Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#5969 - 08/08/03 09:47 PM Apartments near Madrid
crowduck Offline

Loc: Santa Cruz, Calif
Are there less expensive alternatives outside of Madrid proper? Like in smaller cities close to Madrid maybe 20 or 30 minutes travel time away? I'm retired looking for an interesting place to live outside of the USA.

#5970 - 08/08/03 10:05 PM Re: Apartments near Madrid
JA Offline

Loc: usa
C-Duck,
I have looked at housing in Mad a couple of times as I would like to live there someday. The prices are pretty high and the areas where housing becomes more proletarian are ok but they consists of pretty much blocks and blocks of apt buildings with no real humanity.

I don't know what price range you are looking at but buying an apt in Mad is very expensive (a friend who lives there says that in general apt prices are as high as those in Paris); rentals on the other hand may be the solution if you want to stay in areas that have some charm. All I can tell you is that I live in the NYC Metro area and the prices that I saw in several R/E agencies, in general, were not a hell of a lot lower. Have you looked at other cities? I wish you luck. Let me know how you do.

JA

#5971 - 08/08/03 10:29 PM Re: Apartments near Madrid
crowduck Offline

JA,
Thanks for the reply. I am interested in long term rental. I have an income from VA disibility and soon Social Security that will total about $3200 USD per month. So, I'm looking for somewhere nice that I can live well on that income.

#5972 - 08/11/03 05:05 PM Re: Apartments near Madrid
JA Offline

C-duck,

This info is just in case: have you checked the visa situation for retirees? You have to prove an income of about 15 grand to be able to live as resident. Otherwise, you have to go back and forth every 6 month, which may interest you if you are planning to live in one place half year and somewhere else the other half.
Also, you may want to look at places like Sevilla and Cadiz. I like Cadiz very much; it is sort of laid back and not over populated with tourists. Sevilla is great but the tourist atmosphere is heavy in some places.

Check Barcelona also; it is a superb city and it should cost about the same.

I would say that 1K for housing (monthly) may be a good figure.

Good luck,

JA

#5973 - 08/12/03 04:48 PM Re: Apartments near Madrid
crowduck Offline

JA,
Thanks for the heads up. I hope you meant $15,000 per year, and not per month. I should have an income of about $35,000 per year USD. And actually am already thinking about splitting my time between Spain and Mexico. In Puerto Escondido one can live VERY well for $1000 per month including food and lodging. Spain is much more expensive, but has things that I am attracted to like flamenco and bullfighting.
Regards,
CrowDuck

#5974 - 08/12/03 08:45 PM Re: Apartments near Madrid
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hi Crowduck,
A thread after my own heart! I too have similar aspirations. There are a few threads here that may interest you.

Living in Spain
and this one:
love of Spain.
There may be others.

Would you mind talking about the Mexico retirement spot in the Non-Spain Discussion section? I have a few questions about Mejico!
Thanks,
Carmen

#5975 - 08/12/03 10:43 PM Re: Apartments near Madrid
JA Offline

C-Duck,

Affirmative, per year ( and I believe that they mean gross income) You should have no problem with it, but remember two main problems: you have to pay income tax in the US (federal and state) and your medical insurance may not cover you overseas depending on your age. So, one has to explore the medical insurance angle which should not be that difficult to clarify and solve. By the way, Citibank US was setting up(or did already) a program that allows you to keep your bank account in the US and manage it and use in Europe. When I checked the program was not in place yet. I mention this because having your pension check electronically transferred to your bank is a real relief.

Tell me something about the Mexican angle.

Thanks,

JA

#5976 - 08/12/03 11:55 PM Re: Apartments near Madrid
JA Offline

Pretty current info on Spain:
http://www.surinenglish.com/index.php

JA

#5977 - 08/13/03 05:02 PM Re: Apartments near Madrid
crowduck Offline

JA,
Check out the None Spain forum under Miscellaneous in this site and look for my thread Mexico info for BookLady to see some info and links for Puerto Escondido, Mex. It's off the beaten path, and not cosmopolitan, and one can live there very well for relatively little.
Thanks for the info on insurance and Citibank. I'm covered by VA, but that probably won't help me in Spain. All of my income is non taxable being VA disibility plus Social Security, but I guess I'll still have to file a return. I hope Citibank or some other has that deal you mentioned. In Mexico Banamex has that kind of arrangement with a bank in Los Angeles that I can't remmember at this moment.
Regards,
CrowDuck

#5978 - 08/28/03 05:36 AM Re: Apartments near Madrid
freeorbit Offline

Loc: madrid
Looking for roommate
I am renting two rooms in my apartment in Madrid, close to metro and train, 7 minutes to shopping center. 350 euros a month.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments