Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#59 - 06/03/00 05:42 PM hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
spain in july Offline

I'm heading to spain in july and will be spending a few days in madrid. I've been reading the message board about hostels, and I plan to stay at either gonzalo or lopez. Are reservations needed for these (I will be heading down July 19)? Also, what are their proximities to train stations or the airport - I will be flying out of Madrid.

#60 - 06/03/00 07:09 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hello "spain in july"! Interesting screen name you chose there.

I would suggest making reservations for ANY hostel or hotel at ANY time of year, but you could take your chances.

It seems that Hostal Gonzalo only accepts FAX/phone reservations and not online so keep this in mind. Hostal Lopez takes them online, but there's a good chance they'll be booked if you don't reserve soon. This is THE HOTTEST hostel in Madrid and is booked long in advance so do it now if you can!

Both hostels are within walking distance to Atocha train station, but a long metro ride to the airport. Go to my transportation page @ http://www.madridman.com/transprt.html for more information.

Have a wonderful in Madrid and Spain!

Saludos, MadridMan
MadridMan's Madrid & Sevilla Videos! Details @ http://www.MadridMan.com/videos.html

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 06-03-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#61 - 06/03/00 07:48 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
sallynielsen Offline

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Hi spain in july,

Did you succeed booking either Gonzalo or Lopez in july? Because I tried to book for a few days in september - and they were already fully booked...

Curious to hear what you chose/found in Madrid...

Regards,
Sally
Denmark

#62 - 06/13/00 09:48 AM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
June in Hong Kong Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
yesterday, i have booked a twin room from Hostal Lopze via internet and the result is
positive!

#63 - 06/13/00 09:51 AM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
June in Hong Kong Offline

Loc: Hong Kong
OPs...sorry, forget to mention
i have booked that twin room for 7-11 August(4 nights)

#64 - 06/24/00 09:03 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
Matt from Toronto Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hey ... Gonzalo or Lopez. I've, over the years, stayed at both. Both are great. And don't forget the Cervantes, upstairs from the Gonzalo.

I was at the Lopez for two weeks last October and have nothing but great things to say about it -- and that includes the Trocha across the street. And, it was MadridMan's site that turned me on to it. Great people, very clean, good price ... can't be beat.

If you're booking the Lopez, make sure you ask for a "habitacion tranquillo" in the interior -- the street noise can be a bit much at night when the bars are happening.

Both hostals are in the Huertas area. It's full of great bars and retaurants and tapas places and on and on and on.

The Prado, the Thyssen, the reina Sophia, the Puerta del Sol, are all steps away.

Going back this October, and I can already taste and smell it. I'll probably try the Lopez again, if there's room. It's that nice a place!

However, given my experiences last year, book as far ahead as possible ... there may be many hostals in Madrid, but rooms can get hard to find, even in off-season times.

Matt from Toronto.

#65 - 06/24/00 09:53 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hi Matt In Toronto! Thanks for your impressions of both hostales/hostels! You're going back in October? I'll be in Madrid in early October myself and plan to stay in MANY of the hostels/hostales to which I have links on my website in order to have a better firsthand account/recommendation of them. And by the way, if you're there in early October you're cordially invited to the "Party With MadridMan: Version 2.0". We had a great time at El Brillante last year.

I made mention of asking for the interior room or "habitación tranquila" about hostels in general in a Hostal Dulcinea (in Madrid) thread. These rooms, while they have absolutely no interesting view, are much quieter than the streetside rooms.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#66 - 06/25/00 09:54 AM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
jackiealu Offline

Loc: placentia, ca, usa
Madrid Man:
I will be in Madrid October 6 thru 8 on a group tour of Spain. I would love to participate in your "Party with Madrid Man". When will you be telling us the when and where of this get together. As I am now 45 I prefer the group tour thing, but my last trip to Madrid (1973 during college) we stayed in what was then called "pensiones". Are hostels the same thing? Our group tour is staying at the Carlton. Do you know where this is and is it a good location for exploring Madrid? Any info will be appreciated. Hope the "Party" coincides with our time in Madrid. I really enjoy your website and looking forward to seeing Madrid again after 27 years!
Jackie

#67 - 06/25/00 11:58 AM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Jackiealu, check the ENTERTAINMENT forum as well as the front page of my website in September for exact dates/times. Hope to see you there!

Hostels (called "hostales" in Spanish) are identical to pensiones except for one small thing: the number of rooms. Pensiones have something like 8-10 rooms and hostels/hostales have more. Antonio can detail this, but I know that pensiones have fewer rooms and hostels/hostales have more, but they're the same.

I hadn't heard of Hotel Carlton in Madrid, but found some info/photos @ http://www.hotelbook.com/live/welcome/11406/
I see from its address, Paseo de las Delicias, 26 and from my Madrid city map that this is a very short distance south of the Atocha train station. While some of Madrid's ritzy'est hotels are just a little ways to the north on the Plaza Emperador Carlos V, I've heard that the area to the south of the train station is a little "questionable" at night. Again, maybe Antonio can enlighten us about this hotel and the area.

Saludos, MadridMan

#68 - 06/28/00 05:34 PM Re: hostel gonzalo or hostel lopez?: Madrid
Matt from Toronto Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Yeah MadridMan, I'm in the process of finalizing my times. Should have the dates set rather firmly within a couple of weeks.

I'd love to join you in a party or whatever in October. I'll keep checking your site to find out when.

Thanks for correcting the grammar and gender in my earlier message. Got lucky, there's a lady from Madrid! now working in my office, wo I can practice.

Aside from the Lopez, Cervantes or Gonzalo, can you recommend others in the same area (within a couple of blocks)? Just in case everyone is full. I was quite surprised last october when people I know had a hard time finding lodgings ... and this in a city with hostals everywhere.

See ya in Madrid.

Matt in Toronto.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
bong leal70, traveler2020, marcosvila31, Donna Sallstrom, bettyhutt07
7772 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 186 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments