MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#69 - 06/28/00 08:54 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi again, Matt! I hope you're around to attend the "Party With MadridMan: Version 2.0" in October.

Other than the hostels/hostales you mention, others that I recommend in the area are Hostal Dulcinea (also SUPER-popular) and Hostal Martín/Cervelo. (check previous postings for feedback about these) I'm not positive (check their website), but I think Hostal Villar is in the area as well.

How luck you have a true madrileña working in your office! I'm envious!

Saludos, MadridMan
-------------------
Enjoy flamenco music? Visit MadridMan's ALL Spain Market @ http://www.MadridMan.com/allspainmarket.html

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#70 - 06/29/00 11:33 AM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
Marie Offline

I just booked a double room with a private bath at Hostal Lopez for 6 nights in late July. I feel like this is too good to be true. How is this possible if they are so popular and it is peak tourist season?

#71 - 06/29/00 11:38 AM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
spain in july Offline

You probably got the room because you are staying for such an extended time. I tried to book for 2 nights and couldn't get in, then booked for 1 extra night, and they accepted the reservations! Kind of weird, but be happy that you are there! Now, they are completely booked for the time frame that I needed: July 19-21!

#72 - 06/29/00 12:29 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Spain in July, it sounds like you got "official confirmation" of your reservations. hehehee.. Congratulations! I suppose it's possible that they had some cancellations, but maybe it's true that they "hold open" a few rooms for longer-stay reservations. I really don't know.

And Marie, have you received YOUR official confirmation? I too am surprised you could "get in" with relatively short notice.

I hope you both will come back to this thread and tell us how you found Hostal Lopez. We're dying to know your firsthand account (sometimes people don't trust me since I'm the owner/operator of this website. boo hoo.. hehhee)

Antonio has written something regarding the "mystery" of suddenly-available rooms at hostels/hostales in Spain @ http://www.madridman.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/000061.html

[Actually, I just posted but I'm not the original author of the message. It was something I saw on the Eurotrip board and I thought it was a very good explanation of how reservations work]

Saludos, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 06-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Antonio (edited 06-30-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#73 - 06/30/00 12:19 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
Marie Offline

I received my confirmation, printed it, and am ready to go. Do you think there is any risk of me losing the room? I stayed in a terrible hostel in Rome and they conveniently gave our room to someone else for more money. Any knowledge of these things happening in Madrid?

#74 - 07/04/00 04:07 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
EAG Offline

That very thing happened to me at the Hostal Gonzalo. (they couldnt honor my reservation that I had not only made 3 weeks in advance but that I had left a deposit for). Luckily I had showed up very early (around 10 am) and so I managed to find another place. If you are worried about it, show up early! After noon, you can almost forget finding a place to stay.

As for places mysteriously opening up. In Barcelona, we called the Hostal Oliva (I highly recommend it) and they said they were booked for the rest of the week. Then we showed up the next morning and said we would need a room for 7 nights, and we got a room. My suggestion is make it seem like you need a room for as long as possible. i think they would rather have one person for 5 nights, than 5 different people for 1 night each.

[This message has been edited by EAG (edited 07-04-2000).]

#75 - 07/30/00 07:05 AM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
derek Offline

Loc: London. UK
I stayed at the Hostal Lopez (on Madrid man's recommendation) last year and it was great. It is unbeleivably cheap and despite being in a very old building the room was air conditioned (real air-con not a ceiling fan) and had been recently decorated to look very modern. I hope to go back to it in September as there are some very cheap flights from the UK at the moment.£50 return is just to good to refuse..

#76 - 07/31/00 09:01 AM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
angelicious Offline

Loc: Ireland
I'm going in September for 10 days and I've booked into Hostal Lopez, (thanks MadridMan for the recommendation). I've a double room with private bathroom booked, but I'd like to know what the rooms are like from someone who has already stayed there.

#77 - 07/31/00 04:48 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
derek Offline

Loc: London. UK
I've just had my booking accepted at the hostel Lopez and will be there in September.I stayed there last July with my wife and obviously enjoyed it enough to go back..
The rooms are smallish (or mine was..)but are decorated in a modern style with comfortable bed, good air-con and very good bathroom facilities.The building is very old and quite dark in places but the rooms look as if you are in a much newer building... The owners/managers were friendly (although didn't speak English)and the location is great. It is easy to reach most parts of the city fairly quickly. There seemed to be plenty of bars and restaurants around.

#78 - 08/01/00 12:22 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
dmcdougle Offline

Angelicious, we just got back from Madrid and had a great stay at Hostel Lopez. The young lady who greeted us on arrival spoke very good English. The room was very nice, the AC worked fine, though you barely need it since it usually cools down at night into the 60's.

Just don't be put off by the "lobby" or reception. The hall lights are on timers and you will get to know where they are.

We went to dinner twice at Champagneria Gala twice and had a great time. It a few blocks away on Calle Moratin. It is a fixed price menu that serves only paellas or variations with pasta and couscous. The meal comes with a bottle of house wine and will run you about 1800 ptas. It doesnt open until 9pm and it you want to eat in the main dining room reservations are a must(91 429 73 75)

I am certain you will love Madrid.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 186 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments