Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#59 - 06/03/00 05:42 PM hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
spain in july Offline

I'm heading to spain in july and will be spending a few days in madrid. I've been reading the message board about hostels, and I plan to stay at either gonzalo or lopez. Are reservations needed for these (I will be heading down July 19)? Also, what are their proximities to train stations or the airport - I will be flying out of Madrid.

#60 - 06/03/00 07:09 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello "spain in july"! Interesting screen name you chose there.

I would suggest making reservations for ANY hostel or hotel at ANY time of year, but you could take your chances.

It seems that Hostal Gonzalo only accepts FAX/phone reservations and not online so keep this in mind. Hostal Lopez takes them online, but there's a good chance they'll be booked if you don't reserve soon. This is THE HOTTEST hostel in Madrid and is booked long in advance so do it now if you can!

Both hostels are within walking distance to Atocha train station, but a long metro ride to the airport. Go to my transportation page @ http://www.madridman.com/transprt.html for more information.

Have a wonderful in Madrid and Spain!

Saludos, MadridMan
MadridMan's Madrid & Sevilla Videos! Details @ http://www.MadridMan.com/videos.html

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 06-03-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#61 - 06/03/00 07:48 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
sallynielsen Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi spain in july,

Did you succeed booking either Gonzalo or Lopez in july? Because I tried to book for a few days in september - and they were already fully booked...

Curious to hear what you chose/found in Madrid...

Regards,
Sally
Denmark

#62 - 06/13/00 09:48 AM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
June in Hong Kong Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
yesterday, i have booked a twin room from Hostal Lopze via internet and the result is
positive!

#63 - 06/13/00 09:51 AM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
June in Hong Kong Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
OPs...sorry, forget to mention
i have booked that twin room for 7-11 August(4 nights)

#64 - 06/24/00 09:03 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
Matt from Toronto Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hey ... Gonzalo or Lopez. I've, over the years, stayed at both. Both are great. And don't forget the Cervantes, upstairs from the Gonzalo.

I was at the Lopez for two weeks last October and have nothing but great things to say about it -- and that includes the Trocha across the street. And, it was MadridMan's site that turned me on to it. Great people, very clean, good price ... can't be beat.

If you're booking the Lopez, make sure you ask for a "habitacion tranquillo" in the interior -- the street noise can be a bit much at night when the bars are happening.

Both hostals are in the Huertas area. It's full of great bars and retaurants and tapas places and on and on and on.

The Prado, the Thyssen, the reina Sophia, the Puerta del Sol, are all steps away.

Going back this October, and I can already taste and smell it. I'll probably try the Lopez again, if there's room. It's that nice a place!

However, given my experiences last year, book as far ahead as possible ... there may be many hostals in Madrid, but rooms can get hard to find, even in off-season times.

Matt from Toronto.

#65 - 06/24/00 09:53 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hi Matt In Toronto! Thanks for your impressions of both hostales/hostels! You're going back in October? I'll be in Madrid in early October myself and plan to stay in MANY of the hostels/hostales to which I have links on my website in order to have a better firsthand account/recommendation of them. And by the way, if you're there in early October you're cordially invited to the "Party With MadridMan: Version 2.0". We had a great time at El Brillante last year.

I made mention of asking for the interior room or "habitación tranquila" about hostels in general in a Hostal Dulcinea (in Madrid) thread. These rooms, while they have absolutely no interesting view, are much quieter than the streetside rooms.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#66 - 06/25/00 09:54 AM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
jackiealu Offline

Loc: placentia, ca, usa
Madrid Man:
I will be in Madrid October 6 thru 8 on a group tour of Spain. I would love to participate in your "Party with Madrid Man". When will you be telling us the when and where of this get together. As I am now 45 I prefer the group tour thing, but my last trip to Madrid (1973 during college) we stayed in what was then called "pensiones". Are hostels the same thing? Our group tour is staying at the Carlton. Do you know where this is and is it a good location for exploring Madrid? Any info will be appreciated. Hope the "Party" coincides with our time in Madrid. I really enjoy your website and looking forward to seeing Madrid again after 27 years!
Jackie

#67 - 06/25/00 11:58 AM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Jackiealu, check the ENTERTAINMENT forum as well as the front page of my website in September for exact dates/times. Hope to see you there!

Hostels (called "hostales" in Spanish) are identical to pensiones except for one small thing: the number of rooms. Pensiones have something like 8-10 rooms and hostels/hostales have more. Antonio can detail this, but I know that pensiones have fewer rooms and hostels/hostales have more, but they're the same.

I hadn't heard of Hotel Carlton in Madrid, but found some info/photos @ http://www.hotelbook.com/live/welcome/11406/
I see from its address, Paseo de las Delicias, 26 and from my Madrid city map that this is a very short distance south of the Atocha train station. While some of Madrid's ritzy'est hotels are just a little ways to the north on the Plaza Emperador Carlos V, I've heard that the area to the south of the train station is a little "questionable" at night. Again, maybe Antonio can enlighten us about this hotel and the area.

Saludos, MadridMan

#68 - 06/28/00 05:34 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
Matt from Toronto Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yeah MadridMan, I'm in the process of finalizing my times. Should have the dates set rather firmly within a couple of weeks.

I'd love to join you in a party or whatever in October. I'll keep checking your site to find out when.

Thanks for correcting the grammar and gender in my earlier message. Got lucky, there's a lady from Madrid! now working in my office, wo I can practice.

Aside from the Lopez, Cervantes or Gonzalo, can you recommend others in the same area (within a couple of blocks)? Just in case everyone is full. I was quite surprised last october when people I know had a hard time finding lodgings ... and this in a city with hostals everywhere.

See ya in Madrid.

Matt in Toronto.

#69 - 06/28/00 08:54 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hi again, Matt! I hope you're around to attend the "Party With MadridMan: Version 2.0" in October.

Other than the hostels/hostales you mention, others that I recommend in the area are Hostal Dulcinea (also SUPER-popular) and Hostal Martín/Cervelo. (check previous postings for feedback about these) I'm not positive (check their website), but I think Hostal Villar is in the area as well.

How luck you have a true madrileña working in your office! I'm envious!

Saludos, MadridMan
-------------------
Enjoy flamenco music? Visit MadridMan's ALL Spain Market @ http://www.MadridMan.com/allspainmarket.html

#70 - 06/29/00 11:33 AM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
Marie Offline

I just booked a double room with a private bath at Hostal Lopez for 6 nights in late July. I feel like this is too good to be true. How is this possible if they are so popular and it is peak tourist season?

#71 - 06/29/00 11:38 AM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
spain in july Offline

You probably got the room because you are staying for such an extended time. I tried to book for 2 nights and couldn't get in, then booked for 1 extra night, and they accepted the reservations! Kind of weird, but be happy that you are there! Now, they are completely booked for the time frame that I needed: July 19-21!

#72 - 06/29/00 12:29 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Spain in July, it sounds like you got "official confirmation" of your reservations. hehehee.. Congratulations! I suppose it's possible that they had some cancellations, but maybe it's true that they "hold open" a few rooms for longer-stay reservations. I really don't know.

And Marie, have you received YOUR official confirmation? I too am surprised you could "get in" with relatively short notice.

I hope you both will come back to this thread and tell us how you found Hostal Lopez. We're dying to know your firsthand account (sometimes people don't trust me since I'm the owner/operator of this website. boo hoo.. hehhee)

Antonio has written something regarding the "mystery" of suddenly-available rooms at hostels/hostales in Spain @ http://www.madridman.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000061.html

[Actually, I just posted but I'm not the original author of the message. It was something I saw on the Eurotrip board and I thought it was a very good explanation of how reservations work]

Saludos, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 06-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 06-30-2000).]

#73 - 06/30/00 12:19 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
Marie Offline

I received my confirmation, printed it, and am ready to go. Do you think there is any risk of me losing the room? I stayed in a terrible hostel in Rome and they conveniently gave our room to someone else for more money. Any knowledge of these things happening in Madrid?

#74 - 07/04/00 04:07 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
EAG Offline

That very thing happened to me at the Hostal Gonzalo. (they couldnt honor my reservation that I had not only made 3 weeks in advance but that I had left a deposit for). Luckily I had showed up very early (around 10 am) and so I managed to find another place. If you are worried about it, show up early! After noon, you can almost forget finding a place to stay.

As for places mysteriously opening up. In Barcelona, we called the Hostal Oliva (I highly recommend it) and they said they were booked for the rest of the week. Then we showed up the next morning and said we would need a room for 7 nights, and we got a room. My suggestion is make it seem like you need a room for as long as possible. i think they would rather have one person for 5 nights, than 5 different people for 1 night each.

[This message has been edited by EAG (edited 07-04-2000).]

#75 - 07/30/00 07:05 AM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
derek Offline

Loc: London. UK
I stayed at the Hostal Lopez (on Madrid man's recommendation) last year and it was great. It is unbeleivably cheap and despite being in a very old building the room was air conditioned (real air-con not a ceiling fan) and had been recently decorated to look very modern. I hope to go back to it in September as there are some very cheap flights from the UK at the moment.£50 return is just to good to refuse..

#76 - 07/31/00 09:01 AM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
angelicious Offline

Loc: Ireland
I'm going in September for 10 days and I've booked into Hostal Lopez, (thanks MadridMan for the recommendation). I've a double room with private bathroom booked, but I'd like to know what the rooms are like from someone who has already stayed there.

#77 - 07/31/00 04:48 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
derek Offline

Loc: London. UK
I've just had my booking accepted at the hostel Lopez and will be there in September.I stayed there last July with my wife and obviously enjoyed it enough to go back..
The rooms are smallish (or mine was..)but are decorated in a modern style with comfortable bed, good air-con and very good bathroom facilities.The building is very old and quite dark in places but the rooms look as if you are in a much newer building... The owners/managers were friendly (although didn't speak English)and the location is great. It is easy to reach most parts of the city fairly quickly. There seemed to be plenty of bars and restaurants around.

#78 - 08/01/00 12:22 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
dmcdougle Offline

Angelicious, we just got back from Madrid and had a great stay at Hostel Lopez. The young lady who greeted us on arrival spoke very good English. The room was very nice, the AC worked fine, though you barely need it since it usually cools down at night into the 60's.

Just don't be put off by the "lobby" or reception. The hall lights are on timers and you will get to know where they are.

We went to dinner twice at Champagneria Gala twice and had a great time. It a few blocks away on Calle Moratin. It is a fixed price menu that serves only paellas or variations with pasta and couscous. The meal comes with a bottle of house wine and will run you about 1800 ptas. It doesnt open until 9pm and it you want to eat in the main dining room reservations are a must(91 429 73 75)

I am certain you will love Madrid.

#79 - 08/21/00 12:10 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
JimGroh Offline

Loc: Tallahassee, Florida, USA
My wife and I have stayed in the Hostel
Lopez the last two years. The rooms are
small but very clean. The family that
runs the hostel are the nicest you will ever
meet. We highly recommend it, in fact
we are returning in February but this
time we are bringing our children and
their families. We like february because
the weather is very mild and the tourista
count is way down. Once again we would
like to thank Madrid Man for his great web
sight and wonderful videos. Hope to meet
him IRL someday.
Jim & Lou Groh

#80 - 09/07/00 08:13 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

[originally posted by...]

dc
Junior Member posted 09-07-2000 05:52 PM
-----------------------------------

If anybody is thinking about or are going to Madrid soon I just got back today after a 4 night trip with my wife and we had a great time.
This was my 2nd stay at the Lopez and while rooms are small and there can be a bit of climb for some people (especially my wife who is pregnant..) it is an excellent place for the money. The people running it speak absolutely no English (bar one young woman who was fluent but not often around) but they are very friendly and I heartily recommend it.
The temperature out there at the moment is great, in the high 80's and even low 90's.
I even managed to get out enough Spanish to get by (in the bar, in the cafe/restaurant, in the shop and at the station....)
Thanks for the help I've got here Madrid Man..

#81 - 09/16/00 07:25 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

[originally posted by...]

wazza
Junior Member posted 09-16-2000 06:41 PM
-----------------------------------
this is my first trip to spain and i have chosen Madrid and Hostal Lopez, should i stay at the one place or try some different ones i will be there for 5-6 nights. I have never stayed in a hostal before. not that i am concerned about that. Any advice grately received.

#82 - 09/16/00 07:30 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hi wazza!! It all depends. As you've read above and in several other threads, Hostal Lopez has a wonderful reputation and I too will be spending one night there this October (my second visit there). But, if you don't mind repacking and carrying your things to another hostel then do it. Enjoy Hostal Lopez! I'm sure you will.

Saludos, MadridMan

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 189 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments