Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 8 of 24 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 23 24 >
Topic Options
#58976 - 01/16/01 07:55 AM Re: De donde eres tu??
El Boqueron Offline

Loc: UK
Xena - the net is used much more in the US than anywhere else. Plus, this is a US web site (of course!), so Americans are "at home" so to speak.

#58977 - 01/16/01 10:01 AM Re: De donde eres tu??
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
I'm from Hartlepool in England, but stopped hanging monkeys fifteen years ago and have lived in Estepona, Malaga ever since.

#58978 - 01/16/01 11:16 AM Re: De donde eres tu??
Vallekano Offline

Loc: Vallekas, Madrid, España
Angela, no I don't believe in Santa Claus or the fairy tooth, however el ratoncito Perez and Los Reyes Magos are a diferent issue.

As Nuria pointed out I wasn't trying to be rude if you took it that way well.. hon you have a problem, as I said the K in Vallekas represent the pride of being from Vallekas, you may think that it is low class and for ignorant people to use it but hey, not all of us can be high class like you right?

Un consejo, no te tomes tan en serio las cosas, es malo.. te salen arrugas antes.

Telmo the angry ValleKano.

#58979 - 01/16/01 11:45 AM Re: De donde eres tu??
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Many years ago, when I was living in Madrid (Barrio de Salamanca), Puente Vallecas and Villa Vallecas were out in the 'burbs' where people went on weekends. Cercanias didn't go there yet and public transportation to Vallecas was pretty sparse. But Madrid has grown outward. Now the Cercanias and any number of Bus lines serve Vallecas; and I guess like Torrejon de Ardoz and Alcala de Henares, it is now considered a fashionable place to live.
As for the historical perspective and the spelling of Vallecas with a 'k,' it sounds like an Euskera preference to me.
Things change!
I've even got a cuñado living in Leganés. Go figure!

[This message has been edited by Eddie (edited 01-16-2001).]

#58980 - 01/16/01 11:46 AM Re: De donde eres tu??
Anchovy Front Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Southern Spain
Steady on, old chap! (Origins - frightfully English!)

Mr Telmo the Angry Vallekano, you are right about not trying to be rude. It seems to be effortless!

Shake hands (But don't come out fighting, as they say in the square ring!)

#58981 - 01/16/01 12:43 PM Re: De donde eres tu??
Kurt Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
Message to Xena, the embarrased Romanian-

No need to be shy. I, for one (and I hope I speak for others),am glad that you are here. As a glance through this thread (or around this site in general)will show, this is an international community. Although we all logged on because of an interest in Spain and things Spanish, the threads and discussions often veer off into many different topics (Politics, US Elections, race relations, terrorism, Art around the world, to name a few). The more different perspectives and veiwpoints represented, the better, I say. Other than you, I've not seen or heard any others from Eastern Europe or the Balkans. So keep on postin', with Pride!

Yours multi-nationally,
Kurt

#58982 - 01/16/01 01:36 PM Re: De donde eres tu??
Jaime Offline

Hi Xena,
I think that sites like this are dominated by Americans because its content is in English. There are other sites and other versions of search engines that are in many other languages and at those sites you won't find many Americans because we don't speak the language. When I posted the original message I wasn't just asking where people were from only in the U.S. but any city in the world. It was just an observation that most(not all) were Americans.
Welcome aboard. Fresh perspectives are always good.

#58983 - 01/17/01 11:14 AM Re: De donde eres tu??
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
My, how busy we've been since i've been gone...Everytime I read this post I kept passing it up, well now i'd like to share...I'm here in San Diego, via, Honolulu and New Mexico...and for a short time, Madrid...
Anyway, I missed you guys,when I was in Spain. E-mailing family, I still managed to read a few posts, but being away daily was difficult. Glad to be back.

#58984 - 01/17/01 11:33 AM Re: De donde eres tu??
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
Anchovy Front-
Sorry to be so nosy, but what is it that you do out there in Estepona? Or are you fortunate enough to not have to work?!
Cheers-
Jen
BTW, hi Kurt

#58985 - 01/18/01 08:19 AM Re: De donde eres tu??
Xena Offline

Loc: Bucharest
Well, in fact I am not at all embarassed, I was just making a joke. But I think that about half of the people of this world know at least a few words in English. You can't deny that it has became a international language. But I think that in US you have some advantages when using the net (like preferential prices for the phone net lines or so) and I know that in US computer games on line or not are selling almost triple than in Europe. Probably the net and the computers are used much more than in other parts of the world.
And I am in a very little minority here, in Romania cause I am definetely and with all my heart against emigration (which is very very rare in my country). So I don't have common opinions between my conationals on most of the subjects.

Page 8 of 24 < 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 23 24 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Ben Luna
Who's Online
0 registered (), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments