Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#59767 - 03/08/01 01:21 PM Aywa? Ayva? Alli va?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I'm trying to learn some Arabic, and came across the word "yes" as "aywa" (in the Egyptian dialect). Easy, I thought, I'll just think of the Spanish expression. It then hit me that I've never actually seen this expression in writing. Does anyone know how it's spelled? It means something like oh, wow, and I've heard it many, many times in Spain, with the second syllable drawn out - "ay waaaaa." I've even used it myself, many times, and was understood. Does anyone know the background of this expression? I'm also wondering if it has Arabic roots.

#59768 - 03/09/01 02:08 PM Re: Aywa? Ayva? Alli va?
Guapetona Offline

I think that what you mean is when somebody says, "ah va va"..kinda like, "yeah ok ok".

I'm pretty sure that's it. Anybody else know what this might be?

#59769 - 03/09/01 03:13 PM Re: Aywa? Ayva? Alli va?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Could you be referring to:
«ahí va» ? Meaning, "there it is" or "there it goes".

Perhaps the Sephardic phrase "oy vei" fits in here....

#59770 - 03/11/01 09:54 PM Re: Aywa? Ayva? Alli va?
expressdance Offline

Loc: Boston, Ma USA
I don't know anything about that phrase in particular, and I don't know if what I'm saying now is completely true, but someone once told me that many of the words in Spanish that start with the letter A are of Arabic origin. We're all aware of the Arabic influence in Spain. Un ejemplo es la palabra Alcoba. If anyone uses that word anymore! Alhambra may be a good one too!

#59771 - 03/12/01 01:35 AM Re: Aywa? Ayva? Alli va?
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Right you are. Actually, I remember someone else posting in a different thread to that same effect. Many words with the "al" at the beginning or even in the middle are remnants of the Moorish influence. Almohada (actually a dynasty, the Almohads), alcázar, arroz, azúcar, Guadalquivir and Guadalajara to name a few...

#59772 - 03/12/01 01:40 PM Re: Aywa? Ayva? Alli va?
PacoM Offline

Hi Diana,

The exclamation I believe you're looking for is the interjection ¡vaya! which has the meaning of oh! or wow!

There is a very good on-line multilingual dictionary that you can consult it's url is http://www.diccionarios.com
In my opinion, this is the best Spanish/English dictionary available right now. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 03-18-2001).]

#59773 - 03/12/01 04:16 PM Re: Aywa? Ayva? Alli va?
kbl Offline

Someone has already given the URL for a website with a list of Arabic words in Spanish - there are almost 1000 of them. I believe the URL is www.verdeislam.com/vi_03/VI_307.htm for anyone who's interested. I really enjoyed reading through the list.

#59774 - 03/18/01 04:04 AM Re: Aywa? Ayva? Alli va?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I will definitely look up that list of Arabic words when I get home (I'm in a cybercafe in Egypt right now. Couldn't resist checking out the board quickly!). Calibasco, could you tell me more about oy vei? What does it mean?

Hasta luego, amigos! (Off to check out the mummies!)

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments