Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#59655 - 02/18/01 12:35 AM Re: Family of 4 looking for suggestions/pointers
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hey Jen and Dan! Your plans sound absolutely wonderful! I agree completely with Nativo's recommendations about where to live. A small city is best, and those are excellent recommendations concerning price. Nevado summed up the Spanish school situation perfectly. (Hey Nevado, I taught at ASM from '83-'96. Which two international schools did you teach in? Do I know you?) I would say, definitely put your 4 year old in a Spanish school. He/she will be the first in the family to become fluent in Spanish, simply because small children pick up languages so quickly. My guess is that after a week or two of total immersion (no Spanish as a Second Language programs there!) you'll start hearing Spanish mixed in with English at home! As far as the 7 year old goes, if he/she is reading and writing at an above-average level here, go for the Spanish school. If not, immersing into another language will slow down everything, and you don't want him/her to be behind when you return. I've taught well over a hundred bilingual and trilingual children over the years, and sometimes adding a second or third language is not a good idea, even though the parents are sure it's for the best in the long run. I can't agree with them when I see the kids struggle so. The American School of Madrid is really good. My two children went there from age 3 till 1st and 2nd grade (luckily on full scholarship), and I taught there. If you're in the Madrid area, it's worth thinking about. In my opinion, it's the best international school for Americans in Spain, and one of the best in Europe. You can still live outside the city, which I personally think is better for the kids. Be aware that the British school sytem is different from the American, and that the children in the British system may well be more advanced academically (though it does depend on which school it is).

I would think carefully about how much contact you want with the expat community. Some people really get into it, and I think they miss out of really living the Spanish life. If you want to learn Spanish quickly, and get a real feel for Spain, try to limit time with the expat community. You don't need to be too close. True, they are wonderful resources, but so are Spaniards. (Actually, I think Spaniards always know better!!)

The best of luck! I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I hope you'll come back and let us know how things work out!

[This message has been edited by Diana (edited 02-18-2001).]

#59656 - 02/18/01 12:36 AM Re: Family of 4 looking for suggestions/pointers
jen&dan Offline

Loc: Cedar City, UT 84720
Thanks, that's the most precise, tangible, and helpful information we have received on schooling and how the Spanish style is different from American-style education. Do you think our kids, who are in the earlier grades (ages 4 and 7), would have an easier adjustment to a Spanish public school than older students studying a more advanced curriculum?

We are embarrassed to say we signed our kids up for a Spanish class and it was cancelled due to a "lack of interest." We are investigating a private tutor.

One of the websites you gave we hadn't seen before, and a few of the schools listed got us thinking about a loan....

thanks again

#59657 - 02/18/01 12:45 AM Re: Family of 4 looking for suggestions/pointers
Diana Offline

Yes, the ages of your children are definitely in your favor! A little older, and I would be trying hard to talk you out of a Spanish school! The tutor idea is an excellent one. Good luck!

#59658 - 02/18/01 05:20 AM Re: Family of 4 looking for suggestions/pointers
nevado Offline

Diana, I don't think we know each other but you never know. I was at Kings and then at a public school Ignacio Zuloaga- hated it so I left and subbed at ASM for the history teacher (the really tall women, don't remember her name). That's wild! Why did you leave ASM? I then did three years of work at María Inmaculada in Chamberí and a year at San Agustín next to Bernabeu.

#59659 - 02/18/01 03:30 PM Re: Family of 4 looking for suggestions/pointers
Diana Offline

Hi, Nevado,

Hmm...a tall history teacher... Virginia, maybe? I didn't know her well. But then I was in the lower school, so if we were there at the same time, we probably wouldn't cross paths often. Leaving ASM was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do, but I had to return to the States for my family. I loved it there. I always considered myself especially lucky to have what I considered to be the perfect job - I couldn't imagine working anywhere else and being so happy. I really can't complain about my current job, but ... I love going back and visiting. You really got some good experience in Madrid, teaching in so many different schools. I'd love to chat someday and compare experiences.

Sorry, Jen and Dan, for going off topic! I won't do it again!

#59660 - 02/24/01 02:35 PM Re: Family of 4 looking for suggestions/pointers
FriendlyDoc Offline

Loc: Beavercreek, OH USA
Jen and Dan,
When do you plan to leave for Spain?

#59661 - 03/02/01 12:13 AM Re: Family of 4 looking for suggestions/pointers
jen&dan Offline

We aim to leave mid July of 2001, although this is flexible (earlier or later). After considering all the wonderful advice here on MM, we have decided to go to Murcia.

Currently, we are suffering from sticker shock on airline tickets for a family of four. Any suggestions?

#59662 - 03/02/01 12:47 AM Re: Family of 4 looking for suggestions/pointers
jen&dan Offline

Sorry, we should have checked the transportation section before that last post. There are good suggestions there, so we'll start hunting.

#59663 - 03/05/01 08:36 AM Re: Family of 4 looking for suggestions/pointers
FriendlyDoc Offline

Loc: Beavercreek, OH USA
Jen & Dan,

I just received some information that might be useful to you. My family of 5 will be visiting Spain for 3 weeks. While inquiring into hostals in Cadiz, we received a very helpful tip. She strongly suggested we NOT consider Cadiz and look instead more North or North East (such as Malaga) because the terrain is more level. She pointed out that walking in Cadiz is tiring for children because of the severe uphill/downhill roads.

I had not even thought about considering something like that, but we DO intend to walk most everywhere. She also suggested finding transportation to some place like Malaga and then renting a car because the drive is so beautiful and less hectic than city driving.

#59664 - 03/15/01 11:14 PM Re: Family of 4 looking for suggestions/pointers
Anessa Offline

Loc: Riverside, CA, U.S.A.
I can personally relate to your questions. My family moved to Sevilla for a year when I was 11 and my sister was 10. Although my sister and I were a little older than your children at the time (It was the early 1980's) and it was about 20 years ago, it was a hard transition for both of us. My parents had the romantic view that if we attended a Spanish school we would miraculously assimilate and become fluent in Spanish. I remember sitting in class not understanding a word. Anyone who knows anything about bilingual education knows that a language cannot be learned without comprehensible input and a low affective filter (low-stress environment). The classes (I was in 6th grade) were stressful. I felt like an outcast. There was no support from the teachers who did not understand my predicament. Some of the teachers even smoked in class! I hope this is not the case now! I am not sure all of the little public schools are like this in Sevilla. Or if the situation has changed. Possibly it was the area where were living which was mainly working class. But I just felt inclined to speak up, just in case. Please look into the schools carefully. The educational system in Spain is very different and the school I attended was, I felt, very restrictive and anxiety-provoking.

Finally, after a few months of intense anxiety, my parents enrolled us in an American school very close to Sevilla. It was wonderful. The classes were very small. The other kids were from the States, and I felt much more comfortable. I remember the one-to-one attention from the teachers and the positive tight-knit environment. I still had Spanish friends in my neighborhood, so I was learning Spanish, but I also felt the comfort of my own culture. I think that is important for kids. Actually, I would say I was at a high intermediate to low-advanced level of fluency by the time I left after a year, and I even picked up the accent. I hope my feedback helps, though it might be different, since your children are much younger. Buena suerte!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments