Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#59381 - 01/30/01 10:55 AM Help me, I don't know if I can leave USA...
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hi,
In my last trip, when I came back, I went through inmigration as usual. I submitted the form that all foreigners have to fill out in the airplane and the guy stamped my passport. No problem. But now I realize that he didn't give me the portion of the form that I am supposed to have in order to leave the country. I am coming back home (Spain) in June and I don't know if they are going to allow me to leave without that paper. I called inmigration and I explained them what's happening but the girl there was stupid and didn't listen. She said that I won't have a problem because I am a permanent resident, but I am not, I'll be one on August, but right now I am a non-permanent resident. I called again and the same stupid one answered and she didn't listen again. Do you know what should I do? I am very concern because I want to be able to go back home.

Thanks,
Nuria

#59382 - 01/30/01 11:25 AM Re: Help me, I don't know if I can leave USA...
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
maybe you should try asking at the spanish consulate instead?

#59383 - 01/30/01 11:47 AM Re: Help me, I don't know if I can leave USA...
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Nuria, Call immigration again - but at a different time that your last call - maybe the problme lady will be on a break or something. DOCUMENT date/time/name of the person (or people) you speak with and the result of the conversation. You need an answer - you also need proof that you tried to get the answer - documentation of all your attempts is basically CYA

#59384 - 01/30/01 11:53 AM Re: Help me, I don't know if I can leave USA...
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
Nuria-
Ask the girl if you can speak to her supervisor. If not, then call an other office in another city. Good luck! I'm sur it'll all work out.
Jen

#59385 - 01/30/01 12:04 PM Re: Help me, I don't know if I can leave USA...
Guapetona Offline

Hi Nuria,

My boyfriend is Murciano. He had a similar situation to yours. If your work permit is in order and with you at the time of your exit you will be fine. He has also not had this portion of the landing card stapled to his passport (for whatever reason: laziness, they forget, etc)and has not had a problem.
However, this is a very delicate issue and as the reg's change frequently I would double check. Go to the INS website and/or as Puna said try at a later time.

Suerte,
Liz

#59386 - 01/30/01 06:49 PM Re: Help me, I don't know if I can leave USA...
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
If you end up not being able to leave for fear of not being able to return, I can think of 900+ people who would be happy to help you dispose of your plane ticket...

Ok, that wasn't any help, at least for you. I suggest a call to the Spanish consulate as well as did Rgf.

#59387 - 01/30/01 08:00 PM Re: Help me, I don't know if I can leave USA...
Tracy Moral Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Nuria!
You most certainly are a permanent resident...under "conditional status" that is. You can basically come and go as you please. And you don't need ANY paper that you fill out on the airplane. That paper that they make you fill out is for tourists who visit the USA and must return back to Spain within 90 days. American citizens and permanent residents don't need to fill out that document as far as I remember. Just pass through immigration the same as before...under the "Citizens" area.

) tracy

#59388 - 01/31/01 12:33 AM Re: Help me, I don't know if I can leave USA...
chopchi Offline

Nuria-you won't have a problem leaving the USA but getting back into USA-they could really check on your dates of travel since you are so close to becoming a permanent resident-I know because I was a permanent resident but not yet US citizen and even then I had to watch how many days I was in/out of USA.To feel better, see if you can get a more intelligent person to fax you something in WRITING-just in case.The worst scenario would be to return to the States and be detained at the airport by Immigration-just have that verification w/signature and title on official letterhead...good luck

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Clay, hobag
Who's Online
0 registered (), 989 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments