Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#60078 - 04/20/01 01:39 PM Re: just got back...Tour Report 3/29 - 4/14 2001
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Leche, thank you so much for your wonderful posts. I just finished reading them, and I'm very moved. Going back to Spain after having lived there is an incredible experience, and I could picture clearly in my mind what you described. I'm also looking forward even more now to returning there myself this summer, not only to see the sights, but to be with friends, and meet new ones. And thank you for taking all the time to write up so much information, and then to share it with us.

#60079 - 04/20/01 02:09 PM Re: just got back...Tour Report 3/29 - 4/14 2001
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
Leche,
I just came back from a wonderful lunch while reading your postings on your recent trip. Tonight I will read your account on your Semana Santa trip in Granada. After reading line by line your Madrid experience, I realized how lucky I was to experience Madrid. Enjoy your weekend and regards to Caitlin!
Mclarke

#60080 - 04/20/01 02:21 PM Re: just got back...Tour Report 3/29 - 4/14 2001
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
eek eek eek eek eek eek

In a word......: WOW! Thanks SO much for sharing SO much wonderful information, Leche!! If I could, I'd give you FIVE STARS! hehehehe... laugh

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#60081 - 04/20/01 03:59 PM Re: just got back...Tour Report 3/29 - 4/14 2001
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
Thanks MM! We can't wait to get back! I'm thinking next year I would like to see Sevilla and travel up to Barcelona. It would be great to walk around with Dan O'Beirne (an american) who lives in Sevilla and runs www.magicalspain.com. He actually does tours all over Andalucía and Spain (for a price).

Leche

#60082 - 04/20/01 04:12 PM Re: just got back...Tour Report 3/29 - 4/14 2001
billy ski Offline

Loc: long beach New York USA
Dear Leche: What a fabulous post. It brought me immediately back to my five days in Madrid.Your posting was full of emotion and eloquence. My girlfriend and I also stayed at Hostal Aresol and I have recommended his establishment many times.I'm thrilled Jose & his lovely family are filling up regularly.He went over & beyond the call of duty with us in order to find an English speaking Surgeon when my girl developed an ear infection.We still sing his praises to all that will listen.You certainly seen much of Madrid and I am now aching to be back in Spain. Your posting reminds me of MClarke's trip to Andalucia.It is wonderful to have this venue in order to share and revisit Spain on each others trips. Thank You Very Much for your time & effort. Gratefully: Bill Ski laugh

#60083 - 04/20/01 04:34 PM Re: just got back...Tour Report 3/29 - 4/14 2001
Leche Offline

B-ski....right on! Jose and his wife are tops! It's amazing that he takes such a personal interest in his guests with so many people coming through there. His aunt actually owns the pisos and Jose has been managing it for about 5 years. They have 2 small children whom I loaded down with american candy (we have 3 young boys so I know what kids like!!).

About the hostal....some have mentioned that it's noisy being on the C/ Arenal and all, which it can be if the doors are open (at anytime day or night!) but all the rooms facing the street have double glass doors, 2 sets of curtains, and a heavy plastic roll-down style outside blind that will *completely* block out all light and noise...you won't even know what time of day or night it is and may end up sleeping in as we did! Ask for the double room 106 at the end...it's slightly larger than the rest and Jose said some of his yearly Spanish clients always ask for it.

Leche

[ 04-20-2001: Message edited by: Leche ]

[ 04-20-2001: Message edited by: Leche ]

#60084 - 04/20/01 04:57 PM Re: just got back...Tour Report 3/29 - 4/14 2001
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Leche- I thanked you privately, now I'll do so publicly: Anyone who has spent any amount of time in Madrid (and hasn't been back for a spell) HAS to be moved by Leche's words.

I also lived, as Leche, in Spain for two years as a missionary in the north. I've been able to study at length in Madrid, though and can relate to all the FINE details expressed by Leche.

While two minutes is all you need to fall in love with Spain, when you carry two years of memories of the incredible Spanish people in your heart, the simplest things can move you to tears. This morning I was listening to Mecano in my car, and as the song "Un Año Más" came on, I was choking up! What a boob! The song sings of how Spain "gets together" in the Puerta del Sol on Nochevieja and for one time, they all do the same thing at once. Oh how I long to go back to Spain!!!!

Thank you, thank you, gracias, eskerrik asko, Leche. You have made my day in a big way!

#60085 - 04/20/01 05:19 PM Re: just got back...Tour Report 3/29 - 4/14 2001
Leche Offline

You are so kind Calibasco....thank you. I love that song too!

Leche

#60086 - 04/20/01 09:29 PM Re: just got back...Tour Report 3/29 - 4/14 2001
billy ski Offline

Loc: long beach New York USA
Leche: By the way Kathi & I stayed also in Room #106 with the elongated bathroom and the blue bed spread. I loved the rickety wooden elevator and the terrace overlooking C.Arenal and the Puerta del Sol.Oh what a grand location.A friend we met in Madrid insisted we stay at the Hotel Paris which also overlppks the P.del Sol. It is directly under the Tio Pepe sign. He said we would pay the same as Hostal Aresol.We seen the Paris and had coffee and a tour but chose to remain in the Aresol despite his insider status.We loved it but at night when the Discos let out I did get awakened by the screaming & carrying on. Next night I used my ear plugs and slept like a baby.I shall return to Madrid and look forward to it every day, even while I travel to other ports of call.

#60087 - 04/20/01 10:35 PM Re: just got back...Tour Report 3/29 - 4/14 2001
druship Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
I'm so excited that there are others who like Mecano also. Mecano is one of the first groups I fell in love with as I've gone through/continue the process of learning Spanish. I haven't even BEEN to Madrid (YET!) and Un Ano Mas chokes me up. However, I will be there this summer for a month, and will be taking classes right near Sol on Calle Arenal at Eureka.

I'm very excited, yet the more I truly think about what I'm doing, the more I get scared. I guess this is why it has taken me 5 years to do this. Good thing my ticket is bought, no?

Thank you for the wonderful notes. I have less than two months and feel like I'm on some brink. Saturn's return I suppose. Everyone says 28 is when it hits. Thanks!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments