Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#59992 - 04/16/01 06:34 PM What do you do when you're not here at MM's board?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hey, folks--
At the risk of annoying anyone who is concerned about privacy issues, I thought it would be fun to learn a bit about what we all do in our "real lives." I'm happy to start...I'm a grad student in my very early 30s, working toward a Ph.D. in child development, and the proud mother of a 3.5-year-old. She keeps my research grounded in reality...a good thing for an academic type! She hasn't been to Spain yet, but I can't wait to take her.

And as most of you know, I introduced my husband to España in March. He was enthralled, so I think I will keep him (he was only on probation until he passed the "loves Spain" test). In my free time (Ha! With a 3-year-old? Not much of that!), I knit, read, and hang out on the Web (too much).

So that's me...anyone else want to share a bit of not-terribly-intrusive personal info?

smile

#59993 - 04/16/01 09:55 PM Re: What do you do when you're not here at MM's board?
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
I am a senior in college in Pennsylvania -- graduating in a little over a month -- and majoring in International Language/ Business and Philosophy. Spanish is my main language (could you have guessed? laugh ) but I used to take French, German, and Italian, and I am taking Portuguese now. I am job hunting but it is hard because I don't know what I want to do except speak Spanish and get my foot in the door somewhere that might want to transfer me to Madrid! In my spare time I am soaking up the rest of college life, ie hanging out at the bar -- but months of PA barhopping could not compare to one night in Salamanca!

#59994 - 04/16/01 10:08 PM Re: What do you do when you're not here at MM's board?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Oh, Majesty, I couldn't agree more!

And my husband's family is from PA...he was born in State College when his dad was in grad school, and his grandparents still live in Pottsville (cute little old coal town). I love visiting Pennsylvania!

I forgot to mention that I live in Minnesota, but am from Florida...and on days like today, I wish I could be back there!! Brr...it was SNOWING this morning!

#59995 - 04/16/01 10:52 PM Re: What do you do when you're not here at MM's board?
expressdance Offline

Loc: Boston, Ma USA
I'm a Sophomore in college in Massachusetts. I'm a Spanish major, and I hope to double major in linguistics (at least minor at this point). I plan on teaching Spanish at the high school level when I graduate. I would also like to try working for some sort of company through which I could travel to Spain a lot. Don't know exactly yet, but I have plenty of time. In my spare time, I work, compulsively check my e-mail, work, check this site, work, hang out with friends, and of course work some more. smile

#59996 - 04/17/01 06:51 AM Re: What do you do when you're not here at MM's board?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
I'm a Senior (Senior citizen, that is) and retired. When I am not browsing MadridMan's board I am usually planning my next Europe trip. I visited Spain 3-times last year: twice with my better half (Madrileña) and once solo. The solo trip was as a result of being the successful bidder on a Lufthansa Internet auction for a Philadelphia-Bilbao R/T (total, incl. taxes, etc. $213 USD). So I look at the auctions too. Although we stopped in Sevilla in September '00. most of our Spain travel is to Cantabria or Galicia, partly because we share Celtic 'roots.' rolleyes

Some trips have a religious theme (Santiago de Compostela for Año Júbilar Xacobeo in '99 and Santo Toribio (Potes, Cantabria) for Año Santo in '00).

#59997 - 04/17/01 08:19 AM Re: What do you do when you're not here at MM's board?
Jaime Offline

I am graduating in a month with similar credentials and ambitions as Majesty. Basically, I just want to travel, speak Spanish and love what I do. Asking too much isn't it? I am also the mother of a beautiful two year old girl named Sophia and work part-time at a Spanish restaurant.

#59998 - 04/17/01 02:58 PM Re: What do you do when you're not here at MM's board?
mel-knee Offline

Loc: North Carolina, USA
I was an elementary Spanish teacher for 3 years, and now I'm in grad school. I'll get my master's in public administration in May. Right now I work part-time for a latino advocacy nonprofit doing research and program evaluation. After graduation, who knows what I'll do? wink

In my spare time I'm been planning my next trip to Spain. My husband & I are going to Madrid & Sevilla for 10 days in October for his "loves Spain" test! (He's on probation as well).

I dedicate the rest of my free time to my shih tzu Ginger, who is undoubtably the cutest dog on the planet. laugh

#59999 - 04/17/01 04:33 PM Re: What do you do when you're not here at MM's board?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Ummm... I work (what do I do? It's a mysterrrry, but suffice to say I push papers all day long), but the message board is NEVER far from my thoughts or fingers. When I'm NOT editing/replying-to/posting messages on the message board I'm likely answering website related email like "Umm.. I'm going to Spain this summer. What are the Must-Sees and how long should I spend at each place?" or "I'm going to Spain this tomorrow. Are there any good hostels in Madrid?" or "I'm going to Madrid next month. Can you send me some information about it?" or "I'm doing a report on Madrid. Can you mail me some literature about it?" Okay... that's JUST the email (I think I answered about 25 Saturday night and Sunday).

Otherwise, I'm searching for new-to-the-web hostels to add, new radio stations in Spain to add, new and cool things about Madrid and Spain to add (by the way, Jeremy's Madrid Plaza Mayor LIVE cam (cam online 6pm-8am local time and all weekend) has just gone online!!), and thinking of potential new Spain-related websites to create (not that I have any spare time to make them right now, but have LOTS of plans and domain names to be used).

Other than those things above, I rarely watch TV, stay up too late and get up too early, travel whenever I can, and try to be as happy as possible while being many many MANY miles away from my sweet ladyfriend, passing the time until my next visit. And that's it!

Saludos, MadridMan

[ 04-17-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#60000 - 04/17/01 04:39 PM Re: What do you do when you're not here at MM's board?
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Hey, MM, when you say that what you do is a "mystery," I hope you only mean it's a mystery to US, not to YOU! (Though sometimes I think being a grad student is one of those jobs where even *I* don't know what I do all day--though pushing papers has a familiar ring to it--I teach an undergrad course that has 150 students in it, and each is writing about 7 papers this semester--yikes!).

#60001 - 04/17/01 06:09 PM Re: What do you do when you're not here at MM's board?
LindaB Offline

Loc: Shoreview, MN USA
I live in Shoreview, MN. Not too far from you taravb. I work for Daytons (soon to be re-named Marshall Fields) as an interior designer.

I love travel, reading about travel, returning with treasures from my travels, and re-creating the meals I've enjoyed on my travels.

We are leaving for our first trip to Spain on April 25. I love reading MM's board every morning with my coffee and I value all the information I've gathered here.

taravb, are you aware of any good Spanish restaurants in the Mpls/St. Paul area?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments