Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#58634 - 01/12/01 11:45 PM Re: Would you help me with my Spaniard party?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
[originally posted by Nuria.. Subject: Update on my diversity party]

Remember that I asked for help because I am having a diversity party at work? Well, I have decide what I am going too do (actually others have decided for me). First I have to base my booze (I don't like that word) on a holiday in Spain. I am going to choose "La Feria de Abril". I am only allowed to play 2 songs and I can only have "samples" of food and drinks. So I am going to have tapas and sangria, but they have told me that I only can give a very small cup (sample one) to each people that ask for it. So, it turns that my wonderful explanation about the wonders of Spain and its history and people is going to be one tapa and one small sangria What kind of diversity party is this one!?!?!?

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#58635 - 01/13/01 09:40 AM Re: Would you help me with my Spaniard party?
Tracy Moral Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
hey Nuria...

I know I've said this before, but most Americans who even know where Spain is and a bit about it's culture, know mostly of the region of Andalucia and the Moorish influences...Most know NOTHING of your celtic influences in the North. That might be a different route to go if you want to show a side of Spain, different from the usual.

#58636 - 01/14/01 12:05 PM Re: Would you help me with my Spaniard party?
Nuria Offline

Tracy, you are right, but I have to choose the closest "fiesta" and it is Semana Santa or Feria de Abril. I don't know if they have a fiesta on the north of Spain. But if someone has a good idea...

#58637 - 01/14/01 02:25 PM Re: Would you help me with my Spaniard party?
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Nuria, how about San Isidro? Como eres madrileña....(Maybe if you don't tell them it's 3 months too early they won't notice )

You can dress like a chulapa, serve rosquillas, and play (and dance?) a chotis!

#58638 - 01/20/01 10:13 AM Re: Would you help me with my Spaniard party?
Nuria Offline

Could you, please, give me a list of famous Spaniards that you know? I want to include that in my presentation for the party. Thanks!

#58639 - 01/20/01 01:10 PM Re: Would you help me with my Spaniard party?
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Famous Spaniards that your colleagues might have heard of, or that they SHOULD hear of? In the arts, music, popular culture? Politicians? Anyway, they should know the following names: Goya, Picasso, Velazquez, Placido Domingo, King Juan Carlos, Gaudi, Nobel prize winner Camilo Jose Cela, Pedro Almodovar, Antonio Banderas, the writers Garcia Lorca, Unamuno; philosopher Ortega y Gasset; current famous architect Rafael Moneo; Los reyes catolicos Fernando + Isabel; Hernan Cortes, Pizarro and other "conquistadores"; actresses Marisa Paredes, Victoria Abril; feminist writer/thinker Lydia Falcon; Carlos Saura; well, that's what first comes to mind!

#58640 - 01/24/01 06:26 AM Re: Would you help me with my Spaniard party?
Miguelito Offline

Of course there are fiestas in the north, ie. "la fiesta de la sidra", although I don't think they'll let you "escanciar" there. For music it would be really good a "jota", maybe you don't know that is the most extended regional dance of Spain, even in Andalucia (Sevillanas is like a fashion, they are only from Sevilla really), if you could dance one it would be really funny. A "muñeira" could be also funny. I think pasodoble is more boring, but you could think in the fiestas you have been, una autentica fiesta de pueblo.
If you could get a "bota" or "porrón" that would be also funny unless you dress expensive clothes, but maybe you could get some kind of delantal.
I think you could play also "chinos" or any other game(obviously you won't seat to play domino or mus), maybe just to win a tapa.
I think if you don't have money problems, what you plan to take is really good, but don't forget a good bread for jamon and queso.

#58641 - 01/25/01 03:04 PM Re: Would you help me with my Spaniard party?
mclarke Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
Nuria
How did your party come out? Where you able to give your co-workers a taste and glimpse of Spain?

I really enjoyed my 3-weeks stay in Madrid and the Andalusia cities. I love Cadiz and its people. I love the ocean, the mercado and park near the University.

Next time, 2003, I'll probably do norther part of Spain.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments