Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#59850 - 03/23/01 07:15 PM So, why are you going to Madrid?
roses Offline

Loc: Beverly Hills, CA
For me, I'm going to find myself. I'd love to spend a month a way somewhere and just focus on me and what matters most. I selected Madrid, because it's close to all my friends in Europe, the national language is Castellano, and because I am a figure skater. I have never been able to travel for long periods of time, due to my responsibilites as an athlete. So this year, I decided... hey, I'll just go somewhere where there is an olympic size ice rink and where Spanish is spoken (so I can practice) and voila -- Madrid it was...What about you?

[ 04-04-2001: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#59851 - 03/23/01 11:12 PM Re: So, why are you going to Madrid?
mabella Offline

Loc: miami, fl. usa
Three years ago I had just started dating a friend of a friend who's parents were visiting him from Boston. At the same time I was contemplating a study abroad program in Italy. Voicing my opinion about whether or not I should take such a trip,to my friends mother, she stated matter of factly: "Go, whenever you have a chance to go anywhere, take it, because you never know if you'll have that chance again." She then went on to tell me how her husband and herself had always said they would someday go to Spain, and here they were in their 70's, and hadn't been there yet. Well, to make a long story short, I ended up taking my trip and falling in love with her son. We are now married and in May we will be taking her & her husband, to the place they had always wanted to visit, but were never able to. We can't wait!!!!

[This message has been edited by mabella (edited 03-24-2001).]

#59852 - 03/24/01 07:44 PM Re: So, why are you going to Madrid?
Jillian_S Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
I went to Madrid the first time because I wanted to live and work in Europe (I'd been there before, but just backpacking and youth-hosteling), and as I was a teacher of English as a Second Language, I wondered where I'd have the best chance of getting work. People told me to go to Spain, because in northern Europe, you needed the almighty and unattainable work permit. So that's how ended up in Madrid, where I lived for three years (in the midst of which I worked for one year in Istanbul--hey, Madridman, is there an Istanbulman?)
Now I am finally going back to Madrid because I wanted to take my mom on a trip (she's never been to Europe) and she said she'd like to go to Spain. Also, I know Madrid well enough that I can take her there without spending TOO much time studying up. I know she'll be impressed, and me? Well, I'll probably be shocked by the changes since I left l5 yrs ago.

#59853 - 03/31/01 11:32 PM Re: So, why are you going to Madrid?
karenwishart Offline

Loc: York,PA,USA
So Jillian...how were your English teaching experiences? I am considering doing the International TEFL certificate course in Barcelona and hopefully finding some opportunities to stay on.I had always wanted to teach English in perhaps Greece, but thanks to a forthcoming 2 wk trip to Spain and the passion for the country that this site emits..I'm starting to feel some things were meant to be...like me in Spain!

#59854 - 04/01/01 01:01 AM Re: So, why are you going to Madrid?
expressdance Offline

Loc: Boston, Ma USA
well, I first visited Spain when I was 13 years old, with my school's spanish class. It was the ultimate experience for me. I just fell in love with everything I saw there. As I progressed through high school, I realized that I really loved learning to speak Spanish, and someday wanted to teach it. I even ended up taking flamenco classes. So, now I'm at the end of my sophomore year in college (as a Spanish major), and I'm going on a one month trip to study in spain this summer, as well as a study abroad there spring semester this year. Its such a gorgeous place!

#59855 - 04/01/01 03:15 PM Re: So, why are you going to Madrid?
roses Offline

Express Dance: Are you going to be in Madrid for a month or are you going to other cities? Did you decide to stay in a hostal or rent an apartment? I'm curious, because I'm going to Madrid for a month and I have been having the hardest time figuring out where to stay. I'll be there in late June to late July... Will you be taking any Spanish classes while you are there? If so, with what program? -roses.

#59856 - 04/01/01 04:26 PM Re: So, why are you going to Madrid?
expressdance Offline

Loc: Boston, Ma USA
Roses,
I'm actually spending most of my month in Salamanca on a program with my University here at home. I will be arriving in Madrid on the 30th of June, and spending a day and night there alone, and then I will be off to Salamanca to study. On my way back home, I plan on spending a few more days in Madrid before July ends. I'm sorry I couldn't help you with more Madrid info, and that my original response was more about Spain in general than Madrid. Good luck finding a place. If I hear of anything I will let you know, considering I am constantly looking at Spain info.

#59857 - 04/02/01 05:48 AM Re: So, why are you going to Madrid?
nevado Offline

Roses, you may want to place an ad in the InMadrid publication. You can do so from a link on MM! Many English teachers end their teaching year in June and head on vacation or back home so you might find a room to rent for the month.
Good luck!

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 04-02-2001).]

#59858 - 04/02/01 09:21 AM Re: So, why are you going to Madrid?
roses Offline

Thanks, Nevado! I'll look into that! Ciao -roses.

#59859 - 04/02/01 12:40 PM Re: So, why are you going to Madrid?
canadiense Offline

Loc: Magstadt, GERMANY
Gotta share my excitement...tickets are now booked to Madrid, and I also made it into the Spanish program at the University of Salamanca for the first two weeks of July!!

It's going to be a good summer

#59860 - 04/04/01 11:57 AM Re: So, why are you going to Madrid?
roses Offline

Canadiense: That's great that you're going to Madrid during the best time to go: SUMMER! Is it your first time to Madrid?

[ 04-04-2001: Message edited by: roses ]

#59861 - 04/04/01 12:53 PM Re: So, why are you going to Madrid?
canadiense Offline

Loc: Magstadt, GERMANY
Hey Roses,

I was there 3 years ago for Christmas. I was able to stay for a month, and had an incredible time, even when it was cold and raining. This time over I'm looking forward to doing all of the summer type things, and just having a good time in general. I mainly just want to improve my Spanish and meet lots of people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
areidy
Who's Online
0 registered (), 924 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments