra is. I almost booked at the Hotel America and was glad I didn't. I'm not into the wild nightlife scene but it's nice to be able to walk to cafes, etc..

Alhambra hint: if it is possible (time of year) DO make an extra trip and visit at night. Incredible experience and not alot of people know this is possible.

I do alot of research on hotels using hotelsearch.com:

web page

It's not a booking service but has alot of links directly to the hotels and information on them. I've never had a problem booking through the internet using these links.

I don't usually have trouble sleeping at night, but I do bring a travel size sound machine that plays soothing sounds (waves, surf, rain, etc....). If there is any noise outside it's masked by the sound of the machine.

Hope this helps. Keep us updated! laugh

#6012 - 08/29/03 04:59 PM Re: Madrid/Sevilla+ hotel suggestions?
justretired Offline

Hi Cath,

#6013 - 08/29/03 05:21 PM Re: Madrid/Sevilla+ hotel suggestions?
justretired Offline

Hi Cathy,

I'll try again. ( My hand slipped and somehow, the last message got posted).
Thanks so much for your extended answer; it was very helpful. I gather you have liked the apartment experience. Except with a vacation with our children, we have never stayed in one. Did you find yourself isolated at all, or do these apartment complexes tend to have desk consierge help? Restaurants or breakfast areas? I had looked at Suite Prado, but I think it is in a different category.

We have planned to stay at the Juderia in Seville- the cost is just fine, and we have friends who have stayed there and loved it. In Arcos, we have been trying to decide between El Convento and Cortijo Fain, a farmhouse on the outskirts of town. It's hard to know if being outside town is good or bad. In our travels, we have sometimes liked ot stay at rural B&Bs that have dinner at night. After a day of touring, it's sometimes nice to relax over a nice mea and collapsel. But, it's hard to know if this woudl be too limiting.

Thanks for the tip about Hotel Don Miguel- it sounds perfect. I also like the desription of Anacapri- I hadn't come across this hotel. The location sounds great. I wasn't sure what you meant by a wild nighttime scene- we're pretty much the same as you. We like to be able to walk around, have a cafe, etc., but late night partying is for the kids. Are some of the hotels in the middle of the "party scene?"

We Will be in Granada around the 15th of November- is this still OK for night time trips to the Alhambra. Also, did you have the hotel get your tickets to the Alhambra for you? If not, how did you get them?

I'm getting one of those travel sound machines. It's a great idea.

Again, thanks, Margret

#6014 - 08/29/03 11:18 PM Re: Madrid/Sevilla+ hotel suggestions?
ToniG Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
We stayed at the Cortijo Fain in 2001. We liked the rooms and cozy fireplace. But bear in mind that it is a different experience than ARcos. We stayed there after a day of bicycling and then walking around Arcos and it was definitely relaxing. I would recommend the Cortijo Fain, to large congenial groups--we had fun there.

#6015 - 08/31/03 12:25 PM Re: Madrid/Sevilla+ hotel suggestions?
nj Offline

Loc: Northern ireland
You could try the Hotel Green El Prado , it has a central location (near plaza Santa Anna)and has really comfortable and quiet rooms.We've just spent 4 days in madrid and we stayed there and the hotel was perfect.Rough guides or Lonely Planet would probably say that the hotel lacks character,which means that the hotel is spotlessly clean.For a fine budget meal go to la Finca De Susana at calle Arlaban near the hotel -but you've got to go early!Hope you enjoy this fantastic city!

#6016 - 09/01/03 01:06 PM Re: Madrid/Sevilla+ hotel suggestions?
kelar419 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Texas
About Granada, I dont know how high up the hill, the hotel you mentioned is...but be aware that if it is something actually on the grounds of the Alhambra (like the parador, or alhambra palace), or too far up, you will have quite a walk too and from. The path up to the Alhambra is gorgeous, but definitely a hike! There are little buses (cheap, I think only 75 cent) that shuttle people back and forth, but then you have to deal with waiting for them, etc.

As far as tickets to the Alhambra, definitely go for a night visit if you get the chance. You can buy tickets from any travel agency in Granada, and some banks, you cant buy them up at the Alhambra though, so get them a day in advance if you can! smile

I studied in Granada last semester, you will love the city!!! If you want to avoid areas where there is a lot of night life...avoid anything around Plaza Einstein, calle Pedro Antonio, or around Plaza Real.
Kelly laugh

#6017 - 09/02/03 11:03 AM Re: Madrid/Sevilla+ hotel suggestions?
CathyM Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hermosa Beach, California
Quote:
I gather you have liked the apartment experience. Except with a vacation with our children, we have never stayed in one. Did you find yourself isolated at all, or do these apartment complexes tend to have desk consierge help?
The hotels in Madrid I listed are really not apartment complexes. Principe 11 was basically a room with a small little area for a kitchen and a dorm size refrigerator. Nothing fancy. It was close to the Plaza Santa Ana, in the heart of it all.

As for Granada, the Alhambra and the hotels located are pretty isolated. Although I'm not into the wild party scene, it is nice to be able to easily walk to a cafe, tapas bar or listen to some music versus having to rely on a taxi or shuttle.

Sorry I wasn't clear earlier - trying to post too much in too little time wink .

Let me know if you need anything else. Spain is the best. laugh

#6018 - 09/02/03 12:17 PM Re: Madrid/Sevilla+ hotel suggestions?
justretired Offline

Thanks everyone for all your help. We sent off resevations over the weekend. I pretty much picked most of the places we are staying based on all my readings and lots of your help. My husband really liked the idea of a hostel in Madrid ( so he can speak Spanish, I suspect), and he chose Hostel la Macarena because he has a colleague who really enjoyed her stay there. We are staying at the other following places: Casa de la Juderia (Seville), El Convento ( Arcos), the Paradors in Ronda and Malaga, and America in Granada. In the end, we decided to stay near the Alhambra and take the shuttle into town for other sightseeing besides the Alhambra and for meals and tapas, etc. We just thought it would be quieter. It's funny- we have never thought as much about noise ( well, maybe in Florence!) as we have in planning this trip. So many books and comments about the noise sensatized me, I think. In any case, again, thanks. I'll be on the forum shortly looking for suggestions on where to eat and what to do- it's amazing that so many of you share your ideas so freely. Madrid Man, you have created a wonderful service!

Margret

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 952 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments