Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#59389 - 01/31/01 02:00 AM the great people on this board.
Anonymous
Unregistered

let me tell you guys something, ive never been to Spain before nor have i portugal. And i am going there in JUly. So im gonna have a bunch of questions .

now heres the kicker, Ive never felt more unwanted and ridiculed in my life.

the question i posted about cockroaches was a good question i think, ive been to Cape town s.africa which is a great city, beautiful, warm weather...etc. yet it was full of roaches. we didnt know this.

Now im planning my honeymoon to go to beautiful Spain, and it occoured to me to ask about any roach problem ahead of time. what is so stupid about that?

does that make me a dumb american? is that such an assanine question?

should i bring my gun to Espana in case there is a roach problem?

thats another thing, not all americans carry guns. just like not all mexicans carry knives. not all africans carry spears. thse are the stupidest comments ive ever heard. especially the canadien that made the comments. Stop watching Kids in the Hall and come up with your own origional comments about the U.S., aye?

isnt this board suposed to be informative about madrid and around Spain? cuz i have alot of questions but now ill have to go some place else.

way to go Madrid man, you should edit these negative comments towards your american posters.

asking if a country has roaches is a whole different question than asking if spain has toilet paper.

good night, i have to go back to cleaning and oiling my magnum44

dan of michigan signing off

#59390 - 01/31/01 07:18 AM Re: the great people on this board.
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Hey Dan: Don't let petty stuff like that put you off on MadridMan's board. Your question may have been viewed as unusual but it was quite understandable.

Now if you had asked about Snails, it might have been viewed as more bizarre but not too many years ago snails were a real problem in North Africa. European countries would require snail-free certification for anything shipped from Morocco or Algeria. Those tasty little escargots could destroy machinery, generators and even automobile engines if they got into them.

Don't abandon the board! You can find some good stuff here. And be careful cleaning that '44 Magnum.

#59391 - 01/31/01 07:49 AM Re: the great people on this board.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello summerinspain! Thank you for sharing your feelings about this board and its members' reactions to some of your postings. Please keep in mind that I don't censor anything the members say unless it is outright violent/aggressive. MadridMan's Spain Message Board is a "free" and "open" society where members can give their opinions, popular or otherwise. Your posting here is the perfect example of this and I'm glad you shared your feelings. There are many many different personalities in the world, but I think in general the collection of members here are intelligent, compassionate/passionate, helpful, understanding, and patient people. There will always be a few who are a bit raw, competitive, and argumentative. It's the diversity that makes message boards like this one so pleasing in a society (at least here in the USA from where the great majority of board members hail) when we are constantly afraid of offending someone, accidentally being politically INcorrect, stepping on toes, or whatever you want to call it.

Take everyone's comments with a grain of salt. Most postings are insightful and can be taken to heart. Asking about roaches in Spain is no more stupid than asking if they sell toilet paper in Spain. Well, okay, maybe the latter is a bit of a stretch, but.... hehehe... I'm born and raised "American" and before meeting my ladyfriend from Madrid 7 years ago, like many from the USA, had little knowledge about Spain or even Europe.... or Africa or South America or Russia or Asia. We're totally isolated here which partially explains why our geography and foreign language scores are always so low.

There will always be stereotypes about all cultures.....at least until there is more communication between members OF these cultures and THIS is just one of the reasons I created such a message board. Like everyone, I used to think Spain was all flamenco, paella, and bullfighting. AND NOW, I realize it's much much more.

We're not only here to ask questions, but also to share passions and experiences as well as opinions. And THIS gives the message board and its members flavor. Let's all open our hearts, minds, and extend a welcome hand to those whom are seeking assistance and guidance.

I'll step down from my pulpit (for now), but let me leave you with one final thought.... I haven't put away much of my "fresh-from-the-dryer" laundry for TWO WEEKS!! GADS! (and everyone looks around and mumbles, "What the heck is he talking about???")

Un Saludo, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#59392 - 01/31/01 08:26 AM Re: the great people on this board.
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
When I was planning my trip to Spain, MM's board was a great resource. Everyday, I logged in and read mostly every post. Finally, when I arrived Madrid, I felt so at home because most of the postings I read became a reality. I did not act like a typical lost tourist but took heed of what I've read from MM members who had visited Spain. In addition, reading postings from MM's members provide insights and attitudes of members coming from different part of the U.S.A and outside the U.S.A.

#59393 - 01/31/01 09:20 AM Re: the great people on this board.
denise Offline

Loc: Portsmouth, Ohio, USA
I must agree with mclarke 100%. I went to Spain for the first time in December, and couldn't have done it without this message board. All of the opinions/information and help it offered, made my trip smooth and enjoyable. I'll be forever grateful for the work Madridman puts into this site... AND to those that take the time to post. Because of reading and planning, I now have wonderful memories of a beautiful country.
Gracias!!!
........denise

#59394 - 01/31/01 09:41 AM Re: the great people on this board.
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
mclarke is a wonderful example of a person who came on the board with lots of questions, an open mind, a spirit of adventure, a willingness to adapt to Spanish culture... and then came back to share her experiences! I am one of the 'touchy' members of this board, and here is why. The "roach" question: what if people told you, yeah, there are some roaches in Spain. What will you do, take extra RAID? I am serious. The question isn't really about what to do, or expect, but shows a negative anticipation that implies dirt/unclean conditions. So I personally wouldn't react in my usual polite, helpful way (!!) with a question like that, but would happily app/roach (pun intended for Calibasco!) other topics. The people on this board are great, and they know Spain inside and out. So don't take offense, as MM says: just keep an open mind, as we all try to do!

#59395 - 01/31/01 11:00 AM Re: the great people on this board.
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
Denise,

When you arrived Spain, did you feel that it seemd you have been there? That's how I felt as soon as I arrived, all the expectations from MM's member posting suddenly became alive. My Spain experience will always be alive and I do feel lucky to have the opportunity to be in Spain for 3 weeks

Kisses, spanish style - left cheeck and right cheek.

#59396 - 01/31/01 11:16 AM Re: the great people on this board.
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I'm not sure Dan will be reading this...as he's signed off, but I can understand his frustration. It took me quite some time to clearly convey my thoughts on ETA to those in that thread. I'm sure some still think I belong to the group, which couldn't be further from the truth. Although I don't remember all my posts, in my heart I tried to be objective in responding. I never looked at the roach thing as a "Spain must be dirty" question, but more as a "what am I to expect?" question. I guess it really bugs (for you rgf) some people, and they feel like they need to "defend" Spain. Spain doesn't need to be defended. Anyone who takes the time to go to Spain will be conquered regardless of how many roaches/toilet paper-sandpaper rolls/etarras there are. That's why we love this board:

In spite of our differences of opinion, age experience and understanding, we share a common love for SPAIN!!! I've felt welcomed since I signed on, regardless of any misconception of my views. Now I, like Nicole, can't wait to log on every day to see what my 'friends' have added.

Come on back whenever you care to, Dan. You're always welcome.

#59397 - 01/31/01 01:26 PM Re: the great people on this board.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Well said, CaliBasco. Now someone throw that man a fish! (for you, badger & Anchovy Front)

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#59398 - 01/31/01 01:42 PM Re: the great people on this board.
steveaqui Offline

Loc: Inglaterra
Just read the cockroach question: I didn’t think it so daft a question and I didn’t think that the answers were out of proportion to the question or for that matter were directed, in any offensive way, at the person proposing the original question.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1645 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments