Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#59943 - 04/05/01 07:38 AM Re: Chinchon and Chueca
nevado Offline

Chinchon, the card game is a 7-card Gin (card game smile )

#59944 - 04/05/01 08:06 AM Re: Chinchon and Chueca
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Rafa,

Thanks! I always wondered where those little green buggers were raised. I had no idea they came from that region. My gardening skills go as far as being able to pick up veggies at the grocery store for my wife, and half the time she thumps a melon, or squeezes a tomato and says I screwed that up too rolleyes

When I was young (that was last century), I enjoyed skiing. I always wanted to carve a trail down the side of a Peruvian mountain but to be honest, I would have probably ended up rolling 90% of the way down after falling.

Now what does this have to do with Chinchon? Nothing.... But when you get old like me.... your mind wanders. laugh

Incidentally, I am kind of partial to lima beans. smile

Wolf

#59945 - 04/06/01 04:52 AM Re: Chinchon and Chueca
Miguelito Offline

Chinchón is a town, the liquor from there is also called chinchón (like Cognac, Champaigne or Jerez are from those towns) it is a drink very similar to anissette.
In Spain, we call chichón to that swelling.
Chueca is a sirname, there was a compositor of zarzuelas very famous in which honour there is a square in Madrid.

#59946 - 04/06/01 10:56 AM Re: Chinchon and Chueca
Miguelito Offline

I'm sorry, I have just remembered that chueca has also a meaning, I couldn't look for it in the RAE dictionary but this is what it says in the vox one:

chueca (orig. desconocido; cat. soca; fr. souche)
1 f. Tocón (parte de tronco).
2 Juego entre dos bandos, cada uno de los cuales procura que una bola impelida por el contrario no pase la raya que señala su término.
3 fig. Burla, chasco.

II) chueca (v. chuca)
1 f. Hueso redondeado o parte de él que encaja en el hueco de otro en una coyuntura.
I forgot to repeat that chinchón is also a card game as Susi said

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments