Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#59684 - 02/23/01 10:55 AM Re: Madly, passionately, crazily in love with Spain
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
Be sure you are going to find snow in the mountains when you drive north from Madrid, this has been the rainiest fall-winter period of the last 50 years for central Spain. And for some of the North (Galicia specially)the period october-january has been the rainiest ever in the records, it has rained in three months 10% more than in the previous 12 month,

#59685 - 02/23/01 10:58 AM Re: Madly, passionately, crazily in love with Spain
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Carole I also studied in Salamanca, last spring, in case your friend wants any more info. Tara, you sound just like me... I can't wait to get back to Salamanca. When I was still in Europe but had already left Salamanca to travel, by random chance it ended up I got to go back. It had only been about 2 weeks and I was smiling like a crazy fool so thrilled to be "home." I can't even imagine how happy I will be next time!

#59686 - 02/23/01 04:56 PM Re: Madly, passionately, crazily in love with Spain
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
I also studied in Salamanca and LOVED it. That year totally changed my life, and I have been trying to get a job FOREVER in a study abroad office at a university. I would love to be able to share that gift with other young people.

The funny thing is, I only picked Spain over other countries, because I wanted to go back to/study in Italy, but my parents wouldn't let me take Italian in college - they wanted me to get back former proficiency in Spanish and thought Italian would confuse me. I figured I go to Spain and travel to italy! I am so happy with my choice, because I really came to know the country, traveling all over it, and loving every wonderful part of that amazing country.

Anyway, I am trying to find a way to get back soon, but who knows. It looks like my boyfriend may have a chance to go there this summer to study Spanish. I am excited for him, and so sad that I can't go too.

[This message has been edited by Nicole (edited 02-23-2001).]

#59687 - 02/26/01 07:38 PM Re: Madly, passionately, crazily in love with Spain
Wolf Offline

Loc: Rockford, IL/Milton, WI, USA
Many years ago someone told me that anyone who doesn't love Spain is either dead, or has no romance in their soul.

They were right! You aren't alone in your beliefs Tav.

Wolf

#59688 - 02/26/01 07:51 PM Re: Madly, passionately, crazily in love with Spain
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
I found a Spanish saying about Salamanca (not sure who said it first, though):

"I will leave Salamanca walking backwards."

I think that saying applies to all of Spain as well. I always leave with a tear in my eye and a backward glance, and can't wait to be back. Now it's just four more days! I'll have a yummy bocadillo at lunch on Friday and wish you all could be doing the same!
Tara

#59689 - 03/09/01 02:02 PM Re: Madly, passionately, crazily in love with Spain
taravb Offline
Executive Member

We´re here in Madrid, having completed our first week in Spain, and Doug does, indeed, love it here. He´s not a big fan of bocadillos de calamares, though, but I think I´ll forgive him for that. As for me, I may just have another one tonight (our last night here!).

Saludos,
Tara

#59690 - 03/24/01 07:29 PM Re: Madly, passionately, crazily in love with Spain
Jillian_S Offline

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
To Carole, Taravb, Majesty318, Nicole and all the other Salamanciacs--
What I nice group of postings! I spent the summer of 1982 in Salamanca, not studying, just hanging out and giving private classes in English (in the fall I moved to Madrid and taught English there in language schools). I have not been back in about 17 years, but my mother and I are going to Spain during Easter week and I would like for her to see Salamanca, at least for a day or so. What I wonder is if it is better to spend Good Friday in Salamanca or Madrid? Does anyone have advice on good, cheap places to stay in Salamanca? (When I was there, I rented a room, so I don't know anything about the hostales available.)
RE Salamanca-mania, I think it's all that golden sandstone that dazzles one. It's also a nice place to just relax. The summer that I was there, the city sponsored a retrospective film series. Sitting in a hot (no air-conditioning), stuffy room on a folding chair and squinting to see a video screen, I was able to view a couple of dozen films and get a crash course in Spanish cinema, for free.

#59691 - 03/24/01 08:27 PM Re: Madly, passionately, crazily in love with Spain
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Re: places to stay in Salamanca, I don't know what I would recommend. I have heard the Parador isn't worthwhile there, as it is out of the central part of the city and doesn't have much charm. We just stayed in Hotel Las Torres, right on the Plaza Mayor. It was fine--fairly modern, with small bathrooms and somewhat tired room decor (at least in the one we stayed in). Our room overlooked the Plaza, and that was what I wanted--so that was worthwhile. I think it was a little under $100 a night, which isn't at all cheap, in my mind. But on previous visits, I have stayed in cheap places--two, that I can think of, both on the little street to the right of the Rua Mayor when you're leaving the Plaza Mayor to walk toward the cathedrals. They were fine, but I can't recall the names or what we paid for rooms (and anyway, it was 5 years ago!). I would probably go that route again, having seen what Las Torres has to offer.

#59692 - 03/25/01 02:22 PM Re: Madly, passionately, crazily in love with Spain
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Jillian_S, try doing a search. One of the board members, who as it happens is also a journalist, recently returned from a trip to Spain. I cannot remember who it was exactly, but she gave great information about where she had eaten and stayed. if I remember correctly, she gave a few options for stay in Salamanca. I think rgf did also, a while back.

And yes my fellow Salamanca lovers, the color of the morning sun on the stones, and the richness of the sunset on them is sooooo beautiful. I know it has a lot to do with having studied there and all of the meaning behind that year. Part of me wishes I could do that year over and over with one year in Santiago de Compostela, another in San Sebastian, Madrid, Sevilla, Granada, Valencia...

#59693 - 03/28/01 03:48 PM Re: Madly, passionately, crazily in love with Spain
Majesty318 Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Regarding places to stay in Salamanca:
Hostal Plaza Mayor
Plaza del Corrillo, 20
Telephone 923 26 20 20
Fax 923 21 75 48

It is a really nice hotel-like hostel right off the Plaza Mayor, costing about $50 for a double. And FYI it is owned by the same people as Mesón Cervantes and Restaurante Río Tormes (which is downstairs).

Or, try
Hotel Condal
Plaza Santa Eulalia, 3-5
Telephone 923 21 84 00
Fax 923 21 84 00 (apparently it shares the phone line?)

The rooms there are bigger than at Hostal Plaza Mayor, it is about a 2 minute walk to the Plaza Mayor, and the price for a double is the same.

I wish I was the one needing accommodation in Salamanca -- ¡qué celos!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments