MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#59560 - 02/02/01 10:58 AM Re: cockroach question
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
Last July when I went up to Thunder Bay I was happy to see that the conestogas had been equipped with a new invention called "snow rims" which provide better traction for the wagons on ice.

Since it was July, we only had one ice storm while there, so the opportunity to sightsee at the local blacksmith shop or exchange my cash for beaver pelts at Banque du Canada was relatively painless. It got a little chilly, so instead of spending all the beaver pelts at the trading post for rock candy and molasses chews, we just wrapped a couple around our heads for added warmth. We did save enough pelts for a home-cooked Canadian feast of jerky, back bacon and jerky. Nevertheless, due to the Mad Venison Disease scare, we had to stick to walleye jerky.

#59561 - 02/02/01 11:02 AM Re: cockroach question
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
Nicole-
I hadn't been aware of her until I stumbled upon her web site the other day. I love the use of color in her paintings! I only saw the French ones. Does she have any Spanish ones?
Good luck with your painting, you artíst, you-
Jen
Never mind-
I just came across her Spanish ones!

[This message has been edited by Jen (edited 02-02-2001).]

#59562 - 02/02/01 12:06 PM Re: cockroach question
connie Offline

Hey canadiense, but here's something very North American which you and the US have in common and which proves you are not really so different: Groundhog day of today! Something not practiced in Europe and virtually unknown prior to the movie with Bill Murray... I wonder whether Shubenacadie Sam and Punxsutawney Phil have coincided with their judgments.

#59563 - 02/02/01 05:39 PM Re: cockroach question
canadiense Offline

Loc: Magstadt, GERMANY
Hey connie, who is this Shubenacadie Sam character? Maybe he or she is an imposter to the throne from Eastern Canada? Around here we worship Wiarton Willie, who didn't see his shadow today. Check him out at www.wiarton-willie.org/index.cfm Remember kiddies, Wiarton Willie IS Canada's Groundhog (I'm not making that up).

The only problem with having Wiarton Willie is that we don't know whether to worship him or to eat him. Groundhog doesn't taste as good as our staple diet, venison brain, but you know with all those Mad Venison running around, folks here are scared (and hungry). We can't just eat rock candy and molasses chews, or else we'll get scurvy. Looks like it will be back to chewing tree bark again (I thought that would be over after the Moose scare of '96).

If only I were in Madrid, then I wouldn't have to deal with these hardships

#59564 - 02/02/01 06:29 PM Re: cockroach question
connie Offline

You are SO FUNNY, canadiense! Thanks for a good laugh at Friday evening in the office. But here I tell you something: "Shubenacadie Sam" lives in the Shubecanadie Park in Nova Scotia and he is the FIRST groundhog to make a prediction every February 2 in Canada!
Check http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr/wildpark/woodchuck.htm I must admit though,
Wiarton Willie's webpage looks much nicer. Now, this groundhog things is truly a North American thing.
Oh, and the provisions of the three North American groundhogs match each other: more winter.
One more reason to wish to be in Madrid

#59565 - 02/02/01 08:47 PM Re: cockroach question
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Oh wow. I really needed a good laugh today. Thanks guys!

Jen, I really like her stuff too. I thought about ordering some of it a while back - you can from her web site. I think there was one of sevilla's streets that I really liked. It has been a while since I checked them out.

#59566 - 02/03/01 10:05 PM Re: cockroach question
Jaime Offline

This stuff is tooo funny! Calibasco, from your post it sounds like you just got back from my hometown (De Pere) hamlet of Green Bay. I had to get to move to Milwaukee after all the French trappers and missionaries took over the place.

#59567 - 02/04/01 02:37 AM Re: cockroach question
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I actually spent two years in a Canadian high school. I studied the same general subjects any good canuck did: trapping, skinning, tanning and smoking meats. Along with that I competed for the local curling and ice fishing teams. Eventually my family and I were run out of town for embracing radical technology such as the electric light bulb and sliced bread. Radicals.

#59568 - 02/15/01 09:41 PM Re: cockroach question
Guillermito Offline

Loc: Provo, Utah, USA
On the subject of toilet paper, I thought that pink toilet paper from Dia was the most hilarious thing I had ever seen! And truth be told, some of my apartments that I lived in while I was in Spain were less than clean. Everywhere has these problems! Look in any city in the world and you'll find the whole range from pristine to muck. Stick to nice places and you'll be fine. And no, I don't like the taste of Madrid water, but neither could I stand Utah water when I moved here.

------------------
BueeenOOOOO!!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments